The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java EE 6 Platform (JSR 316) Approved by JCP Executive Committee

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Java EE 6 Platform (JSR 316) Approved by JCP Executive Committee Posted: Dec 2, 2009 8:33 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Java EE 6 Platform (JSR 316) Approved by JCP Executive Committee
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

As Roberto Chinnici points out, the JCP Executive Committee has approved JSR 316, the Java EE 6 specification. Roberto says that "the final release will happen on December 10, when GlassFish v3 will be available.

Roberto notes that:

Several other Java EE component JSRs were approved at the same time: Servlet 3.0, JPA 2.0, EJB 3.1, Connector 1.6, CDI 1.0. All other components, be they full JSRs or maintenance releases (MRs, for insiders), had been previously approved. I should also mention here that, being part of the platform JSR (JSR-316) the Java EE 6 Web Profile too was approved, and so was the Managed Beans 1.0 specification I talked about in prior blog entries. So, yes, now we really have profiles in Java EE: let's put them to good use!

The Java EE 6 approval, however, was not without dissent. In the voting, only 12 of the 16 members of the Java SE/EE Executive Committee voted to approve the Java EE 6 specification. Two members abstained (SAP AG and Intel Corp.), one member voted against approval (Apache Software Foundation), and one member did not vote (SpringSource).

None of the members found the technical aspects of the specification to be lacking in critically important matters. IBM, which voted to approve the specification, noted:

With the exception of the JSR 330 and JSR 299 injection support defined by the EE 6 platform, we believe that this new specification brings value to the industry. We remain concerned that the injection support defined by the platform will create unnecessary difficulties for the community. IBM will continue to support both expert groups in the development of a single integrated and extensible injection programming model.

Intel stated:

We were not satisfied with some of the information accompanying this ballot and have informed the Spec Lead. No technical issues. It's a good spec.

Both SAP AG and Apache Software Foundation cited actions by the tech lead (Sun) related to licensing as the reason for their abstention and no votes. SAP is:

disappointed that Sun Microsystems as the Spec Lead of the Java EE 6 specification has not managed to produce the promised "full license terms" of the Java EE 6 TCK until the begin of the two week voting window for Java EE 6. Given the complexity of this license, we are unfortunately not in a position to complete a thorough legal review. At a minimum, we would expect that the TCK is not used to prevent access to the Java marketplace, including open source implementations. This JSR has been filed in July 2007; we believe there would have been ample time to share and discuss the proposed full license terms with the community.

For the Apache Software Foundation, this was a sufficiently significant issue for them to vote "no" on approving JSR 316:

The Apache Software Foundation's vote is based on the point of view that this spec lead - Sun - is in violation of the JSPA http://www.apache.org/jcp/sunopenletter.html and therefore shouldn't be allowed to lead other JSRs until the above matter is resolved.

Still, both SAP and Apache both stated that their voting decisions were not a reflection of the technical merits of Java EE 6.

In Java Today, TheServerSide.com published Developers split on open sourcing Java:

Developers are divided on the issue of whether or not Java should be fully open sourced. On the one hand, some say handing the Java Community Process (JCP) over to the industry at large would create an open field for different implementations and features to compete and improve. Skeptics to this view say this "free market" scenario would be the death of the language and that Java needs a centralized leadership to keep it focused...

Geertjan Wielenga continued a conversation on Swiss JUG and What We Forgot to Mention:

As Toni reported here, we were in Zurich end of last week, where we gave a 1 hour introduction to the NetBeans Platform to the Swiss JUG. There were just under 30 people in attendance, some with a NetBeans Platform background, some with an Eclipse RCP background, some with a JSR-296 background, and some without foreknowledge of these frameworks. Here's a pic of me and the group, taken by Toni...

peligri announces 3-in-1 - Patch 6 for GlassFish v2.1 Now Available:

We released GlassFish v2.1.1 at the end of October. As with GlassFish v2.1, this release played two roles: it was a public, no-fee, release, and it was also a commercial patch for earlier versions in the GlassFish v2 family. GlassFish v2.1.1 is, thus, also GFv2.1 p6 and SJS AS 9.1U2 p12. GFv2.1.1 addresses 121 new defects since the previous patch...

In today's Weblogs, Roberto Chinnici announces Java EE 6 platform approved today:

With the closing of the final approval ballot earlier today, it is now official: the JCP Executive Committee has given a green light to the release of the Java EE 6 platform specification. The final release will happen on December 10, when GlassFish v3 will be available. For more details of the ballot, with comments from several EC members, please refer to the JCP web site. Of course the excitement of the event drove me to watch live the ballot close at midnight PT and tweet about it! ...

Remi Forax asks Why extension methods are evil ?:

Mark Reinhold recently blogs about the renaissance of closure in Java (*). In his blog, he also wrote that in order to have closures in Java, Java will have to include another feature named extension methods. As you may already know, I'm a big fan of closures but the introduction of extension methods in Java really scary me...

Aaron Houston publicizes Voices From DEVOXX -- What is Your Greatest Concern for Java? +more:

"This is HOUSTON...." -- Here is a collection of voices and quotes from the DEVOXX conference last week... Well... DEVOXX is over... It was a busy week; and, I had planned to record a 100 voices from DEVOXX... Well it didn't happen...just like at JavaOne.... the events, the technical sessions, BOFs, and the personal time I spend with the JUG Leaders and community leaders all took its toll on my best intentions. However, I did come up with some interesting recordings and my question got into the Java Posse BOF (thanks to Kevin Nilsson SVWUG) -- they will be last on my list compiled below. FYI, some of the speakers are not native english speakers, but I wanted to interview them anyways, because they had a lot of passion for Java. And of course, if there are any corrections, I can be contacted from the JUGs Community Page (look in the right-hand column for an email address to jugprograms) ...

In the Forums, ghady_rayess posted IMPORTANT! Long text in Dialog is badly rendered: "Hello, I've just noticed that if you add a long text to a Dialog, some text will be repeated and in random places. I'm using SVN version 774, but i have an old version which showed the same behavior as well. so don't know how much..."

meetsanthi is working on Keybindings for Cut,Copy,Paste!: "Hi, I have the following code works for a "Cut" operation using key Ctrl+X. myCutAction = createAction("Cut", myEditMenu, false,KeyStroke.getKeyStroke(KeyEvent.VK_X , KeyEvent.CTRL_MASK)); I want the same "Cut"..."

sysprv asks about asadmin and long Oracle connection strings - what to escape?: "Hi! Trying to create a jdbc connection pool with asadmin, and ran into problems with a long Oracle connection string... It starts with jdbc:oracle:thin: and has parentheses, spaces, equal signs. I'm running create-jdbc-connection-pool on..."

In our current Spotlight, Sebastien Arbogast talks about My Devoxx Discoveries of the Year : "Every year, the main reason why I go to Devoxx is to discover new stuff. For me it’s all about technology watch. The internet and RSS feeds are my main tech watch instrument but there is one thing that is harder to get through RSS: feelings. Conferences like Devoxx are a unique opportunity, not only to see what’s happening but also to sense how the community is feeling about it, which is at least as important to anticipate on what’s going to be important..."

This week's java.net Poll asks Is Java's parallel programming support sufficient to meet 'the Multicore Challenge'? The poll will run through Thursday / early Friday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Friesen's new article Learn about JavaFX's APIs for Reading RSS and Atom Newsfeeds, which introduces you to the RSS and Atom APIs in JavaFX 1.2. We're also featuring Sanjay Dasgupta's in-depth article Simplify Native Code Access with JNA.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 90: Augmented Reality: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 Augmented Reality session with Kenneth Andersson and Erik Hellman of Sony Ericsson.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Java EE 6 Platform (JSR 316) Approved by JCP Executive Committee

Topic: Poll Result: Majority Supports Including Closures in Java 7 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java Warehouse Update

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use