The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Relentless Reduction Of Complexity

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Relentless Reduction Of Complexity Posted: Nov 20, 2009 10:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Relentless Reduction Of Complexity
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

[Note] I started this blog 7 days ago but didn't finish it on time. I'm finishing it up now. The current date will be November 13, 2009 starting from the next sentence.

"Relentless reduction of complexity" is a phrase I picked up from Alex Payne's keynote at the Strange Loop 2009 conference 21 days ago. Of all the things that was said during conference, this phrase resonated with me the most.

Yesterday, at the St. Louis JUG, Brian Gilstrap gave a very well thought-out, compelling presentation on RESTful Web Services using JAX-RS and Jersey. While the overall subject is interesting, it is a "little" comment that Brian made that struck me: "I created a mini-framework just so that I don't have to repeat the same line of code in every class."

Then, as if to reinforce this Minimalist theme, Richard Bair of the JavaFX team posted Looping in FX today in his and Jasper Potts's FX Experience blog in which he outlined the evolution of loop construct in the JavaFX SDK, going from a Java-ish

public function hideAll():Void {
    for ( i in [0..sizeof this.childrenPopups] ) {
        if (this.childrenPopups[i].visible) {
            this.childrenPopups[i].hideAll();
        }
    }
    hide();
}

to a JavaFX-ish

public function hideAll():Void {
    for (p in childrenPopups where p.visible) {
        p.hideAll();
    }
    hide();
}

In both Brian's and Richard's instance they have achieved "code that works" first, but their professionalism and pursuit of excellence carried them further, to make the code simpler and more elegant.

I admire their approach to writing great code profoundly. And I think producing not merely passably working code but elegantly organized crystal clear code is a trait that serious programmers should acquire, perfect, and made a habit.

Read: Relentless Reduction Of Complexity

Topic: How to develop JMX MBean in 5 minutes Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Mort Bay Consulting has released Jetty 6.1.22, an open source servlet engine that supports...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use