The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Just a little work

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
Just a little work Posted: Nov 22, 2009 4:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: Just a little work
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement

Tim Bray : "I'm pretty sure anybody who's been to the mat with the Android APIs shares my unconcern. First of all, a high proportion of most apps is just lists of things to read and poke at; another high proportion of Android apps are decorated Google maps and camera views. I bet most of those will Just Work on pretty well any device out there. If you’re using elaborately graphical screens you could do that in such a way as to be broken by a different screen shape, but it seems to me that with just a little work you can keep that from happening."

Tim might want to live through a few real handset projects to understand portability costs. All that little work adds up and is sufficient to hurt the bottom line of a company or an individual, perhaps enough to keep them with Apple. Even if you could develop a portable .apk through disciplined coding, the verification testing alone will hurt, especially as the Android ecosystem of hardware and versions grows.

"Oh, and the executable file format is Dalvik bytecodes; independent of the underlying hardware."

I've heard the same said about J2ME bytecode. 

Read: Just a little work

Topic: Using a webcam with HTML 5 via VLC Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: T-Mobile USA resumes sales of Sidekick phones again after Microsoft data disaster

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use