The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java and JavaFX Meet Web 2.0 at O'Reilly Answers and Oracle Mix

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Java and JavaFX Meet Web 2.0 at O'Reilly Answers and Oracle Mix Posted: Feb 25, 2010 8:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Java and JavaFX Meet Web 2.0 at O'Reilly Answers and Oracle Mix
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Web 2.0 is a title that has been used to describe the generation of the World Wide Web that began with sites such as Flickr, MySpace, and Digg, and web technologies like web services, blogging, RSS syndication, and wikis. A defining aspect of Web 2.0 versus Web 1.0 is an increased level of participation by community members, and increased interaction between the authors of web pages and the people who visit those pages.

Within the domain of software engineering, the history of online posting of questions and answers to problems exhibits the change from "Web 1.0" to "Web 2.0" when one considers content archives like newsgroups, forums, and modern sites like Oracle Mix and O'Reilly Answers. All of these are clearly archives for information that is largely of the form of questions and answers. Still, that there is a major difference between the newsgroups of the early 1990s and sites like Oracle Mix and O'Reilly answers is readily apparent.

Newgroups are bare information archives, with little "personality". They're ideal for being mechanically catalogued by search engines. They're great, encyclopedic resources, but that the content was produced by actual human beings is not really noticeable. Or, at least, information about the individuality of those people isn't much available.

Meanwhile, sites like Oracle Mix and O'Reilly Answers are geared for the creation of communities. The communities may form around topic areas, around individuals who post on the sites, etc. It's a Web 2.0 structure, because the organization of the communities is determined by the visitors to the sites, not by a rigid site structure that is created by the site owner. Web 2.0 sites mimic the actual world of human interaction. It's like O'Reilly Answers and Oracle Mix are software engineering conference venues, but the types of conferences that "happen" there are of the unconference sort. The structure of the conference, of the interaction between the participants, of the clumping of people into groups and subgroups, is determined by the people who participate in the site, in the gatherings that the site infrastructure makes possible.

Web 2.0 really is cool, no?

Anyway, I was launched onto this tangent primarily by Java Champion James Weaver's blog post Hanging out with JavaFX Geeks and Newbies, which I'm highlighting as one of today's Java Today items. Here's Jim's news:

With JavaFX/Java now being shepherded by Oracle, I thought it appropriate to start an Oracle-Mix forum where the JavaFX community can help each other and give feedback to Oracle JavaFX teams. This forum is affectionately entitled JavaFX Geeks and Newbies, and its stated purposes are: * Build a community that encourages and supports developers as they climb the JavaFX learning curve...

One of the most actively-discussed questions in the "Java geeks and newbies" group (which currently has 101 members) is What are the highest barriers to widespread adoption of JavaFX? (login required), a question Jim asked 23 days ago.

If you're engaged with JavaFX development, or interested in JavaFX, consider joining the JavaFX Geeks and Newbies Oracle Mix group.

Also, consider taking advantage of the O'Reilly Answers Java topic area (no login required) if you want to ask or answer Java-related questions, or present Java-related information snippets, within a Web 2.0 community framework.

Also in Java Today, Joseph Darcy considers API Design: Identity and Equality:

When designing types to be reused by others, there are reasons to favor interfaces over abstract classes. One complication of using an interface-based approach stems from defining reasonable behavior for the equals and hashCode methods, especially if different implementations are intended to play well together when used in data structures like collections, in particular if an interface type is meant to serve as the key of a map or as the element type of a set...

Arun Gupta notes Oracle GlassFish Server 3 - New Datasheet available:

Oracle announced a new datasheet for "Oracle GlassFish Server 3", yep no "v"! Here are some key points from the datasheet: BENEFITS: * Light weight and flexibility, with fast startup of only those services required by deployed applications...

In the Weblogs, I posted two blogs covering news items of interest that I came across on Wednesday. The later post was Jeff Friesen: Comic Books and Java:

On his home site, Jeff Friesen, author of 21 java.net articles, has posted an interesting little article titled Comic Books and Java. In the article, Jeff presents a Java application that reads and displays digitized comic books. In the article, Jeff explains the standard format in which comic books are digitized (a .cbz zipped file and a .cbr RAR archive file). Jeff then walks through his application code. If you'd like to read some digitized comic book classics on your desktop, or learn how to code a reader, check out Jeff's article.

My preceding news item post was Justin Kestelyn Tech Cast Live interview with Mark Reinhold is now available in audio-only format:

On Twitter, I saw that an audio-only edition of Justin Kestelyn's February 16 Tech Cast Live interview with Mark Reinhold is now available. To see the interview as well as hear it, visit https://channelsun.sun.com/media/show/15028.

John Ferguson Smart provides Focused Extreme Feedback with CI Information Radiators - a case study:

Build Server Information radiators are an excellent, easy-to-implement way of getting people to pay attention to broken builds. But it pays to tailor them to your exact needs. This article is a short case study of how easy it is to set up an effective information radiator if you put your mind to it. One of my clients is UBS Investment Bank in London. At UBS, they are into Agile in a big way. Rob Purcell and Gordon Weir of UBS asked me in to help out with some of their Maven, Test-Driven Development, Java coding and tooling practices. And one relatively minor item they were particularly keen on was to improve their information radiator, in order to raise awareness of broken builds...

In the Forums, working with LWUIT, Ista Pouss finds that My app work only one time: Hi, In the netbeans emulator, I can see my LWUIT app. It's OK. If I do "quit", I quit. But, if I select again my midlet, I doesn't see the midlet. My code : public void startApp() { if ...

In the GlassFish forum, vesuvius needs help with CDI and JSF2 PhaseListeners: Hi all, I have a CDI-created @SessionScoped bean in my session context. I can access it from most places (EJBs, backing beans, etc.) without a problem. However, I need access to that bean from a JSF PhaseListener. Inside the PhaseListener, I...

kickmetoandy wants to map object hierarchie to flat xml using jaxb: Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to map a object hierarchie to a flat xml file. i have the follwoing situation. we are using jpa entities (usually with composite keys) and we'd like to map those entities to xml. the composite key...

Our current Spotlight is the Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) project: Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) is a one-stop solution for obtaining worldwide grid resources for computational use. With the MDG solution, world wide physicists, biologists, chemists, laboratory assistants, and computer scientists are able to complete exhaustive computational jobs in a shorter period. The MDG solution aids researchers addressing global issues. Even users who do not have a lot of knowledge about grid and clustered computing can utilize cluster resources with the MDG solution. For more information about the MDG project, download the Mobile Desktop Grid User and Developer Guide.

Our current java.net Poll asks Which Java 7 objective is most important for Java's future?. Voting will close on Friday.

Our new java.net Feature Article is Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? by Jesse Davis; in the article, Jesse invites us to look beyond Type 4 architecture to address the latest requirements of the enterprise Java ecosystem. We're also featuring Adhir Mehta's Java Tech article, Web Service Simulatino Using Servlets; and Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

AttachmentSize
JavaFXGeeksAndNewbies.png26.85 KB
OReillyAnswersJava.png45.13 KB

Read: Java and JavaFX Meet Web 2.0 at O'Reilly Answers and Oracle Mix

Topic: Article: Testing Is ... A Developer's Perspective Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Indigo Manza, Sold 7,258 Units In January, Tata Reclaims No. 2 Position

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use