The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JCP Program Office Looks ahead into 2010

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
JCP Program Office Looks ahead into 2010 Posted: Jan 13, 2010 9:11 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: JCP Program Office Looks ahead into 2010
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The JCP Program Office wishes us a Happy New Year, and has posted the JCP 2010 Event Calendar. The December JCP Newsletter is also available, if you haven't taken a look at that yet. I see that the newsletter mentions my recent interview with Adam Bien -- another thing to check out, if you haven't yet done so.

The Program Office's happy new year message begins with a brief wrap-up of 2009:

December 2009 was a busy month, with Final Releases for JSR 316, Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) 6 and its' component JSRs, along with the Final Release of JSR 271, MIDP 3, among others.

And a brief look at the start of 2010:

Coming up next week, nominations for the EC Special Election to fill the ME EC seat vacated by Jacob Feldman will be open. Watch for details on how to nominate yourself on jcp.org. Now is the time to prepare your nomination if you are interested in serving on the EC; read more about the Elections here. The JCP EC will meet Face to Face (F2F) for the first meeting of 2010 on Tuesday and Wednesday in Santa Clara, CA at the Sun Campus. Materials and minutes will be made available following the meeting.

The 2010 JPC Calendar at this point doesn't tell us too much about what's actually going to happen in 2010. Primarily, it lists the dates for known events that must be planned far in advance (for example, election deadlines, executive meetings in various locations in the world, etc.). But then, there really is no possibility of going beyond this in an annual calendar, because there is no way for the JCP to predict exactly what the core areas of focus and progress will be in 2010, with respect to individual JSRs, etc.

The major upcoming event right now is the special election to replace the Java ME Executive Committee that was vacated by Jacob Feldman. If you are interested in running for this seat, the time is to prepare your materials is now. Nominations (you can nominate yourself) are open until January 24. The election itself will take place from January 26 through February 8.

In Java Today, James Gosling notes that This Modern Age is Weirdly Cool:

Having spent most of my life turning science fiction into reality, I'm incredibly amused by the recent Blessing of the Plow service performed in London. Another step in the journey...

David Holmes advises Minimize Garbage Generation: GC is your Friend, not your Servant:

Throughput oriented garbage-collectors, in particular generational, copying-based collectors, are very efficient at dealing with large quantities of garbage as they never have to visit garbage objects and so the cost of a GC pass is not dependent on the amount of garbage to be found. As these kinds of collectors exist in the mainstream Java SE implementations, there has been a tendency for developers to become very unconcerned with the amount of garbage they may generate, because they expect the collector will deal with it simply and efficiently. For deterministic, non-generational, garbage collectors, such as the Java RTS Real-Time Garbage Collector, where latency and pause-times are the main concerns, this is not the case...

The JCP Program Office says Happy New Year, 2010 Calendar posted:

Welcome to 2010!  December 2009 was a busy month, with Final Releases for JSR 316,  Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) 6 and its' component JSRs, along with the Final Release of JSR 271, MIDP 3, among others.  You can read about the latest JCP program news in the December newsletter.  The 2010 Calendar is now posted on jcp.org....

In today's Weblogs, John Ferguson Smart announces the current Java Power Tools Bootcamps and TDD workshops for the first half of 2010:

We are finalizing plans for the Java Power Tools Bootcamps and TDD training sessions for the first half of 2010. Highlights include the upcoming London and Paris sessions of the Java Power Tools bootcamps, as well as many sessions Wellington, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne...

Cay Horstmann wonders about A Flash in the Pan?:

JSF 2 introduces an EL variable flash. Anything you set persists for one post-redirect-get cycle. (In contrast, anything in the request scope is gone after a redirect.) A typical use of the flash is for messages. A managed bean method might put a message in the flash...

Fabrizio Giudici writes about The Hierarchy API:

< Tree-like structures are a very common pattern. Just to count instances of this pattern in my FLOSS projects: 1. The File Explorer in blueMarine, where photos are shown as they are stored in directories on the local disk. 2. The Calendar Explorer in blueMarine, where nodes representing year / month / day are shown for each day in which a photo has been taken. 3. The Metadata Explorer in blueMarine, where various metadata directories are shown (ok, this is a very shallow tree with only two levels). 4. The Catalog Explorer in blueMarine, where photo tags and tag categories are shown in hierarchical fashion....

In the Forums, jagwire is thinking about Borrowing the marbelous particle system: "I think I'm about ready to add a particle system to my world but I've got a couple questions first. From what I can tell, the system starts as soon as the particle system's constructor is called when the createMarble() method is executed, is that really all there is to it? I feel like it should be harder than that..."

dmalis has a comment for Vprise: Latest SVN commit introduced an issue to my app: "Hey vprise - today I've updated LWUIT to rev 832 and noticed that my GlassPane Scrollbar implementation started to work noticeably slower then with rev 831. So I have it reverted to r831 and proved my case. My implementation follows (copies) this example..."

itamar123 is Trying to create two separate networks using socket: "Hello, I have 2 separate networks and 2 network cards on each of my computers. Network #1. Network #2. I bind a socket to Network #1 and Surprisingly i had success connecting to ip address on Network #2. What needs to be done to prevent it? ..."

Our current Spotlight is Christopher Lam's How to Create a Scheduler Module in a Java EE 6 Application with TimerService: "Many a time, in a Java EE application, besides the user-triggered transactions via the UI (e.g. from the JSF), there's a need for a mechanism to execute long running jobs triggered over time, e.g., batch jobs. Although in the EJB specs there's a Timer service, where Session Beans can be scheduled to run at intervals through annotations as well as programmatically, the schedule and intervals to execute the jobs have to be pre-determined during development time and Glassfish does not provide the framework and the means to do that out-of-the-box. So it is left to the developer to code that functionality or to choose a 3rd party product to do that..."

Our current java.net Poll asks Which Java EE 6 enhancement is most significant? Voting will run through Thursday or Friday (depending on where you live).

We've just published a new java.net Feature Article, Maven Repository Managers for the Enterprise, by John Smart. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead, in which Jeff demonstrates how to apply JavaFX's RSS and Atom newsfeed capabilities to create a snazzy little JavaFX app that can run stand-alone or in a browser.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 92: MIDP 3.0 in Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 In Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations session with Roger Riggs, Lakshmi Dontamsetti and Stan Kao.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: JCP Program Office Looks ahead into 2010

Topic: Judge bars Chicago mass transit system from banning ads for video games with graphic violence Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Geithner faces hot seat again as lawmakers react to `troubling' e-mails on AIG bailout secrecy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use