The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Jesse Davis: Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Jesse Davis: Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? Posted: Feb 23, 2010 6:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Jesse Davis: Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements?
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Prior to a few days ago, when I thought about JDBC, I thought I was thinking about a problem that has been solved. Our latest java.net article, Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? by Jesse Davis, has eliminated that kind of thinking for me.

It shouldn't be a surprise that, as technology advances, problems that were "solved" may eventually become new unsolved problems. But... with JDBC, I just thought the solution that had evolved into JDBC Type 4 was a kind of permanent, at least a rather enduring, solution for the problem of abstracting applications from the details of underlying databases.

Well, yes, it's true that JDBC Type 4 performs that abstraction. The problem, however, is performance and frameworks. Today, we as developers often don't directly access JDBC settings, because we often work with frameworks that apply their own implementations of JDBC. So, when it comes to performance, we face a dilemma: live with the framework's implementation of JDBC (which may not be ideally tuned for the application we're developing), or make our own custom version of the framework (and have to copy in our changes every time a new version of the framework is released). Umm.. no good choice there!

Here's how Jesse describes it:

While superior to other JDBC driver architecture types, most Type 4 drivers come with glaring limitations that make them impractical for today's Java-based enterprise application environments. Most, for instance, require changes in an application's JDBC code in order to be tuned for performance. Doing this for each unique application deployment scenario is unmanageable and impractical. When you throw an ORM (object-relational mapping) on top, if you must have a vendor-specific statement method, you'll be unable to do that casting without modifying the code of the ORM. So unless you want to be modifying, let's say, a Hibernate implementation, you need to make sure that those JDBC drivers are clean--that is, that they adhere to the standard while yet executing things in a flexible manner.

So, is there any way out of this dilemma? Well, yes. But, for it to happen, further evolution of JDBC drivers is required. Jesse Davis is a member of the JDBC Expert Group. He's been thinking about the problems with Type 4 JDBC drivers for quite a while. In Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? Jesse concludes by outlining the requirements that a "Type 5" JDBC driver should offer:

• Unrestricted performance: Data throughput is maximized regardless of the runtime environment or data access model.
  • Codeless enhancement: Features and functionality can be added, configured, or tuned for any application without changing application code, regardless of runtime or data access model.
  • Resource efficiency: Use of application runtime CPU and memory resources is minimized and can be tuned as needed to fit specific runtime environment parameters or limits.
  • All-in-one deployment: A single driver JAR file that maximizes the data access simplicity for any Java environment or application.
  • Streamlined standard: No proprietary extensions to the JDBC specification are required for any supported data source--a "clean" spec implementation.

It's not a tiny task, this evolution of JDBC that Jesse suggests. However, as he concludes:

Such "Type 5" JDBC drivers would truly enable modern data-driven Java applications to take advantage of years of innovation in database features, data access models, and virtualization technologies--in many cases without requiring code changes.

Can't beat that!

In Java Today, Stephen Colebourne talks about Serialization - shared delegates:

I've been working on Joda-Money as a side project and have been investigating serialization, with a hope of improving JSR-310 Small serialization: Joda-Money has two key classes - BigMoney, capable of storing information to any scale and Money, limited to the correct number of decimal places for the currency. public class BigMoney ...

Edward Harned provides a solution for multicore developers in his article Fork-Join Development in Java SE:

Forking or splitting the workload into multiple tasks for parallel processing and joining the results together is a technique used in countless scientific, number crunching applications. Many other applications could benefit from fork-join processing but using the scientific approach may not be in their best interest. This article presents an "embarrassingly parallel" fork-join approach that works well for everyday, multi-core applications in Java SE....

This past weekend, Adam Bien prepared to engage the enemy, as he describes in Spring vs. Vanilla Java EE, Real World Java EE Workshop and the Perfect Storm:

Next week will be all about Java EE 6. At the ejug conference in Vienna I will start (23.02) with a "fight" against Juergen Hoeller and discuss the Spring vs. Java EE thing. We did it already last year - but now Java EE 6 is out with an API designed by SpringSource. I will also give a dedicated Java EE 6 / EJB 3.1 / CDI / REST / JPA session about Xtreme Lightweight Architectures (you could also call that "weightless" :-)). The next day (24.02), at the Jax London conference (The Perfect Storm session), I will use more the IDE and "hack" a Java EE 6 application live on stage. I will try to kill some Java patterns with Java FX as well...

In the Weblogs, Jan Haderka says Tweet Magnolia Tweet:

Originally, I wanted to write about Magnolia-Twitter integration, but at some point I've realized such integration is so simple that there's no point writing about it. So instead, let's look how you can write custom commands for Magnolia. Anybody who seriously developed on Magnolia for while had to write a Command sooner or later. They are incredibly simple, yet very powerful. Part of it is that you can use commands just anywhere - call them from the context Menu in AdminCentral, invoke them from Groovy or BSH console, call them inside of the workflow, kick start them based on Observation and changes in repository or call them periodically via scheduler...

Remi Forax has posted his FOSDEM presentations:

I should have blog about that sooner, but later is better than never. Here is the slides of my two presentations at FOSDEM'10: The first one is about implementing lambda on top of JSR 292 method handles. The second one is about the Da Vinci Virtual Machine project...

Fabrizio Giudici describes how to Shrink your POM!:

There are many things, mostly implementation-related, that can be blamed on Maven, but I think most people agree on the fact that the POM concept (a declarative model of your project) is a good thing. Among other things, it allows to run a new plugin often with a minimum of configuration, or no configuration at all. For instance, a few days ago I was pointed to the Clirr plugin, a tool that allows to verify whether the API of a module has changed (and eventually breaking back-compatibility). If you have a working mavenized project, it's just the matter of running...

In the Forums, larrytek asks about module versions Binary versus Trunk in the Wonderland forum: I notice there are several differences in the included modules for binary builds versus the trunk and preview3 source. My information comes from the administrators page at http://server:8080 - There are some 53 modules in the binary build vs 45 modules in the source...

In the SwingLabs forum, kleopatra posted Calendar renderers need localizable StringValues - best option?: not only calendar renderers, but right now it's hitting me in the realm of the calendar because the ui-delegate needs to update itself and any helpers working for it So it...

In the GlassFish forum, ossaert needs to Call Webservice from other WS: Hi, I cannot call another Webservice from a Webservice in GFv3. I get the following error. I cannot and will not change the code in this JAR file, since it is the SDK from Paypal. This is a major showstopper for GFv3. The tester doesn't work...

Our current Spotlight is the Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) project: Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) is a one-stop solution for obtaining worldwide grid resources for computational use. With the MDG solution, world wide physicists, biologists, chemists, laboratory assistants, and computer scientists are able to complete exhaustive computational jobs in a shorter period. The MDG solution aids researchers addressing global issues. Even users who do not have a lot of knowledge about grid and clustered computing can utilize cluster resources with the MDG solution. For more information about the MDG project, download the Mobile Desktop Grid User and Developer Guide.

Our current java.net Poll asks Which Java 7 objective is most important for Java's future?. Voting will close on Friday.

Our new java.net Feature Articles is Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements? by Jesse Davis; in the article, Jesse invites us to look beyond Type 4 architecture to address the latest requirements of the enterprise Java ecosystem. We're also featuring Adhir Mehta's Java Tech article, Web Service Simulatino Using Servlets; and Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Jesse Davis: Has JDBC Kept up with Enterprise Requirements?

Topic: FDA considers changes to decades-old medical devices approval system Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: NYC judge set for chorus of discontent over Google online library before deciding its fairness

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use