The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Conference Week: SDC, Java Posse Roundup, TheServerSide Java Symposium

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Conference Week: SDC, Java Posse Roundup, TheServerSide Java Symposium Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Conference Week: SDC, Java Posse Roundup, TheServerSide Java Symposium
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The last week of winter in the northern hemisphere features three significant Java-related conferences: the Scandinavian Developer Conference (SDC) takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday in Goteborg, Sweden; the Java Posse Roundup runs all week, in Crested Butte, Colorado; and TheServerSide Java Symposium (TSSJS), in Las Vegas, Nevada, starts today and runs through Friday.

James Gosling is be giving the conference opening keynote address at TheServerSide Java Symposium at 8:15 AM Pacific (U.S.) Daylight Time -- about half an hour from now, as I write this. The title of James's address is Java Today and Tomorrow:

This is the first opportunity you’ll have to hear Mr. Gosling’s unique perspective, including everything from JavaFX, Glassfish, Java EE 6, devices on the edge, realtime systems and dynamic languages on the JVM – basically everything that contributes to the potent mix that characterizes Java today. The present and future of Java couldn’t be addressed like this by anyone else, which is why this revealing keynote address is guaranteed to be a standing-room-only event where you discover exactly where we are now, what to expect in the near future, and what it all means to you.

It's quite true that James has felt the need to be fairly quiet about Java in the past year. On his blog, he expressed some frustration over the impediment of the need to not talk freely as the Oracle acquisition of Sun dragged on. Now he's free again!

I'm going to post this blog, then "listen" to James's keynote via the TSSJS Twitter search. Then I'll come back and fill in some of the key points James made, as relayed by the TSSJS tweeters.

In Java Today, the java.net Java Tools Community has published JavaTools Community Newsletter - Issue 211:

A new edition of the newsletter is available, with news, new projects and tips! If you want to receive the newsletter by email, please subscribe the announcements mailing list - or read the current issue here.

James Weaver announces RIA Exemplar Challenge deadline extended to JavaFX SDK 1.3 release + 30 days:

The JavaFXpert RIA Exemplar Challenge deadline will be extended to 30 days after the JavaFX 1.3 SDK is officially released.  I'm making the deadline dependent upon the JavaFX SDK 1.3 release, because based upon presentations at Devoxx and the Silicon Valley Java Users Group, the upcoming 1.3 release will have some features very relevant to the goals of this RIA Exemplar Challenge.  For example, this release will have several new UI controls, as well as the ability to transform nodes on the Z axis...

Developer.com has just completed a four-part article series by S. Sangeetha, KL Nitin, and S. Ananya about JSF 2.0:

The lead article is JSF 2.0 Views: Hello Facelets, Goodbye JSP. This is followed by JSF 2.0: Annotations, New Navigation Eliminate XML Configuration; JSF 2.0: Creating Composite Components; and Inside JSF 2.0's Ajax and HTTP GET Support.

In the Weblogs, Christian Bryant presents the Little JVM that Could:

During a session of Scala research for UCLA JUG, I sat back and took a look at all the languages that actually can be executed by a JVM (byte-code, other). Ada, Alef++, AspectJ, AWK, BeanShell, C, C++, Clojure, Cobol, ColdFusion, Common Lisp, Component Pascal, Duby, E, Fantom, Flow Java, Forth, Fortress, Frink, Groovy, Hecl, Ioke, Jaskell, JavaScript, Join Java, Jelly, Joy, Judoscript, LOGO, Lua, N.A.M.E. Basic, NetLogo, Nice, Noop, Oberon-2, Objective Caml (OCaml), ObjectScript, Pascal, PHP, Pizza, Pnuts, Python, Rexx, Ruby, Scala, Scheme, Sleep, Tcl, V, X10, Yeti...

Fabrizio Giudici presents My Oracle wishes (2): JavaFX Mobile:

Here it is my second wish in the "Oracle" series... what about JavaFX Mobile? I've tried it several months ago and I've written a small application, blueBill Mobile, running on an HTC Diamond phone, that allows to browse a taxonomy of birds, record observations and eventually showing near-by birder mates (and their observations) on a map. While the website is still a draft, I've started the experimentation with a few users...

Wouter van Reeven researches Apache2 LDAP authorization for Subversion with OpenDS:

There are several ways to enable user authentication for web based applications, like .htaccess files, plain tekst files, databases, LDAP, etc. They all have their pros and cons. In case a central, flexible solution is needed, either a database or LDAP solution can be used. I chose for an LDAP solution since it can be reused by many web and application servers and the applications that run on them while many LDAP solutions provide excellent tooling and easy configuration. Since Yenlo strongly focuses on GlassFish and other Sun tools, I chose OpenDS to authenticate against...

In the Forums, annex asks about Blue-ray Disc Java record storage: Hi all, Are there many standard options for simple record storage (user prefs for example) people are using? Is my understanding correct that RMS is not available? Also, are there any packages builtin which support secure storage...

In the GlassFixh forum, part_secret is getting Message SEC1105 with Custom Realm: Hello for everybody, I implemented one Custom Realm for my Web Application and I configured it (in web.xml file) for use my custom Realm with the BASIC Authentication Method... Everything worked, but when I change my application for use the...

michaele finds that JAXBElement.isNil returns always true after first nil was found: Hi, I'm using the XmlElementRef annotation within my mapping class to make usage of the isNil functionality of a JAXBElement. After the first match, isNil always returns true. Is it a usage error or is it a bug? Example...

Our Spotlight this week is the Jersey 1.1.5.1 release:

We have just released version 1.1.5.1 of Jersey, the open source, production quality, reference implementation of JAX-RS. The JAX-RS 1.1 specification is available at the JCP web site and also available in non-normative HTML here...

Our current java.net Poll asks Is the software engineering job market improving? The poll will be open until Friday.

Our latest Feature Article is Dibyendu Roy's Rethinking Multi-Threaded Design Principles; in the emerging multicore/multiprocessor world, multi-threaded programming is critical, in my view. We're also featuring Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? by Jesse Davis; in the article, Jesse invites us to look beyond Type 4 architecture to address the latest requirements of the enterprise Java ecosystem. And, Adhir Mehta's Java Tech article, Web Service Simulation Using Servlets also remains in the Featured Articles section of the java.net home page.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Conference Week: SDC, Java Posse Roundup, TheServerSide Java Symposium

Topic: US attorney general, agriculture secretary begin hearings on competition in farming system Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Disney to shut down Zemeckis-run motion-capture studio where `A Christmas Carol' was shot

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use