The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Prediction: NetBeans Reference Documentation to Receive Focus in 2010

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Prediction: NetBeans Reference Documentation to Receive Focus in 2010 Posted: Jan 4, 2010 11:11 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Prediction: NetBeans Reference Documentation to Receive Focus in 2010
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

In this week's java.net Spotlight, Geertjan Wielenga has some predictions for NetBeans in 2010, in 2010: The Year of Documented Reference Material for the NetBeans Platform. Geertjan's post is a follow-on to his late-2008 prediction that 2009 would be The Year of Documented Business Scenarios for the NetBeans Platform. Looking back on 2009, Geertjan indeed finds many examples of major publications of NetBeans documentation related to business scenarios.

In general, I think, from the documentation/training side (i.e., not from the development side, in which I, as technical writer, have little control), the biggest improvement in the past year is that, at this point (unlike a year ago), no one can argue anymore that "the NetBeans Platform isn't really being used in real life". The many applications that have been discovered over the past year as being based on the NetBeans Platform (particularly in the military, banking, and oil services domains) have conclusively negated that theory...

Looking ahead to 2010, Geertjan predicts that publication of NetBeans reference materials will come to the fore. That this would happen seems to naturally follow from the fact that the business case has now been well-stated and proved, by the materials that were published in 2009, and also by Geertjan's own search and discovery of an incredibly diverse set of applications that have been built on the NetBeans platform. These applications include many that are part of operational systems where high reliability and availability are required (for example, military and financial applications).

Geertjan notes that a strong start has already been made with respect to NetBeans reference documentation, with the NetBeans Platform Reference Card:

Download it right now, if you haven't done so yet. That document will form the basis of a much more ambitious reference document (dare I call it "reference manual"), as outlined in this interview. In addition, there will be a release of a new book which will be up to date for NetBeans Platform 6.8. It will be particularly useful for those beginning with the NetBeans Platform, providing an end to end tutorial, translated from Jurgen Petri's O'Reilly book "NetBeans RCP: Das Entwicklerheft".

In Java Today, Elliott Rusty Harold notes that Google has released the Google Collections Library 1.0:

Google has released version the Google Collections Library 1.0, which extends the standard JDK collections classes with: New Collection types: Multimap, Multiset, BiMap and others; High-performance immutable implementations of the standard collection types ...

Mark J. Wielaard looks forward to his upcoming Fosdem Talk - Full System Observability with SystemTap:

Really looking forward to Fosdem next month. This year I will be giving a talk What is my system doing – Full System Observability with SystemTap during one of the main tracks. There will be some demos of the new systemtap java and python tracing support...

Geertjan Wielenga writes about Simplification of Node Creation:

I received a bunch of comments from Jesse Glick about How to Create a Web Service Client with Groovy and NetBeans Platform 6.8. I'll be changing that article a lot, as a result...

In today's Weblogs, Markus Karg presents a Short test on .hashCode() Performance:

Several APIs demand that the user is implementing the .hashCode() method. The reason is that these APIs are using hash based containers (like HashMap) to have a fast means of managing lots of objects (always comparing objects using .equals() would need endless time). There are lots of standard implementations on the web, so the question is, what performance impact the implemenation of .hashCode() will have. I did some tests and here are the results...

John Ferguson Smart previews the upcoming Java Power Tools Training in London and Paris - don't miss out!:

This February, in collaboration with Skills Matter, I will be in Europe to deliver the Java Power Tools Bootcamp in London and Paris. The London session is scheduled for February 15, and the Paris session is scheduled for February 22.

The Java Power Tools Bootcamp is an intense, comprehensive 5-day workshop covering best-of-breed Java development, code quality and build automation tools and techniques build around tools like Maven, Hudson, Nexus and Sonar...

Felipe Gaucho writes about Glassfish SecurityManager.checkPermission:

After configuring Hudson to run in a Glassfish with security manager enabled I started to have problems in other applications, specially web applications using reflection to access private fields in Java classes. Over the web I noticed a lot of people struggling with the same issue (Seam, GWT, Vaadin, etc). The problem is caused because most of the modern frameworks tries to access Java private fields directly - perhaps motivated by the popularity of type-unsafe languages or just designed for better performance...

In the Forums, nigel_runnalis asks if Glassfish defaults lowercase "utf-8"?: "Hi. The return message header from Glassfish when viewed in SOAP UI is as follows: HTTP/1.1 200 OK ..."

micheldenis describes a defect relating to transport to placemarks get sometimes interrupted by keystrokes: "I just entered the following defect: Using trunk 4126 on local laptop system (client and server) with Vista on Toshiba Qosmio (4GB, core 2 quad, nVIDIA, OpenGL v3). Set up a world as follows ..."

allasso has questions about JavaHelp and boolean search: "Hello, I am wanting to implement JavaHelp solely for doing search. The basic search feature appears to not have any way to do a boolean search, nor a way to provide exclusion (NOT) or strict AND. However, there is source code provided for two example extensions..."

Our current Spotlight is Geertjan Wielenga's post 2010: The Year of Documented Reference Material for the NetBeans Platform: "Towards the end of 2008, I predicted that 2009 would be The Year of Documented Business Scenarios for the NetBeans Platform. I think, looking back at the past year, that, in particular via How to Create a Swing CRUD Application on NetBeans Platform 6.8, the year turned out as I had hoped. In addition to that, The Definitive Guide to NetBeans Platform was released during the past year as well, together with a massively updated NetBeans Platform screenshots page, which all relate closely to business scenarios for the NetBeans Platform. In the case of the book, the business scenarios were enabled, in the case of the screenshots page, the business scenarios were proved..."

Our current java.net Poll asks What's your outlook for the technology / software engineering economy in 2010?. Voting will run through Thursday or Friday (depending on where you live).

We have a new java.net Feature Article by JFXStudio Holiday Challenge winner Jeff Friesen, Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead, in which Jeff demonstrates how to apply JavaFX's RSS and Atom newsfeed capabilities to create a snazzy little JavaFX app that can run stand-alone or in a browser. We're also still featuring my recent Interview with Java Champion Adam Bien: Java EE 8, Closures, and More.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 92: MIDP 3.0 in Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 In Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations session with Roger Riggs, Lakshmi Dontamsetti and Stan Kao.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Prediction: NetBeans Reference Documentation to Receive Focus in 2010

Topic: Engineering software firm in Massachusetts purchases building, seeks further expansion Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Belarus president pledges to toughen control over Internet and Web users

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use