The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
New Poll: Which Java 7 Objective Is Most Critical for Java's Future?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
New Poll: Which Java 7 Objective Is Most Critical for Java's Future? Posted: Feb 19, 2010 12:23 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: New Poll: Which Java 7 Objective Is Most Critical for Java's Future?
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

This past Tuesday, Justin Kestelyn of the Oracle Technology Network interviewed Mark Reinhold about Java 7, in a live Tech Cast (see my Wednesday Editor's blog for a brief summary). In the interview, Mark cited four areas of improvement / enhancement that Java 7 is intended to address:

• Modularity
  • Multilingual support
  • Language productivity
  • Performance

The new java.net poll asks your opinion on which of these areas of improvement is most critical for Java's future. To see Mark's view on why these specific areas are critical, why they must be addressed now, review the Tech Cast. It's about 30 minutes long. Mark's summary of the four objectives for Java 7 is right at the beginning of the Tech Cast.

Last week's poll: JavaOne 2010 attendance?

Last week's poll asked about your plans for attending JavaOne 2010, now that we know that there will be a JavaOne 2010. A total of 219 votes were cast. Here are the results:

Do you thihnk you'll be attending JavaOne 2010?

• 6% (13 votes) - Yes, I hope to lead a session
  • 25% (55 votes) - Yes, if someone pays my way
  • 3% (6 votes) - Yes
  • 12% (27 votes) - I hope to attend one of the non-US JavaOnes
  • 6% (14 votes) - I don't know
  • 4% (9 votes) - No, I don't like the new format
  • 43% (95 votes) - No

For me, the main take-away from these results (which are, of course, unscientific) is that people's thoughts about attending JavaOne 2010 are about what you'd expect at this early point in time, seven months before the actual conference. Not a whole lot of people selected "No, I don't like the new format," although I've seen some criticism of that.

JavaOne 2010 will be different from previous JavaOnes, certainly in terms of its facility, and in some ways in its focus. I'm not sure what the impact of co-location with Oracle Develop will be. But, certainly, a lot of last year's Oracle Develop sessions fit right in with JavaOne (Groovy, XML, JPA, JSF, JVM tuning, and Java EE engineering topics like service-oriented architecture, business process management, etc.)

In a sense, I think this year's JavaOne will actually be more focused on core Java topics. Wasn't the old JavaOne really a kind of "SunOne" or "SunWorld" conference, in ways? That's how it felt to me, anyway. Just about anything and everything "Sun" was present at JavaOne, in one form or another.

This refining of focus, as well as the upcoming regional JavaOnes across the globe, will likely contribute to smaller attendance at the US JavaOne in September. The seven tracks certainly cover the key areas:

• Core Java Platform
  • Java SE and Desktop Java
  • Java EE and Java for Enterprise Applications
  • JavaFX and Rich User Experience
  • Java ME and Mobile
  • Java for Devices, Card, and TV
  • The Java Frontier

I'm definitely looking forward to this year's JavaOne -- hoping that maybe I'll be able to attend and report on some of the sessions, while also continuing our JavaOne Community Corner Podcasts interview series.

In Java Today, Kirill Grouchnikov tells you why Your application will be with you momentarily:

Programming user interfaces has many challenges. Fetching the data from remote service, populating the UI controls, tracking user input against the predefined set of validation rules, persisting the data back to the server, handling transitions between different application screens, supporting offline mode, handling error cases in the communication layer. All of these are just part of our daily programming tasks. While all of these relate directly to what the end user sees on the screen, there is a small subset that greatly affects the overall user experience...

Geertjan Wielenga discovered Remote EJB Monitoring Application on the NetBeans Platform:

The next YANPA is created by Florian Brunner and his colleagues at a Swiss IT organization: "For our customer, ACS Solutions Switzerland, I introduced the NetBeans Platform in a pilot project, where we had to build a new J2EE application client. This small application should monitor some data retrieved from some remote EJBs." ...

Arun Gupta posted TOTD #124: Using CDI + JPA with JAX-RS and JAX-WS:

This is a follow up blog to TOTD #120 and TOTD #123. These two blogs together have created a simple Java EE 6 application and showed the following features so far: * No-interface view for EJB; * EJBs packaged in a WAR file...

In the Weblogs, the JFrog team sent me a message announcing the Artifactory 2.2.1 release, so I posted a blog about that. Here's the announcement message:

We are pleased to announce the availability of Artifactory 2.2.1! This is a maintenance bug fixes release for 2.2.0. Artifactory 2.2.1 is available for immediate download from JFrog's web site or directly from SourceForge. Instructions for upgrading to 2.2.1 from previous versions can be found here. For a complete list of resolved issues in this version please see the JIRA. Enjoy Artifactory!

Ahmed Hashim presents JDC 2010 visitors statistics :

JDC 2010 has been recognized from 90 country. The attached report could be useful for sponsors and compaines to know who is looking for JDC. Also it will give you indication about the countries interested in Java technologies in Africa.

Joerg Plewe talks about how sometimes Simple things just work .... Ant 1.8:

I recently got pointed to that link: http://java.dzone.com/news/ant-18-scanning-leaves-171. I read the news with some pleasure reminding me that I still like Ant based builds very much over Maven in many cases. Of course there are a lot of well maintained projects on the web that work very well with Maven. You never know how many enthusiasts-hours have been spent to make that happen. However, in smaller business projects I experienced the situation to be slightly different. Not a single one I came across ran out-of-the-box. Some actions had to be taken upfront...

In the Forums, timerwin needs to debug SOAP response: I have problems with a jaxws web service client: while reception of simple and complex objects works, it receives empty arrays although the server is returning values. I'm not sure whether the server's response is correctly structured. So how can I view the servers plain response? ...

In the GlassFish forum, yhzs8 has a problem with a Corba exception thrown on one server instance when shutting down another: Hi, We have a cluster running SGCS 1.5 with two server instance, we call them server A and server B. We have a client test program which: 1) lookup the remote EJB reference through JNDI lookup (specifying the initialHost...

In the Java3D forum, sphere1 asks about Converter JAVA3D in KML(Keyhole Markup Languauge): Hello, i am new in this Site. I hope i am right here. I wrote "Cube" in Java3D and would like to show my Cubes in Goolge Earths. Is there any converter for Java3D to KML? Can somebody please help me? Any idea?

Our current Spotlight is the Intel Software Network's Parallel Programming Talk: Parallel Programming Talk is a weekly broadcast onjava.net topics related to parallel programming (including Java) for multicore processors. Listen to Parallel Programming Talk LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00AM Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio. Watch Parallel Programming Talk LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00AM Pacific Time on Intel Software Network Television.

Our current java.net Poll asks Which Java 7 objective is most important for Java's future?. Voting will be open for the next week.

Our latest java.net Feature Articles include Adhir Mehta's new Java Tech article, Web Service Simulatino Using Servlets; Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart; and Jeff Friesen's Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 92: MIDP 3.0 in Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 In Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations session with Roger Riggs, Lakshmi Dontamsetti and Stan Kao.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: New Poll: Which Java 7 Objective Is Most Critical for Java's Future?

Topic: Summary Box: Fighting a pandemic digitally: News about threats move faster than virus Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Fighting a pandemic digitally: News about threats like swine flu move faster than virus

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use