The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Poll Result: Quick Adoption for NetBeans IDE 6.8

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Poll Result: Quick Adoption for NetBeans IDE 6.8 Posted: Dec 26, 2009 5:11 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Poll Result: Quick Adoption for NetBeans IDE 6.8
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The latest java.net poll suggests that NetBeans users are moving quickly to the new NetBeans IDE 6.8 release. This poll was interrupted by the recent java.net outage, so the earliest votes were not counted (unless the people revisited the poll after the outage and voted again). A total of 318 votes were cast after the poll was reopened. The final pattern of voting was close to the pattern before the outage (with the exception noted below), so I think the truncated results are fairly representative of all the voting that occured.

Here's the exact question and the final results:

Do you plan to upgrade to NetBeans IDE 6.8?

• 49% (156 votes) - I already have
  • 11% (35 votes) - Yes, soon
  • 7% (22 votes) - Probably, once I know it's stable
  • 2% (5 votes) - I'll stick with my current NetBeans version
  • 31% (99 votes) - No, I use another IDE
  • ~0% (1 vote) - I don't know; other

The main difference between the voting before the outage (as I remember it) and the final post-outage tally, is that more people selected the "I already have" upgraded to NetBeans IDE 6.8 option, and fewer selected "Yes, soon," in the post-outage voting. In other words, a swath of people who were going to upgrade to 6.8 soon actually did the upgrade by the time the poll resumed.

Looking just at the NetBeans users who participated in the poll (69% of the total vote), 87% of NetBeans users have already upgraded to 6.8 or will do so soon; another 10% of NetBeans users will probably move to 6.8 once the quirks and kinks (if any) are patched; and 3% will stick with their current NetBeans version. This latter group might include people who consider later versions of NetBeans overly bloated (though recent versions have actually become more modular, even as new features have been added); this group probably also includes people who are satisfied with the NetBeans version they have, don't really need the features in newer NetBeans editions, and/or don't have the time or desire to interrupt their work to learn and adapt to a newer version.

Then, there was that single voter who selected "I don't know; other". That person might be waiting until after the holidays to make up their mind.

Speaking of holidays, it's Christmas where I live (U.S.). But, I wasn't about to let a local holiday stop me from delivering an updated java.net front page and a new Editor's blog, for the many members of the java.net community for whom today is not a holiday! I also didn't want to leave people hanging without the opportunity to participate in a new java.net poll. And so...

New poll: most significant news/event in 2009

Our new java.net poll asks "What was the most significant Java/JVM news/event in 2009?" Voting will be open for the next week.

In Java Today, on TheServerSide.com, Jack Vaughan reviews 2009: That was the Year that was as we know it

That was the Year that was as we know it at this point in time. Here is a look back at some of the popular - well, much visited - threads of discussion on this site in 2009...

Adam Walczak, of the openeo.biz project, wrote to announce a new survey on open source projects and communities:

I'm conducting a survey about how open source projects are organized. It's part of the www.openeo.biz community initiative which goal is to research organizational structures of open source projects and business models of companies related to them... The survey takes about 15 min and is available at: http://www.openeo.biz/limesurvey/index.php?sid=94442. If anyone would like to share a more detailed description about a project it can be added directly to our knowledge base: http://www.openeo.biz/summary/ or can just be mailed...

Peligri provides GlassFish v3 Resources and Links - Part 2:

This is one of a series of resources and links related to the new GlassFish v3 release. Each entry starts with a section with key links; the resources are then grouped into categories. Announcement (Dec 10, 2009); Resources and Links, Part I (Dec 10th, 2009); Resources and Links, Part II (Dec 22nd, 2009)...

In today's Weblogs, Sergey Malenkov ventures Deep Inside Oracle Sun:

If you would like to get any news about Oracle acquisition of Sun, this is not the place you need. I would like to tell you about an interesting coincidence in progressive power. Yesterday my friend gave me a gift: Oracle Sun's Deep Inside (2005)...

Kumar Jayanti discusses Using the @ServletSecurity annotation in JavaEE 6:

Shing Wai's post explains the @ServletSecurity annotation that has been introduced newly in JavaEE 6 (Servlet 3.0 specification). The @ServletSecurity annotation provides an alternative mechanism for defining access control constraints equivalent to those that could otherwise have been expressed declaratively via security-constraint elements in the portable deployment descriptor. There is also a Programmatic approach for adding security (via ServletRegistration.Dynamic API) that has been introduced newly in JavaEE 6, i will talk about it in another post...

Just before the recent java.net outage, Vivek Pandey provided an Update on Dynamic Language support in GlassFish v3 Final:

GlassFish v3 is out now. This release brings in expanded and mature suport for dynamic languages based frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, Grails and Lift. Here is a quick update...

In the Forums, mixaz wonders about Using floats in LWUIT: "I think it would be better to not use CLDC 1.1 float in plain calculations like scrollbars (and not use at all - it's a UI library, not a math app after all). That's odd... Standard approach is to use 2 integers instead, isn't it? ..."

alexander_bell needs help with a Converter for h:selectOneMenu: "Hi, I wrote a converter for my h:selectOneMenu..."

nnjones has questions about Optimizing the environment to fit with the rendering algorithm: "Can anyone give an overview of the client rendering algorithm in the context of optimizing the world layout to minimize time to load? For example, if the starting location can't see much more than grass, then will the avatar drop more quickly? ..."

Our current Spotlight is Ed Ort's three part article series, Introducing the Java EE 6 Platform: "Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) is the industry-standard platform for building enterprise-class applications coded in the Java programming language. Based on the solid foundation of Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE), Java EE adds libraries and system services that support the scalability, accessibility, security, integrity, and other requirements of enterprise-class applications..."

Our new java.net Poll asks "What was the most significant Java/JVM news/event in 2009?" Voting will run through next Thursday or Friday (depending on where you live).

We have a new java.net Feature Article by JFXStudio Holiday Challenge winner Jeff Friesen, Reading Newsfeeds in JavaFX with FeedRead, in which Jeff demonstrates how to apply JavaFX's RSS and Atom newsfeed capabilities to create a snazzy little JavaFX app that can run stand-alone or in a browser. We're also still featuring my recent Interview with Java Champion Adam Bien: Java EE 8, Closures, and More.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 92: MIDP 3.0 in Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 In Depth: Tutorials and Demonstrations session with Roger Riggs, Lakshmi Dontamsetti and Stan Kao.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Poll Result: Quick Adoption for NetBeans IDE 6.8

Topic: Intel shares climb after Barclays upgrade; analyst calls computer market 'solid' Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Top 10 Mistakes by New Software Developers, fresh out of College

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use