The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
SDN Article Series: What's New in JavaFX 1.2

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
SDN Article Series: What's New in JavaFX 1.2 Posted: Dec 7, 2009 8:33 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: SDN Article Series: What's New in JavaFX 1.2
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Our java.net Spotlight this week is the latest two additions to the SDN What's New in JavaFX 1.2 article series, which is written by Chris Wright and James L. Weaver. Parts two and three of the series were published in November.

Chris Wright is a JavaFX developer for VNImedia, where he applies JavaFX to create interactive software on LCD touchscreens. James Weaver is a Java Champion; he is VP of technology at Veriana Networks, and he regularly blogs on his JavaFX Blog (which we frequently cite in Java Today).

Part two of the article series is titled What's New in JavaFX 1.2 Technology: RSS, Storage, and Charts. The introduction summarizes the entire series to date:

The first article in this series, What's New In JavaFX 1.2 Technology: New Layouts and Effects, introduced you to new layout classes such as ClipView, Flow, and Stack, and demonstrated how to use these classes within your applications.

Unlike the many articles that concentrate on graphical user interface (GUI) features and application design in JavaFX technology, this article and the next will provide insight into the more technical features such as RSS and Atom tasks, local storage using JavaFX's built-in storage classes, and the use of JavaFX charts.

The article covers:

• the RSSTask class
  • adding the user interface (UI)
  • local storage

An example program that reads and displays stock quotes is illustrated in the article.

The third article in the series is What's New in JavaFX 1.2 Technology: JavaFX Charts. This article continues the development of the stock quote program from the previous article, and uses it to demonstrate the types of charting functionality that is available in JavaFX 1.2. The article covers:

• bar charts
  • pie charts
  • line and area charts
  • bubble and scatter charts

The "What's New in JavaFX 1.2" series demonstrates that very nice looking applications can be developed using a relatively small number of lines of JavaFX code.

In Java Today, the java.net Mobile&Embedded Community reports that Android’s Rapid Growth Has Some Developers Worried:

A year after its release, Google’s open source Android operating system has become a sensation. After a slow start, it is now available on at least 12 phones, with more devices waiting in the wings. Good news for Android fans, right? Not really, say some developers. A slew of problems have made managing Android apps a "nightmare," they say...

Arun Gupta provides TOTD #115: GlassFish in Eclipse - Integrated Bundle, Install Stand-alone or Update Existing plugin:

There are three options for Eclipse users interested in exploring GlassFish. They can either use an integrated bundle, install the GlassFish plug-in in an existing Eclipse version, or update an older GlassFish plugin in a stand-alone Eclipse to the latest version. These options are explained below...

Rajiv Mordani posted a new Enterprise Tech Tip, Asynchronous Support in Servlet 3.0:

One of the significant enhancements made in JSR 315: Java Servlet 3.0, is support for asynchronous processing. With this support, a servlet no longer has to wait for a response from a resource such as a database before its thread can continue processing, that is, the thread is not blocked. Previous to Servlet 3.0, asynchronous support in the Java EE web container was provided in a proprietary way — either through APIs built on top of the Servlet 2.5 API or through non-Servlet APIs or implementations...

In today's Weblogs, Sergey Malenkov writes about Generified and cached empty arrays:

Caching of an empty array is a well-known pattern to improve performance. However, it is difficult to use it in generified classes. Out of curiosity, I created a custom implementation of the array creation method based on Array.newInstance. To cache empty arrays, I use synchronized WeakHashMap, which maps any given component type to a weak reference to the corresponding empty array. This is not the fastest way, but it does not lead to memory leaks...

Felipe Gaucho is working on JAXB Customization of xsd:dateTime:

A small JAXB puzzle: how to define a custom element to serialize Date objects with the TimeZone information? Piece of cake, isn't it? Try it yourself and you will be surprised with the tricky details.

A friend of mine gave me a JAXB challenge this week: his company already uses a customization of the xsd:date type in a legacy code - mapped to a proprietary type instead of the default Calendar type. Now they also need to represent Calendar objects in their application schema, so they need to model the date objects as a custom type. My first thought was about a five minutes hack, just defining an element based on the xsd:date and use the JAXB customization to map the new type to the Java Calendar type. After my five minutes I got few issues...

Fabrizio Giudici provides Three small updates about as(...):

I've previously blogged about the as(...) pattern I'm using for my projects. In an email exchange with Taylor Cowan, I've been made aware that Taylor has been using this pattern since a quite a few time in his JenaBean project (Jena is another big player in the world of RDF and Java). A stripped down pseudocode from his example...

In the Forums, szczyp wonders about Mixing LCDUI and LWUIT: "Hi. I would like to show some LCDUI dialog first, and then, use LWUIT. Can anyone show some code how to achieve this? I have code that first creates the Alert (timeout is forever) and calls Display.setCurrent(alert); and then Calls Display.init() and..."

sumitmaggo is getting an Exception while running Mobicents Sip Presence Server: "Hi, While running the Mobicents SIP Presence Server, I encountered these Missing Dependencies error and other exception given below. Can you Please tell whats the cause for these errors? I am using JDK 1.5 for running this server..."

And youtianzui has Problems in authentication: 'When I use Configuring Wonderland Authentication (tutorial) to build Authentication. Once I edit the property of Darkstar server. I can't restart it. For example, in the tutorial, it said I must add a "sgs.password.file" int to darkstar.But I can't...'

Our current Spotlight is parts 2 and 3 of the Chris Wright and James Weaver article series "What's New in JavaFX 1.2 Technology." Both articles were published in November on the Sun Developer Network. Part 2 covers RSS, Storage, and Charts. Part 3 covers JavaFX Charts in greater detail. Thanks to Janice Heiss for pointing us to the latest additions to this series.

This week's java.net Poll asks "Is DEVOXX now the premiere Java conference?" Voting will run through next Thursday or early Friday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Friesen's new article Learn about JavaFX's APIs for Reading RSS and Atom Newsfeeds, which introduces you to the RSS and Atom APIs in JavaFX 1.2. We're also featuring Sanjay Dasgupta's in-depth article Simplify Native Code Access with JNA.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 91: MIDP 3.0: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 MIDP 3.0 session with Angus Huang, Roger Riggs, and Paul Su.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: SDN Article Series: What's New in JavaFX 1.2

Topic: Suspect arrested in Facebook threat to Colombia president's son Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Yahoo deepens Facebook relationship to make it easier for Web surfers to share content

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use