The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Oracle + Sun Strategy Update: Brief Overview and My Tweets

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Oracle + Sun Strategy Update: Brief Overview and My Tweets Posted: Jan 28, 2010 8:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Oracle + Sun Strategy Update: Brief Overview and My Tweets
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Yesterday, I watched the Oracle + Sun Strategy Update Webcast. It was certainly a surprising event -- surprisingly positive for the future of Sun and Java/JVM technologies, in my view. The promises Larry Ellison made at last year's JavaOne have been effectively redoubled in a way I myself could not have expected. The plan and expectation really is that Sun will quickly become a very profitable group within Oracle. And Java technologies will receive significant new investment -- not because investment in Java is expected directly to earn Oracle profits, but because the real money from Java is made through middleware sales, and in order for Oracle's middleware products to remain top notch, highly-scalable, state of the art, etc., the Java/JVM platform must move forward. Stagnation of the Java platform is not an option.

These are some of the things I heard while watching the webcast. For those of you who didn't have the opportunity to view the webcast, see my little Sun + Oracle Strategy Links (from Twitter) post.

I tweeted during the webcast (isn't that the only way to cover live technology events today?). Here are my tweets from the webcast (in time-forward order):

• Oracle + Sun webcast: a big focus on "We're hiring!" - across the board: sales, Solaris development, engineering new chips...
  • "we're hiring!" -- the perfect statement for immediately building confidence among both customers and employees.
  • JavaOne will become a global, travelling conference: U.S., Brazil, India, ...
  • Oracle/Sun will invest in the Java developer community as well as specific Java technologies
  • Java SE 7 goals: multiple languages, mulit-core support. Oracle JRockit will be applied/integrated with HotSpot.
  • evolve Java EE 6: profiles important for customization; GlassFish will continue to be the Java EE reference implementation
  • WebLogic will continue to be the high-end app server for enterprise sales
  • Java ME: unify ME APIs with Java SE APIs; runtime optimization; optimize power consumption; focus on ME operability on different platforms
  • different JVM models based on platform (enterprise, ME, etc.)
  • significant investment in JavaFX; focus on designers; fusion of DHTML, JavaScript, Java, JavaFX capabilities within browser environment
  • NetBeans continues as Lightweight IDE: focus on Java EE, ME, scripting; mobile development; reference implementation IDE for Java EE
  • Hudson makes the presentation; will also be integrated with JDeveloper; Eclipse also remains important
  • EE / GF enhancement: microkernel support; non-blocking I/O; Metro; lightweight, rapid development and deployment
  • WebLogic: remains focus for enterprises; WebLogic and GF will share technologies. SOA: Open ESB will continue to be supported, among others
  • OpenSSO will see continued investment; OpenDS will be maintained.
  • speaking of Sun/Oracle, I'm right now remotely logged into a Solaris machine enhancing an app whose data flow is managed by an Oracle db
  • Oracle will hire 2000 people, and only about 1000 will be laid off, as part of the merger consolidation
  • arry highlights tape archive/backup as being very important (it is in the data center I work in, certainly)
  • Forrester: can Oracle make more money from Java? Larry: where revenue comes from is less important than the fact that $ is made
  • Larry: Java makes money mostly through sales of middleware. Hence, it's critical to continue to develop and enhance Java.
  • Oracle's presence in the phone / devices realm will be the Java software that phones/devices run on
  • Larry humorous on the "cloud computing" phrase -- today everything is "cloud computing" so how can you possibly be against it? I agree!
  • Retweet from oracletechnet: Ellison: The only thing new about cloud computing is the word "cloud" - it's just a computer attached to the Internet
  • Oracle sure is punctual: a major 5-hour event starts and ends within a few minutes of the publicized times!

Also, developers should take a look at the new Sun Oracle Overview and Frequently Asked Questions for the Developer Community page, which OTN (Oracle Technology Network) leader Justin Kestelyn (@oracletechnet) pointed me to last night.

In Java Today, Justin Kestelyn of the Oracle Technology Network pointed me to the new Sun and Oracle: Overview and Frequently Asked Questions for the Developer Community page:

Oracle has finalized the Sun transaction and the deal has closed. The combination of Oracle and Sun transforms the IT industry and will provide significant benefits and opportunities for the developer communities of the combined companies. For example, the combination of the Sun Developer Network (including java.sun.com), BigAdmin, and the Oracle Technology Network will result in the largest, and most diverse, community of Developers, Database Administrators, SysAdmins, and Architects. The richness and diversity of these communities will truly be remarkable. We know that you have many questions, and some of them we can answer now. We're also committed to providing updates regularly as more information becomes available. Note that the FAQ below is designed around developer community continuity specifically...

JavaFX expert Jim Weaver also watched the "Sun + Oracle Strategy" webcast, and posted notes and commentary in Oracle/Sun Strategy: We will invest heavily in JavaFX:

Today was a busy interesting day for lots of my fellow geeks (like you, perhaps) in that I found myself listening to two webcasts at the same time: The Apple iPad announcement, and the Oracle/Sun Strategy announcements.  Being a JavaFX developer, I was particularly interested in the extent to which Oracle is going to embrace JavaFX (and how much crow I would have to eat from my April 21, 2009 What, Me Worry post)...

Toni Epple did something I wish I'd thought of as I watched today's Oracle + Sun Strategy Update Webcast -- he used his system's screen capture facility! His Oracle & NetBeans post includes the slide about NetBeans, JDeveloper, and Eclipse:

Here’s a slide from the (currently ongoing) webcast about the Oracle - Sun Merger ... Good News, whatever it means in detail...

In today's Weblogs, Fabrizio Giudici asks And where have all the owls flown?:

I love owls; they are so elegant and have a strong personality (too bad in so many years I've been unable to take photos at any of them!). Unfortunately in my culture (and probably many others) they have also got a bad reputation, as they were considered messengers of bad fortune. It's for this reason that in italian a "gufo" is also a person who, for innate attitude or purportedly, makes always bad predictions - a doomsayer, in other words. In italian there's even a colloquial verb, "gufare" (literally "to act as an owl"), expressing this attitude. Since when Larry Ellison announced to the world that Oracle was buying sun, flocks of gufi (pronounce as the Disney character Goofy) exercised their pessimistic views on the fate of Sun, its products and its personnel. Recalling them in no particular order...

I gathered a few interesting Sun + Oracle Strategy Links (from Twitter):

For those of you who weren't able to spend 5 hours watching or listening to Wednesday's Oracle + Sun Strategy Update Webcast, here are a few post-event Twitter tweets from people I (@kevin_farnham) follow, that provide links to resources related to the webcast and its content: oracletechnet If you missed the Webcast today, here are some choice bits on demand: Charles Phillips and Larry Ellison http://bit.ly/cPOuSL #oraclesun...

John Ferguson Smart previews the Coding Dojo in Wellington next week:

We will be running the next Wellington Coding Dojo on February 2, 2010 - thanks again to the Wellington Java Users Group for helping to organize this session. The session will be held at Equinox (Equinox house, 111 The Terrace, Wellington) at 5:15. The interesting thing about these Coding Dojos is that they are not necessarily done on simple, abstract programming problems - we generally work with real (well, sort of ;-) ) working applications. The idea is to get a feel for TDD practices in a real-world situation, where it is useful to build a solution incrementally...

In the Forums, aragollum has an LWUIT question, Thread: Is there a way to implement a touch-sensible scrollbar?: I'm working on a project for N97, where scrolling is done by pressing on the scrollbar itself and moving it. Is there a way to implement this kind of behavior in LWUIT? It might be very helpful with very long lists, where scrolling without a scrollbar can be very tiresome, and...

Sven Hafner asks How to address specific PostgreSQL Schema in Glassfish ?: Hi ! I create a connection pool and connection pointing to a PostgreSQL DB. Is there a way to point to a specific schema inside the DB (like a schema parameter) ? I need to avoid a schema annotation inside the EJB code, so I can point several instances of the same application...

In the Wonderland forum, seungchan posted Module deployment and get a specific revision: Hello, I have a module that includes web pages on server admin. It was deployed fine in wonderland version on Dec.2009, but it was not deployed in current trunk version of wonderland. (rev. 4773) Since I did not get any error message when I deploy this module, I am spending hard time to solve it ...

Our current Spotlight is Janice Heiss's interview with Java Champion Adam Bien on JavaFX. Adam's opening statement: "Good UI controls and layout are the key to success. JavaFX was very strong from the beginning in effects and graphics. It was, however, initially lacking in good, "skinnable" components, but this was fixed with version 1.2. JavaFX requires writing less code while it integrates very well with existing business logic written in Java. A reason to go the JavaFX route is better maintainability, and faster development with less code..."

This week's java.net Poll asks What's the most important java.net project going forward?. Voting closes tomorrow.

We've just published a new java.net Feature Article, Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead, in which Jeff demonstrates how to apply JavaFX's RSS and Atom newsfeed capabilities to create a snazzy little JavaFX app that can run stand-alone or in a browser.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 92: MIDP 3.0 in Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 In Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations session with Roger Riggs, Lakshmi Dontamsetti and Stan Kao.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Oracle + Sun Strategy Update: Brief Overview and My Tweets

Topic: The last week of January Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ericsson profit plunges 92 pct as mobile operators cut spending on networks; 1,500 jobs to go

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use