The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Featured java.net Project: UAMath - Universally Applicable Mathematics Calculator Suite

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Featured java.net Project: UAMath - Universally Applicable Mathematics Calculator Suite Posted: Mar 25, 2010 7:29 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Featured java.net Project: UAMath - Universally Applicable Mathematics Calculator Suite
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

In my 30+ years in the software engineering industry, I've made most of my money developing software that is used by scientists, and also engineers who build instruments that have some sort of utility for scientific research. So, I was quite interested when the owner of the UAMath project contacted me, filling me in on some of the capabilities of this interesting java.net open source project.

The full title of the UAMath project is "Universally Applicable Mathematics Calculator Suite"; a broader description is:

UAMath is a Set of Calculators for the New Force Material Equivalency and The Compression Decompression Model of the Universe. Java developments imply an active role in information restructuring. UAMath's new physical model suggests that matter can be created.

Now, even though I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Physics (and in English) from a pretty good New England liberal arts college (Colby College), and even though my interest in Physics has led me to keep somewhat abreast of theoretical adventures like String theory, and has led me to often think (in my limited free time) about the significance of Stephen Hawking's argument that black holes do not destroy everything that falls into them (quite the reverse, in fact, if Hawking is right!) -- despite all of this, I actually don't consider myself an expert in modern physics (umm, does that surprise you?) -- so I cannot have an enlightened opinion on the UAMath project's model that suggests that matter can be created. I'm sure, though, that like me the project owner has found Hawking's black hole thinking quite relevant.

But getting back to the basics of the project, the Universally Applicable Mathematics Calculator Suite includes a "Circumference Diameter Calculator and AMU GEV conversion, UAMath is a Set of Calculators for the New Force Material Equivalency and Compression Decompression Model of the Universe." The project provides a binary executable that runs on all operating systems (that support Java, of course); or, you can download the NetBeans source code.

The UAMath project features include:

• AMU GEV Conversion Calc
  • Circumference Diameter Calc
  • Compression Decompression Ratio Calc
  • Force Constituency List Asc.
  • Force Constituency List Desc.
  • Force Material Equivalency Calc
  • Material Force Equivalency Calc
  • Shape Degree Calc
  • Subatomic Particles Calc
  • Sub-SubAtomic Particles Calc
  • NotePad ClipBoard Memory Application
  • Relativity Calculator
  • Physics Math Help Applet

UAMath is something I'd like to play with at some point. Maybe this weekend?

In other Java Today stories, Arun Gupta shows and tells what happened on Day 1 - Tech Days 2010, Hyderabad:

Ravichandra Kulur and band kick started the Tech Days, Hyderabad 2010 with flute, guitar, keyboard and drums playing Carnatic music. Ravi, a bachelor in Electrical Engineering, while nurturing his classical flute playing skills decided to take up music professionally from 1999...

Kirill Grouchnikov continues his presentation and analysis of user interface techniques in Design, uninterrupted #5:

Today's post highlights the vibrant design of 84 Colors, the personal showcase of Cristiana Bardeanu. It has a strong nature theme that starts with desaturated earthen browns with slight background textures, continues with contained areas of desaturated season colors (red, orange, yellow, green) and is further reinforced by well-placed decorational elements of leaves and animals. An unintrusive flash animation of leaves and squirrel completes the picture and adds final polishing touches...

In the Weblogs, I wrote a small notification stating that No Formal Arrangement/Agreement Exists between java.net and Sonatype:

You may have heard about an announcement about a formal arrangement between java.net and Sonatype. Unfortunately, this announcement is premature at best. While Oracle has talked with Sonatype in the past few weeks, there is no contract in place at the moment. We are committed to providing better support for Maven in the future, but we are exploring several options. As soon as we have made a final decision, we will make a formal announcement on Java.net.

Manfred Riem is seeking help with Using JSF 2.x on Jonas 5.x:

I have been trying to get JSF 2.0 to work on Jonas 5.x, but I haven't succeeded so far. If any of you know how to get it to work I would like to know so I can update this short article.

John Ferguson Smart is Announcing a new open source book in the making: "Continuous Integration with Hudson":

Continuous Integration is a cornerstone of modern software development best practices. Hudson, an Open Source Continuous Integration tool, is by far the most popular Continuous Integration tool on the market, and for good reason! It's intuitive user interface and powerful features make setting up a Continuous Integration service a real breeze. I am pleased to announce that a new book on Hudson is currently in the making...

In the Forums, mmc2 follows up on his question Re: font.substringWidth() to find the length of a string in pixels: Thank you very much for your help. I feel that I have some competence in JME but I know that there are some gaps. Could you please point me to some documentation that would explain the issues here...

In the GlassFish forum, mfortin finds slf4j not working: I'm using slf4j w/ log4j but I can't get it log to my log file. In one setup we have it logs to standard out (server.log) but in another config, it doesn't log at all. I’ve also tried logback with no success. In no case will it actually log to my...

In the GlassFish WebTier forum, tracker09 is getting a 404 on image referenced by css file included in the page: I have a page that references images directly and some that are referenced by an included css. Using the new resourcing for 2.0, I am able to display the images directly. An example of this can be seen below...

Our Spotlight this week is GlassFish Podcast Episode #051 - Java Persistence 2.0 (JPA) by Linda DeMichiel:

This GlassFish Podcast episode includes Supporting slides along with a downloadable MP3. Suggested additional reference materials are Java Persistence 2.0 (JSR 317), the Java EE 6 Tutorial, and the GlassFish v3 documentation.

This week's java.net Poll lists several Java EE related statements, and asks Which Java EE statement do you agree with most? The poll will close on Friday.

Our latest Feature Article is Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins -- learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0. We're also featuring Dibyendu Roy's Rethinking Multi-Threaded Design Principles; in the emerging multicore/multiprocessor world, multi-threaded programming is critical, in my view. And in Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements?, Jesse Davis invites us to look beyond Type 4 architecture to address the latest requirements of the enterprise Java ecosystem.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Featured java.net Project: UAMath - Universally Applicable Mathematics Calculator Suite

Topic: Facebook, Twitter users prone to burglaries, say insurers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Know before you go on Spring Break: Pat-downs, hand swabs, body scan more likely at airports

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use