The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java Store Integrates PayPal X, Progresses toward Post-Beta Launch

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Java Store Integrates PayPal X, Progresses toward Post-Beta Launch Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Java Store Integrates PayPal X, Progresses toward Post-Beta Launch
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

James Gosling attended the first ever PayPal developer conference, Innovate09, where Sun VP Eric Klein announced and demoed the new integration of the PayPal X platform with the Java Store. Sun is a platinum sponsor of the conference (which is subtitled "the intersection of ideas and money"). Keynote speakers included Tim O'Reilly, eBay CEO John Donahue, and PayPal president Scott Thompson.

You'd have to say that PayPal has come a long way, to be holding a developer conference. At its most basic level, PayPal lets you open an account, embed a handful of lines of script into a web page, and you've suddenly got a working storefront. But clearly, PayPal has grown far beyond that. The conference includes two days of sessions, and six different tracks:

• Innovators and Emerging Payments
  • Web Checkout with PayPal
  • Financial Innovations
  • Business Startup
  • Mobility
  • E-commerce with eBay

The conference has generated a lot of high profile coverage. For example, see Leena Rao's TechCrunch report PayPal X: A Complete List Of Adaptive Payments APIs and Sebastian Rupley's GigaOm article PayPal's (Partially) Open Platform to Usher in New Payment Models & Apps.

But, getting back to the Java Store: Eric's announcement talked about "an alliance with PayPal to support application payment in the Java Store Beta and enhancements to the beta user experience." Sun's formal announcement says:

Sun now supports for-fee applications submitted by developers for distribution in the Java Store Beta. Developers can price their offering anywhere from $1.99 to $200.00 (USD) and select the license rights they wish to apply to their application. Developers will receive 70 percent of any for-fee application sold through the Java Store Beta. Utilizing the new Adaptive Payment API from PayPal, consumers can authorize the Java Store Beta to bill against their PayPal account so they can simply click the "Buy" button and never have to leave the store. In addition, when a customer makes a payment in the Java Store Beta, the application owner also gets paid at the time of the purchase. This way, the developer immediately receives the revenue and knows exactly how many people have purchased their application.

In his post, James notes:

It always amazes me how complex it is to deal with all the details of global finance. And even so, the store today only handles US issues. But the framework is in place to go global as fast as the lawyers and accountants can work through the details - but it'll take a while. There's a new client application for shopping in the store, and a new warehouse site for developers to upload products.

The U.S.-only restriction is still in place, but that is being worked on as well. Also, Linux is still not an officially supported platform -- although the snazzy new client James mentions seems to run fine on the Gentoo Linux desktop on which I'm composing this post.

James asks developers to check out the updated Store and "let us know what you think: we'd like to get it out of beta and do a real large scale consumer launch as soon as we can."

In Java Today, James Gosling provides an update on Java Store β: payment and a new client:

Put an accountant, a lawyer, an MBA and a software engineer together into a room... Sounds like the lead-in to a bad joke, but it's the exercise that the Java Store team has been living through for the past several months. At the PayPal conference today
Eric Klein
did an
announcement and demo of the next phase in the Java Store's development. We've been working with PayPal on this for some time, using their new PayPal X platform. It always amazes me how complex it is to deal with all the details of global finance...

The Java User Groups Community announces the upcoming JUG Leaders Meet w/James Gosling at DEVOXX (JUG Birds-of-a-Feather session) Nov 18th, 2009:

The DEVOXX developer conference is to be held Nov 16-20, 2009 in Antwerp Belgium. Over 50 JUG Leaders will be meeting James Gosling to discuss a wide range of question(s) about the "State of the Java Union". James will also be speaking to DEVOXX conference attendees earlier in the day at 2pm. Below is a DEVOXX slideshow. Sun Technology Outreach staff will be adding photos/content in real-time from events happening at the DEVOXX conference (come back and check frequently)...

peligri invites us to Learn about OpenSSO or Troubleshoot it! - With Firefox:

Jim Faut
and Rick Palkovic have been posting a nice series on how to troubleshoot
OpenSSO
with Firefox Add-Ons. They just pushed out two more entries in the series, which now includes ...

In today's Weblogs, Jean-Francois Arcand provides instruction on Writing a RESTful and Comet based PubSub application using Atmosphere in less than 10 lines:

Writing a publisher/subscriber (PubSub) is quite simple with Atmosphere using the atmosphere-jersey module. The main idea here is to use Comet for suspending the response when a client subscribe to a topic, and use REST for publishing messages to the those suspended responses. First, let's bind our application to the root uri using the @path annotation...

John Ferguson Smart talks about The three circles of developer web testing:

In this edition of the Java Power Tools Newsletter, we will be looking at strategies and tools for developer web testing. This is an important, but often overlooked, part of developer testing. After all, the web layer is what the end user actually sees and manipulates! And it is just as subject to bugs as any other application layer...

John Reynolds launched a discussion by suggesting that people Donate $5 to Eclipse:

Even if you love Netbeans, don't you think Eclipse is worth $5?
http://www.eclipse.org/donate/

In the Forums, cwrighta70 is having Difficulties adding 2D or 3D text to the scene: "Hello! I have a 3D cube which I have created, and I've been able to add things to the scene such as spheres and dotted lines. I cannot, however, get any 2D or 3D text to show up. Here is some code I am using. Does this look correct? ..."

ghady_rayess has a question regarding Border line thickness: "Just a quick question, Does anybody know how to set the border line thickness for Round border in the Resource editor? Thanks"

And pillboy has an XML Schema question: "i would like to know if i could create a xml schema which a node contain both attribute and value? below is what i seen from w3cschool example, but after i create the schema and using xjc to convert to java object, there is no method which i could use to..."

Our current Spotlight is the java.net ks2009 open source project: "KS - 2009®" is the world's 1st Karnaugh Map Solver for handheld devices. Karnaugh Maps are used to normalize complex digital circuits to reduce the requirements and complexity of hardware while implementing Digital Logic circuits. Mobile devices being so easy to access, this software will be a boon for all those digital circuit designers who are very often confronted with the problem to normalize complex digital circuits, and find normalization procedure using Karnaugh maps manually, very time consuming and difficult.

This week's java.net Poll asks What's your view of the JCP's role in guiding Java's future? The poll will run through Thursday.

Our current "(Not So) Stupid Questions" topic for discussion is Does Java Speak for Itself? It was suggested at Oracle OpenWorld that Java indeed does speak for itself. But, what does that statement mean? Does it have any truth? Register your view by posting a comment.

Our Feature Articles include Varun Sood's Applying Creational Design Patterns in Java, which provides an overview of creational design patterns, describes when they apply, and illustrates their use; and we're featuring a new Java Tech guest column by Marina Kamahele: "Transparent" Panel - Mixing Heavyweight and Lightweight Components.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 90: Augmented Reality: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 Augmented Reality session with Kenneth Andersson and Erik Hellman of Sony Ericsson.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham

O'Reilly Media

AttachmentSize
JavaStoreNewClient.jpg13.62 KB

Read: Java Store Integrates PayPal X, Progresses toward Post-Beta Launch

Topic: TSSJS Europe 2009 Slides Online Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sony reports quarterly red ink, trims full-year loss forecast amid gradual recovery from slump

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use