The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Poll Result: Enterprise Repository Managers Are Used for Many Projects

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Poll Result: Enterprise Repository Managers Are Used for Many Projects Posted: Feb 12, 2010 12:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Poll Result: Enterprise Repository Managers Are Used for Many Projects
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

I suppose that title doesn't say a whole lot, but it was the best thing I could think of as a brief phrase for describing the results of this past week's java.net poll, without saying something totally misleading. Take a look at the breakdown of the 312 votes that were cast, and you'll probably understand what I mean:

Does your company use an enterprise repository manager for development?

• 41% (129 votes) - Yes, we use Maven
  • 13% (39 votes) - Yes, but not Maven
  • 18% (56 votes) - Unfortunately, no
  • 8% (25 votes) - Our projects don't require a repository manager
  • 16% (49 votes) - What's a repository manager?
  • 4% (14 votes) - Other

So, how would you summarize that in a handful of words? Say that a majority of companies use enterprise repository managers? Well, since this isn't a scientific poll, we can't really use these results to state such a conclusion. All we really can say is that, among the 312 people who chose to vote, more than half work for companies that employ an enterprise repository manager for their projects. That statement, of course, is far too long for a blog title!

Still, while java.net polls are not scientific, it's interesting to think about the results. The first two response options were perhaps truncated a bit too much. Explicitly stated, the first option would have been "Yes, we use an enterprise repository manager, and we have Maven repositories" and the second option would have been "Yes, we use an enterprise repository manager, and our repositories are not Maven repositories." But those long statements would not have looked very good on the front page of java.net. I think most people understood that the point of the options was to distinguish between whether your project has Maven repositories or another type of repository.

The voting suggests that 77% of people's projects that utilize a repository manager also utilize Maven repositories. Another interesting number is the 18% who voted "Unfortunately, no" -- indicating that they fully understand the benefits of a repository manager, but their company or project isn't currently utilizing one. A total of 24% of people reported that their projects don't require a repository manager, or that they don't know what a repository manager is. My guess is that most of the people who selected these options work on less complex projects, that have fewer integrated components, than the full-scale enterprise systems that many of us work on.

There were two comments. keeskuip asked "Where's 'No'?":

Why is there not a simple "No"?

fabriziogiudici responded "I think that it makes sense":

I think that it makes sense to have a "no" with a rationale. "Our project doesn't need..." actually means "no", motivating it with Maven being a useless increase in complexity in that case.

I actually did intend the "Our projects don't require a repository manager" to be the simple "no" response. Between that response and "Unfortunately, no" I was trying to distinquish between people whose projects don't utilize a repository manager even though it would be beneficial if they did use one, and people whose projects are sufficiently basic that the complexity of having a repository manager is unwarranted. Looking at those two results, among the people who know what a repository manager is and whose projects also don't utilize one, 69% of the developers wish their projects used a repository manager.

This implies to me that we need to get some VP's of Development educated on the reduction in productivity they're causing by not coordinating their project dependencies management and builds using up-to-date technology. This doesn't have to be a manual process, today, where each individual developer, or individual project team, reaches out to wherever for their libraries, resulting in multiple and uncoordinated versions of the libraries come final build and integration time. As John Smart says in his article Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, working a big project, where you have lots of code, lots of component interaction, without a repository manager is

like using a kayak without paddles: you'll get there eventually without them, but your life will be much easier if you are properly equipped.

John is specifically talking about Maven repositories and Maven repository managers, but I think the statement applies any componentized project that has a large, complex code base.

New poll: JavaOne 2010?

The JavaOne 2010 call for papers is happening now. Yes, we now know that JavaOne will continue, and that this year's edition will take place September 19-23. So, our new poll asks Do you think you'll be attending JavaOne 2010? Voting will be open for the next week.

In Java Today, the formal JavaOne Call for Papers is now open:

The 2010 conference will once again bring together the global Java technical community for a week of education, debate and exchange. This year, the conference curriculum is going back to its roots –– 100% Java technology and the related ecosystem. JavaOne conference speakers receive a Full Conference pass and the respect of your peers...

Joe Darcy talks about Project Coin: Taking a Break for Strings in Switch:

The initial way a string switch statement was implemented in JDK 7 was to desugar a string switch into a series of two switch statements, the first switch mapping from the argument string's hash code to the ordinal position of a matching string label followed by a second switch mapping from the computed ordinal position to the code to be executed...

The Continuous Blog presents its first "user spotlight" in Spotlight on: ITA Software:

For the first "User Spotlight" interview ever on Continuous Blog, I am talking with Matt Girard of ITA Software, a Boston-based software company that produces travel industry software which is used by many of the major carriers in the U.S. and abroad. When I sent out a message asking for users of Hudson in the corporate space to ping me about doing a "spotlight" on them, ITA Software stuck out in particular; they're hiring a Hudson expert! ...

In today's Weblogs, Felipe Gaucho presents Fixing Broken Windows #1: beans.xml validation in Java EE 6:

CDI is one of the best features of Java EE 6, it gives you - for example - a chance to include a beans.xml file in the WEB-INF folder in order to optimize the beans discovering during the application startup. An empty file is a fair price to pay for the cool features of the CDI but as soon you import the project in your preferred IDE you will see warnings about the impossibility of validating such file. The IDE is doing its job mitigating the risk of work without a chance to validate an XML file, now it is your time to fix this broken window...

Thomas Landgraf talks about Hibernate History:

Kassel, February 2010 - The Micromata GmbH, expert for custom-fit business applications with its head office in Kassel, introduces a new module for conducting changelogs: Hibernate History records all database entries within an application and improves the transparency of the undertoken operations. Hibernate History is an extension of the common Java framework Hibernate. It logs all modifications of database entries in a separate table and allows in this way a consistent backtracking...

Jan Haderka investigates A/B Testing with Magnolia:

Is it possible to do an A/B testing with Magnolia? The question popups often in the discussions with potential Magnolia users from various e-business companies. This really depends on what you want to test. The design of whole site or just best position for an ad on a single page or layout of one page or ... If you want to do it on the site level the easiest (with current release - 4.2.3 at the time of writing) is to...

In the Forums, kennwoods has a wmq.jmsra.rar IBM MQ resource adaptor glassfish MDB deploy problem: I failed to deploy a MDB using the IBM JCA Resource Adaptor to a remote MQv6 queue, when using EJB5 MDB annotations then repeated with hand crafted ejb-jar.xml and sun-ejb-jar.xml files while commenting out annotations and have a least got application...

In the LWUIT forum, dexter_psg is having a Menu Bar Problem: Hi, I'm using the svn version of LWUIT over a Nokia 6131 device and I've been having some problems with the menu bar in forms. The main problem appears when the menu bar has any level of transparency (at least when configured in the resource...

In the Wonderland forum, kaplanj responded Re: Saving users/groups: The default user and group management use a simple embedded Derby database setup in the Glassfish server. The database is in ~/.wonderland-server/0.5-dev/run/wonderlanddb. It is accessed via JPA from the security-session-auth module and the...

Our current Spotlight is the Oracle announcement about Kenai.com: "Our plan is to shut down kenai.com and focus our efforts on java.net as the hosted development community. We are in the process of migrating java.net to the kenai technology. This means that any project currently hosted on kenai.com will be able to continue as you are on java.net. We are still working out the technical details, but the goal is to make this migration as seamless as possible for the current kenai.com projects..."

Our new java.net Poll asks Do you think you'll be attending JavaOne 2010?. Voting will be open through next Friday.

Our latest java.net Feature Article is Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead, in which Jeff demonstrates how to apply JavaFX's RSS and Atom newsfeed capabilities to create a snazzy little JavaFX app that can run stand-alone or in a browser.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 92: MIDP 3.0 in Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 In Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations session with Roger Riggs, Lakshmi Dontamsetti and Stan Kao.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Poll Result: Enterprise Repository Managers Are Used for Many Projects

Topic: Electronic Arts loses less money but its outlook is below forecasts, sending stock down Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello discusses gamer behavior

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use