The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Scala Recognition Continues to Grow

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Scala Recognition Continues to Grow Posted: Mar 12, 2010 10:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Scala Recognition Continues to Grow
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Two years ago, a java.net poll asked Have you tried Scala? At that time, 38% of respondants had no idea what Scala was. This past week's java.net poll suggests that recognition of Scala has grown considerably in the past two years.

A total of 416 votes were cast in the poll. The exact question and results were:

What's your view of Scala's future?

• 17% (72 votes) - Scala will become a widely used mainstream language
  • 27% (112 votes) - Scala will have a devoted user community long into the future
  • 19% (79 votes) - Scala will never see widespread use
  • 12% (50 votes) - I won't know until I try out Scala (which I plan to do)
  • 11% (46 votes) - I don't know
  • 14% (57 votes) - What's Scala?

In one sense, you could say that these numbers (remembering, though, that this is not a scientific poll) indicate that Scala has succeeded as a language: about half of the people who know what Scala is believe it's going to be around for a long time into the future, either as a language with a devoted core of users or as a widely-used mainstream language. If these results reflect the views of the broader developer community, Scala will likely end up having been much more than a mere blip when the history of programming languages is told decades from now.

And why not? Scala translates to Java bytecodes and it also compiles to .NET. That's a pretty powerful, flexible feature. Furthermore: "Code sizes are typically reduced by a factor of two to three when compared to an equivalent Java application." As for training developers to learn a new language: "Existing Java code and programmer skills are fully re-usable." All of this is from the Scala site, but it matches what I've heard people saying in blogs, tweets, etc. I haven't had time to actually try out Scala on my own yet (unfortunately)...

Looking purely at the "recognition" numbers: in the February 2008 poll, 38% did not know what Scala is, compared with just 14% of voters in this past week's poll. This means that the fraction of people in the Java community who don't know anything about Scala has shrunk dramatically in the past two years, by about 63%.

The size of the group expressing a somewhat negative view of Scala has also declined. Two years ago, among the people who knew what Scala is, about 34% either had tried it and didn't like it, or had no desire to try out Scala. In our current poll, 22% of people who know what Scala is believe it will never see widespread use.

Admittedly, the two polls asked different questions, so comparing the results involves interpretation that could be viewed as a bit sketchy -- comparing apples with, maybe not quite oranges, but certainly not with the exact same variety of apples. I think the difference in the polling questions reflects the growth that Scala clearly has enjoyed in the past two years. Asking "Have you tried Scala?" again wouldn't have been nearly as interesting a poll as asking what people think about Scala's future...

New poll: job market

Our new java.net poll is another of our periodical queries on the state of the economy: Is the software engineering job market improving? The poll will be open for the next week.

In Java Today, Adam Bien writes about Modules, Cycles, Unwanted Friends - the Modularity Challenges in Enterprise Projects:

Building modules and components is not that hard. You "only" have to encapsulate the internal component implementation and expose a clean and easy to use interface. ...at least on paper. In practice you will be confronted with the following challenges in the early iterations: 1. The external interface is too coarse and far less interesting for internal reuse, than you had thought ...

Geertjan Wielenga posted Bioinformatikzentrum Weihenstephan on the NetBeans Platform:

Anton Epple, Aljoscha Rittner, and myself gave a NetBeans Platform Certified Training during the past 1 1/2 days at the Fachhochschule Weihenstephan, in Freising, Germany. More specifically, we were at the Bioinformatikzentrum, where the students are exploring the NetBeans Platform as the basis of bioinformatics applications...

Arun Gupta presents his DevNexus 2010 Trip Report:

As mentioned earlier, I presented on Java E 6 & GlassFish v3 at DevNexus earlier this week. This is an annual conference by Atlanta Java Users Group and had three parallel tracks. The conference was a sold out and the attendees...

In the Weblogs, Thomas Landgraf provides information on the XML to ODT Converter:

We use the Java programming language. If you want to do a similar task, have a closer look at our work. Since ODT is part of the ODF  standard, which is well defined, XML-based and easy, this task should not be that complex - an so it is. The work was done by Tim Schäfer, he used the ODFDOM API  as an abstraction layer for ODF...

Jan Haderka posted Cached! ... again:

I wrote about Magnolia cache few times already since it have been re-implemented for Magnolia 3.6. And it seems like with Sprint 4 of Magnolia 4.3 it came back to bite me. There was a bunch of tickets related to various aspects of the cache. Most of it was related to the fact that the default cache key (only URI) was not enough for many installations which were using multiple domains...

Christian Bryant covers Java in Bioinformatics:

In 2009 I attended the UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) Enterprise-Level Research Informatics in the Health Sciences Symposium at the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI). There were many speakers there from institutions like Johns Hopkins University, Stanford University School of Medicine, as well as Harvard University School of Medicine. However, the presentation that caught my ear the most was that of Isaac S. (Zak) Kohane, MD - co-Director of the i2b2 (Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside) project based at Partners HealthCare System in Boston, Massachusetts. The websites states...

In the Forums, maciejmadajczyk posted GlassFish 3 client jar lib in other client container: Hi I am working on modular desktop application. This application is start on my "plug-in platform". I need that on of plug-in provide to other plugins GlassFish 3 client jar lib. You can look at plug-ins in my platform as wars in web...

In the LWUIT forum, Klemens is seeing a NullPointerException in Form.updateFocus(): Hi, I have a form with TextFields, Comboboxes, Checkboxes and RadioButtons on it. When I update the text in the TextFields while the user is moving the focus between the TextFields I sometimes get this exception...

In the Wonderland forum, kdabko has questions regarding Voice range, sight angle: I'm building a tool to visualize data collected in WL. This data consists of position, performed gestures and so on. In order to visualize correctly I need answers for the following questions: 1. From what maximal distance can a person hear...

Our Spotlight this week is the work of our friend Felipe Gaúcho, who suddenly passed away on Friday, March 5. Felipe was a CEJUG founder and leader, a Java evangelist, and a long-time java.net collaborator. The self-description he wrote for java.net: "Felipe Gaúcho works as senior software engineer at Netcetera AG in Switzerland. He is a well known Brazilian JUG leader and open-source evangelist. Felipe works with Java since its early versions and has plans to keep that Java tradition as it is. When he is not coding, he prefers to listen reggae and travel around with his lovely wife Alena and his son Rodrigo."

Our current java.net Poll asks Is the software engineering job market improving? The poll will be open for the next week.

We just published a new java.net Feature Article, Dibyendu Roy's Rethinking Multi-Threaded Design Principles; in the emerging multicore/multiprocessor world, multi-threaded programming is critical, in my view. We're also featuring Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? by Jesse Davis; in the article, Jesse invites us to look beyond Type 4 architecture to address the latest requirements of the enterprise Java ecosystem. And, Adhir Mehta's Java Tech article, Web Service Simulation Using Servlets also remains in the Featured Articles section of the java.net home page.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Scala Recognition Continues to Grow

Topic: Article: Optimise Your Acceptance Tests Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: US Online Retail Sale will Reach at $250 Billion in 2014:Forrester

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use