The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
OTN TechCast: Roberto Chinnici Discusses Java EE 6

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
OTN TechCast: Roberto Chinnici Discusses Java EE 6 Posted: Mar 24, 2010 11:30 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: OTN TechCast: Roberto Chinnici Discusses Java EE 6
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

I wasn't able to attend the March 19 Oracle Technology Network TechCast (Java EE 6 Roundup with Roberto Chinnici) when it happened -- but it's now online, so I watched it this morning. The brief summary for the TechCast is:

One of the key engineers in the Java EE 6 effort explains the latest developments about profiles, annotations, APIs, extensibility, and pruning - as well as how the JEE 6 focus on flexibility, extensibility, and ease of use manifests in GlassFish v3.

Profiles were the first topic of discussion. The advantage of profiles is that the developer can select a specific set of packages that are suitable for the application that's being developed. In the past, there was simply Java EE, in its entirety, and if you needed anything extra you had to bring in those packages, creating what could become ultimately a dependency nightmare for larger applications that are worked on by multiple developers.

Roberto talked specifically about the Java EE 6 Web Profile. This includes rules that define how different components should work together, for example, servlets and transactions.

Roberto also noted that the profiles capability is a general capability, that facilitates the configuration of new profiles by developers. Each profile will have its own set of rules and its own configuration with respect to the tools and components that are included in the profile.

The discussion moved onto annotations, which are extended in Java EE 6 to web containers. Annotations also aid in removing the need for creating web.xml descriptors. Additional topics of discussion include dependency injection; extensibility; the pruning process and proposed technologies that may be declared optional in the future; GlassFish.

Go to Java EE 6 Roundup with Roberto Chinnici to view the TechCast.

In other Java Today news, Peligri asks Which Way From Here? GlassFish RoadMap:

Do as Alice and ask one of our Cheshire cats about the roadmap for the open source GlassFish Server under the new Oracle ownership. The first opportunity is Tuesday morning, at 9am PT, when Steve Harris will provide a short overview during his EclipseCon keynote. EclipseCon also has other opportunities...

Toni Epple discovers More (powerful) Code Templates in 6.9:

In NetBeans there are some useful Code Templates, like "sout" which, when you type it in the editor and hit "Tab" will be expanded to "System.out.println();". But you’re not limited to the predefined ones, you can also create your own templates. I've been playing around with Code Templates recently and was a bit disappointed, because the avaiable set of default parameters is quite limited. E.g. I tried to add some nice templates for logging, and I was missing a way to get hold of the class name of the current file...

In the Weblogs, I wrote a small notification stating that No Formal Arrangement/Agreement Exists between java.net and Sonatype:

You may have heard about an announcement about a formal arrangement between java.net and Sonatype. Unfortunately, this announcement is premature at best. While Oracle has talked with Sonatype in the past few weeks, there is no contract in place at the moment. We are committed to providing better support for Maven in the future, but we are exploring several options. As soon as we have made a final decision, we will make a formal announcement on Java.net.

Manfred Riem is seeking help with Using JSF 2.x on Jonas 5.x:

I have been trying to get JSF 2.0 to work on Jonas 5.x, but I haven't succeeded so far. If any of you know how to get it to work I would like to know so I can update this short article.

John Ferguson Smart is Announcing a new open source book in the making: "Continuous Integration with Hudson":

Continuous Integration is a cornerstone of modern software development best practices. Hudson, an Open Source Continuous Integration tool, is by far the most popular Continuous Integration tool on the market, and for good reason! It's intuitive user interface and powerful features make setting up a Continuous Integration service a real breeze. I am pleased to announce that a new book on Hudson is currently in the making...

In the Forums, jsexton has questions regarding the Glassfish v2 Log File Location: I'm attempting to change the location of server.log on a v2 server. There seems to be a problem where as the log file starts out in the directory I'd like to use but reverts to the default location on the first log file rotation. Is this a...

jebricker is Debugging a WSIT problem: I'm trying to debug a problem with a Java app requesting a SAML token from ADFS 2.0. I have a problem when the app requests the MEX data from the ADFS SecurityTokenService. The WS I'm calling has a policy set up that requires a SAML token...

In the JXTA forum, galato posted JXME to JXME: Draw Nodes and Links on JxMapViewer: Hi all, I know the code is probably the best documentation (even though the Programmer's Guide is not all too bad), however, there are still higher level architecture concepts in the functionality of JXTA that are not easy to...

Our Spotlight this week is GlassFish Podcast Episode #051 - Java Persistence 2.0 (JPA) by Linda DeMichiel:

This GlassFish Podcast episode includes Supporting slides along with a downloadable MP3. Suggested additional reference materials are Java Persistence 2.0 (JSR 317), the Java EE 6 Tutorial, and the GlassFish v3 documentation.

This week's java.net Poll lists several Java EE related statements, and asks Which Java EE statement do you agree with most? The poll will close on Friday.

Our latest Feature Article is Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins -- learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0. We're also featuring Dibyendu Roy's Rethinking Multi-Threaded Design Principles; in the emerging multicore/multiprocessor world, multi-threaded programming is critical, in my view. And in Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements?, Jesse Davis invites us to look beyond Type 4 architecture to address the latest requirements of the enterprise Java ecosystem.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: OTN TechCast: Roberto Chinnici Discusses Java EE 6

Topic: Twitter in legal trouble after triggering Sarkozy infidelity rumour mill Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Kerala oracles and devotees sing filthy songs on Hindu deities

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use