The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Eclipse Modeling Framework

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Nick Lothian

Nickname: nicklothia

Nick Lothian is Java Developer & Team Leader
Eclipse Modeling Framework Posted: Jan 13, 2004 3:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Nick Lothian.
Original Post: Eclipse Modeling Framework
Feed Title: BadMagicNumber
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Badmagicnumber
Feed Description: Java, Development and Me
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Nick Lothian
Latest Posts From BadMagicNumber

Advertisement

If you are interested in code generation, model driven architecture or in metaprogramming generally, have a look at Eclipse EMF.

To put it simply, you can create an entire Java GUI application (okay - an Eclipse Plugin) by defining your model in Java classes (or it can import a Rational Rose model or use the Omondo UML plugin for Eclipse).

I found the existing functionality amazing: Following the tutorial it took me 30 minutes to have a fully functioning Eclipse plugin that allowed data editing and persistance to XML. The only code that I needed to write was some interfaces that defined how my data interacted using the JavaBeans model, and everything else was generated.

The crazy thing is that this application generation I'm raving about is really just a sample for the tutorial - developers are supposed to use EMF as a tool to generate code however they like. Anyway, if I was considering writing a XDoclet plugin or something similar right now I would look very hard at using EMF instead.

Read: Eclipse Modeling Framework

Topic: New Year, New Language - Sort Of Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Technorati Plugin rules over Technorati's watchlists

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use