The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition: Full-Featured "Flat" Java

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition: Full-Featured "Flat" Java Posted: Nov 23, 2009 9:50 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition: Full-Featured "Flat" Java
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Terrence Barr highlights the Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition in this week's java.net Spotlight:

Java Card 3.0 was released a couple of months ago - and the second update (version 3.0.2) is scheduled for December. If you haven't paid much attention to Java on smart cards because you thought it's not "real" Java - well, look again.

Terrence points out that the limitations in Java Card 2 are in part related to the fact that Java Card 2.0 came out about 10 years ago. If you think of how much has changed in mobile technology in the past ten years, it feels like 10 years ago was the age of the dinosaurs.

And so, it makes sense that there is a lot of change between Java Card 2 and Java Card 3.0. Actually, the Java Card version numbering / edition naming is a bit confusing at this point. For Java Card 3.0, there is a "Classic Edition" and a "Connected Edition." Even when I first saw this several months ago, when Java Card 3.0 was announced, I considered it confusing. Java Card 3.0 "Classic Edition" is really a maintenance release of Java Card 2. So, why are they calling it Version 3.0 instead of calling it Version 2.something (since it's backward compatible with Version 2.2.2)? Sounds like the marketing department's idea, no?

Anyway, it's the Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition that includes all the big enhancements. Terrence calls this edition:

the dramatically enhanced next generation of Java Card technology. The Connected Edition contains a new architecture that enables developers to integrate smart cards within IP networks and web services architectures. It supports extended Java Card applets and servlets to allow for these new capabilities in addition to also supporting classic Java Card applets.

Highlights of the Connected Edition:

• JDK 6 compatible VM
  • Full Java language support
  • Rich APIs
  • Three application models and two library models
  • Servlet Container with Servlet 2.5 support
  • Size still measured in KBytes
  • Netbeans plug-in for easy development

See Terrence's post and the Java Card site for the details. There's also a new Java Card project on Kenai.

In Java Today, Java Champion Jim Weaver posted The JavaFX How2 Compendium:

I'd like to make sure that you know about a great new JavaFX resource that Maya Venkatraman, Scott Hommel and others have been working on. This resource, located on the JavaFX.com site, is called the JavaFX How-To's (although I like to call it the JavaFX How2 Compendium because it is a concise, yet comprehensive compilation of how to get things done in JavaFX)...

Geerjan Wielenga posted pics and info about his talk on Lookup as OSGi Service Registry at Devoxx 2009:

Picture of Toni and me at Devoxx, talking about Lookup as an OSGi service registry, which is available from Kenai (here). More pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/JavaPolis.com/Devoxx2009 In other news. Watch a movie I made at the conference about interesting things learned at Devoxx: http://java.dzone.com/one-thing-from-devoxx...

Josh Marinacci pointed out that Neil Bartlett will be presenting "JavaFX in Eclipse" at Eclipse DemoCamps November 2009/London:

Since April, Neil has been working for Sun Microsystems to advance their tooling for JavaFX within Eclipse. In this demo he will show the current progress and preview some up-coming features. He will also show a demo of using OSGi for runtime modularity in a JavaFX application (based on original work by Johan Vos).

In today's Weblogs, Harold Carr provides his Kynetx Impact Conference - notes - morning day 1:

9:00-9:45 AM: The Intention Economy: What Happens When Customers Get Real Power, Doc Searls, Sr. Editor of Linux Journal, Author of The Cluetrain Manifesto. http://projectvrm.com. I only caught the tailend - stuck in traffic...

Aaron Houston posted DEVOXX Day 3 - JUG BOF with James Gosling - MP3 recording:

Here is a raw recording of the JUG BOF at DEVOXX with James Gosling who was our special host. We had 56 Java User Groups represented at DEVOXX; We had 60 people in the room with James. Detailed list of topics discussed by timing marks in the MP3 recording. MP3 is 19MB to download and is 40+ min long. Here's bits and pieces, so here is the disclaimer: Please Listen to the MP3 before making any judgments/opinions on the accuracy of the transcript...

Cay Horstmann comments on the "tantalizing announcement" at DEVOXX in Closures? In Java 7???:

Today, a tantalizing announcement by Mark Reinhold about closures in Java 7 has made its way through the twittersphere. On the same day, Neal Gafter updated his closure proposal (known as the BGGA proposal, named after the initials of Bracha, Gafter, Gosling, and von der Ahé, and not at all related to the B. G. G. A. organization)...

In the Forums, salwaalkhan_vn asks How to invoke a WS that is only known at the execution time of the program?: "Hi, How to invoke a WS that is only known at the execution time of the java invocation client? Is it possible with WS Java APIs to write a client that can invoke whatever web service? A client that is independent of any particular web..."

bugs318 has a problem where App Mode won't load: "I can run Dev mode, but I cannot get either app mode or a gdm session to run. I worked around some difficulties in installation to get the software installed on Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit. I get the following output when trying to boot app mode: ..."

rapiz needs help with Bidi - Hebrew font's...: "Hi again! I've downloaded the latest code from the SVN in order to use the new Bidi feature. My application mainly targets the israeli market so Hebrew support is very important. I set the RTL flag and so far the RTL alignment..."

In our current Spotlight, Terrence Barr invites us to Check out Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition: Real Java, just really flat ;-): "Java Card 3.0 was released a couple of months ago – and the second update (version 3.0.2) is scheduled for December. If you haven’t paid much attention to Java on smart cards because you thought it’s not “real” Java – well, look again. It’s true that Java Card 2 was very limited in many ways – a testament to the kind of technology you had available on smart cards 10 years ago. There are billions of these out there today..."

The new java.net Poll asks What do you think about closures in JDK 7? The poll will run through Thursday.

Our Feature Articles lead off with Sanjay Dasgupta's in-depth article Simplify Native Code Access with JNA. We're also featuring Eric Siegelberg's Using a Service Delegate to Avoid MVC Controller Bloat, which describes how to maintain separation of concerns and avoid MVC controller bloat through the use of service delegates. And, our latest Java Tech guest column is Marina Kamahele's "Transparent" Panel - Mixing Heavyweight and Lightweight Components.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 90: Augmented Reality: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 Augmented Reality session with Kenneth Andersson and Erik Hellman of Sony Ericsson.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Java Card 3.0 Connected Edition: Full-Featured "Flat" Java

Topic: XDepend: managing code complexity Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Scimpi release 0.4

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use