The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
New Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
New Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 Posted: Apr 1, 2010 7:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: New Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

We've just published a new article, HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth. This is the first installment in a two-article series. Part 1 provides the historical background behind the evolution that led to the server-push technologies that are implemented in HTML5, and goes into the details of Server-Sent Events; Part 2 will cover the new WebSockets API in detail, and provide concluding remarks.

If you're old enough to have watched the evolution of the web -- or perhaps you participted in it -- you are familiar with the growth from static pages to today's rich internet applications (RIAs). But, you may not know the details of how an interactive web was foisted onto the strict request/response structure of HTTP.

In Part 1, Gregor goes into the details of this evolution, describing the HTTP request/response mechanism, then AJAX and Comet:

While Ajax is a popular solution for dynamically pulling data requests from the server, it does nothing to help to push data to the client. Sure, a server push channel could be emulated by an AJAX polling approach as described above, but this would waste resources. Comet, also known as reverse Ajax, enhances the Ajax communication pattern by defining architecture for pushing data from the server to the client. For instance, the Comet pattern would allow pushing a 'new mail available' event from the mail server to the WebMail client immediately.

Then Gregor introduces HTML5 Server-Side Events.

HTML5 also applies the Comet communication pattern by defining Server-Sent Events (SSE), in effect standardizing Comet for all standards-compliant web browsers. The Server-Sent Events specification "defines an API for opening an HTTP connection for receiving push notifications from a server."

HTML5 offers developers a new route for developing rich internet applications, alongside Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight. Gregor also compares Server-Side Events with the Bayeux and BOSH Comet protocols:

Although Server-Sent Events do have less functionality than Bayeux or BOSH, Server-Sent Events have the potential to be become the dominant protocol for use cases where a unidirectional server push channel is required only (which is the case in many instances). The Sever-Sent Events protocol is much simpler than Bayeux or BOSH. For instance, you are able to test the event stream by using telnet. No handshake protocols have to be implemented. Just send the HTTP GET request and get the event stream. Furthermore Server-Sent Events will be supported natively by all HTML5-compatible browsers

If you'd like to learn some of the details about the evolution of the web into an RIA platform, and where we're headed with HTML5, read Gregor Roth's HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1. Part 2 will be coming up within the next couple weeks.

In Java Today, Janice J. Heiss has published an interview she did with Java Champion Yakov Fain: On Enterprise Software:

Java Champion Yakov Fain is a Managing Director at Farata Systems where he's responsible for Enterprise Architecture and emerging technologies. He has authored several Java books, dozens of technical articles, and has a popular blog. He holds a BS and MS in Applied Mathematics, leads the Princeton Java Users Group, and is an Adobe Certified Flex Instructor. In addition, he hosts podcasts in English and Russian in which he explores issues of interest to IT professionals...

gnu_andrew announces IcedTea6 1.7.3 Released!:

We are pleased to announce the release of IcedTea6 1.7.3 (2010/03/31)! The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from OpenJDK6 using Free Software build tools. It also includes the only Free Java plugin and Web Start implementation, and support for additional architectures over and above x86, x86_64 and SPARC via the Zero assembler port...

The Oracle Technology Network recently published Daniel Amadei's article, Joining Oracle Complex Event Processing and J2ME to React to Location and Positioning Events:

Real-time processing of data is becoming more important every day. The speed of changes in all kinds of market segments is increasing more than ever. Conversely, the time for reaction is getting shorter. This article shows how the concept of complex event processing (CEP) can help us address these challenges—CEP helps analyze events and recognize patterns in the cloud of information, making it possible to react to events as soon as they happen. This article illustrates what can be achieved with CEP and event-driven architecture...

In the Weblogs, I posted Geertjan Discovers Raytheon Applying NetBeans in Mission Critical U.S. Department of Defense Software:

Geertjan Wielenga pointed out the Raytheon Virtual Control enterprise management and control system, "yet another NetBeans Platform application in the defense sector." I'm sure I must have sent out an application for employment to Raytheon multiple times during my career as a software engineer, since they have offices in my region and the work is in the sector where I've done most of my development. So, I find the fact that Raytheon would choose NetBeans as the platform for developing an application whose "robust capabilities are being applied across the LVC domains to support some of the most critical development programs in the Department of Defense (DoD)" to be yet another indicator of the stability and reliability that NetBeans provides...

Sahoo talks about his EJB as OSGi Service demo at eclipsecon:

I will wrap up my experience at eclipsecon. This was my first time at eclipsecon. Folks who had been here earlier told me that this year there was a lot of topics around eclipse runtime projects – so the focus has shifted from tools to runtime. Overall I liked eclipsecon. My topic, OSGi & Java EE in GlassFish, was also of the same type. The slides of my talk are available here. The source code for the sample used to demonstrate “Modularized Enterprise Java Application” running in GlassFish is now available here. Just download, unzip and run it following the steps listed below...

Juliano Viana reviews Nested forms - what a WickeT idea!:

Have you ever got into the situation where you feel like you need to stretch the limits of HTTP form processing? Sometimes when developing complex web applications you end up with a form that has just too many features on it. This situation is particularly common when the application uses Ajax forms, as these forms often end up accumulating an enormous amount of funcionality - different actions for different buttons, events related to list choices or check box changes, partial screen updates etc. One of the applications I'm currently working on has a requirement that the user should be able to upload files as part of bigger system interactions...

In the Forums, in the Metro and JAXB forum, mikekey has a question involving the Schemagen maven plugin and schema file name: I have a configuration as follows with my maven schemagen and expect a file name as specified for my schema. However the schema produced is still just in a file named 'schema1.xsd'. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? ...

In the GlassFish WebTier forum, rdean400 asks about the Mojarra 2.0.3 release?: Is there a feeling for when Mojarra 2.0.3 will be released? It has at least 2 fixes we're looking for, but we're constrained against running pre-GA software in production. If there's no ETA, would it be possible to start that discussion?

asomardi finds that Start Cluster with GF 2.1.1. is slower then with GF 2.1: Hi, we have migrated GF 2.1p05 to GF 2.1.1p03. Since this update the start of our 4 clusters with 30 JVM instances lasts more than 20 times longer, because the DAS server is starting all instances in serial mode. Even if we start the instances...

Our Spotlight this week is Window / dock icon for ribbon frame in Flamingo 5.0:

The application menu button in the ribbon component from Flamingo component suite is a big round button in the top left corner of the ribbon. It is not a direct replacement for the usual application menu bar, but rather a place to hold actions that (as a general rule) do not affect the visual content of the document – such as saving, printing, sharing etc. Prior to version 5.0, the ribbon frame...

This week's java.net Poll asks What do you like most about the new GlassFish Roadmap?. The poll will run until Friday.

We've just published a new Feature Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth; this two-part series explains the new Server-Sent Events and WebSockets API in HTML5. We're also featuring Flexible Swing Reporting Using JIDE Aggregate and Pivot Tables, by Malcolm Davis (in which you learn about a Swing report alternative that provides 90% of the solution with 10% of the effort); and Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins (learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0).

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: New Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1

Topic: Legislation setting new regulations on Connecticut call centers clears first hurdle Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A Software Bug may Kill You

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use