The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Mobile Desktop Grid Project: Sharing Global Clustered Computing Resources

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Mobile Desktop Grid Project: Sharing Global Clustered Computing Resources Posted: Feb 22, 2010 10:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Mobile Desktop Grid Project: Sharing Global Clustered Computing Resources
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Can grid computing save the world? The mere fact that grid computing exists will not be sufficient in itself. However, Choo Jun Tan, founder of the java.net Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) project, believes that harnessing available global clustered computing resources, so that they can be effectively utilized by researchers and engineers, is a major step in the right direction.

The MDG project provides a way for institutions that have clustered computers to make those resources available to researchers around the world, and a way for those researchers to find and utilize the available clustered systems. The objective is to assist researchers who are working with computationally-intensive software, for example biological modeling of diseases, in finding solutions to global problems more quickly, through shared global computing resources.

The Mobile Desktop Grid User and Developer Guide (PDF) is a 51-page document that covers MDG Version 1.1.2.2. The guide was written by Tan Choo Jun and Ang Wai Heng. The MDG team works from Universiti Sains Malasia. The team won a Sun Technology award at OpenJive 2009 in Singapore for its work on the MDG project.

The MDG user and developer guide documents the steps for utilizing the software, including registering a new account, adding a new cluster, finding MDG solutions resources, submitting jobs, etc.

The MDG software (both server and client) has been deployed on Open Solaris, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Microsoft Windows XP. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL v. 3.0).

If your institution has clustered computing resources that could be shared with global researchers, or if you are a researcher seeking clustered resources, or if you might want to assist the MDG team in developing and enhancing the Mobile Desktop Grid software, visit the MDG project site.

In Java Today, James Gosling is noticing a lot of Plaid recently:

I've been watching the Olympics and seeing a lot of American athletes in their trendy plaid shirts. It keeps reminding me of a grad school story... When I was a grad student at CMU, the students union brought in the science fiction author Harlan Ellison to give a talk one evening. He was arriving the evening before, so the CS department convinced him to come over to visit during the day. A bunch of us then spent a great day with him showing off all the cool non-fiction that we were working on. He was really engaged, sharp, and interesting...

Joe Darcy is finding that Everything Older is Newer Once Again:

Catching up on writing about more numerical work from years past, the second article in a two-part series finished last year discusses some low-level floating-point manipulations methods I added to the platform over the course of JDKs 5 and 6. Previously, I published a blog entry reacting to the first part of the series. JDK 6 enjoyed several numerics-related library changes. Constants for MIN_NORMAL, MIN_EXPONENT, and MAX_EXPONENT were added...

Stephen Chin has posted a video and slides in Hinkmond’s JavaFX Mobile Dojo:

In case you missed the big event last week, I have finished post-processing and uploading the video. We took the quality up a notch by getting a direct screen capture from the presenter laptop. This means that you will not only get crystal clear slides, but also full-screen demos and a nice tight head-shot of the presenter. This moves our video setup firmly up from a Level 4 to a premium Level 1 operation...

In the Weblogs, Fabrizio Giudici talks about blueMarine, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel:

After realizing that Ant and the software factory I had built on top of it had become unfit for managing my cluster of projects, about six months ago I decided to switch to Maven. I knew I was going to open a can of worms, as there are fundamental differences between the two systems, I was abandoning a tool that I was proficient with and moving to another that I didn't know at all; this was going to be applied to a dozen of projects, hundreds of modules and thousands of classes. In the meantime, I also had to substantially optimize my software factory because of test runs taking too long (thus breaking the meaning of continuous integration)...

Markus Kark asks How RESTful is your RESTful application?:

What it means to speak German fluently and to be able of C++: Several years ago one of our key coders moved from the south of Germany (where our HQ is located at the Black Forest) to the cold and rainy north, so we had to to find a suitable substitute. After screening lots of applications, we picked few to invite for an interview. It declared the candidate's ability to speak German and C++. So she was the first one getting invited into our office rooms to fight her thesis of what she declaratively would be able of...

Jitendra Kotamraju demonstrates JAX-WS + CDI in Java EE 6:

One of the big features in Java EE 6 is dependency injection(yeah, 330 & 299 stuff!!). It pretty much integrated with the every EE component. That means you can nicely use all the CDI features with JAX-WS web services. Let us see a simple shopping cart web service that uses CDI...

In the Forums, andrewp55 asks Is that true ?? I'm trying to populate dojo.combobox: jmaki widget with more than 30 items .... and it fails. Does it mean that 30 is the max limit on number of items that this combo will hold ?? ...

In the Metro and JAXB forum, jshowalter has a problem where a Long classpath blows up wsgen on Windows: We are running wsgen in development, and recently added more JARs to our classpath, and the command wound up being too long for Windows. Without giving us grief about using Windows (which believe me isn't our first choice), can someone help us get out of...

In the Bluu-ray Disk Java forum, hooligancat is working an issue involving Event timing: We are still having problems getting graphics to synch with the video correctly. Can I ask what events people have found to be the most reliable. We are trying to avoid the graphics showing before the video has loaded. For instance: Video...

Our current Spotlight is the Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) project: Mobile Desktop Grid (MDG) is a one-stop solution for obtaining worldwide grid resources for computational use. With the MDG solution, world wide physicists, biologists, chemists, laboratory assistants, and computer scientists are able to complete exhaustive computational jobs in a shorter period. The MDG solution aids researchers addressing global issues. Even users who do not have a lot of knowledge about grid and clustered computing can utilize cluster resources with the MDG solution. For more information about the MDG project, download the Mobile Desktop Grid User and Developer Guide.

Our current java.net Poll asks Which Java 7 objective is most important for Java's future?. Voting will close on Friday.

Our latest java.net Feature Articles include Adhir Mehta's new Java Tech article, Web Service Simulatino Using Servlets; Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart; and Jeff Friesen's Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

AttachmentSize
MDGTeam.png150.81 KB
MDGduke.png67.69 KB
MDGdemo.png129.74 KB

Read: Mobile Desktop Grid Project: Sharing Global Clustered Computing Resources

Topic: Alinghi chief Bertarelli says Swiss team could sail in next America's Cup if rules are fair Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Google Donates $2 million to Wikipedia Foundation

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use