The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Help Me Pick a New Host

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
Help Me Pick a New Host Posted: Nov 1, 2009 6:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: Help Me Pick a New Host
Feed Title: Mokka mit Schlag
Feed URL: http://www.elharo.com/blog/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Ranting and Raving
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From Mokka mit Schlag

Advertisement

I’m finally getting serious about moving away from pair.com. I’m not sure who to host with though. Minimum requirements are:

• WordPress support (i.e. I can install it; they don’t have to provide it though it’s cool if they do).
  • Full root access to WordPress: I can install my own themes and plugins and do my own database dumps.
  • No fixed bandwidth, storage, transfer, or CPU time quotas (I’m willing to pay for more as I go up in usage, but I need to be able to handle spikes without the ISP turning off my site.)
  • Hosted under my own domain name.
  • Regular, reliable backups

The more I think about it, the more I suspect I don’t even want a shell account. I really want a managed WordPress account, preferably hosted in at least three data centers on different continents with hot switching. (Is that even possible? ) Who offers this?

Larry Aronson recommended BlueHost. They’re cheaper than Pair, but they still have CPU quotas, and I couldn’t find out what those were. (I asked but either they wouldn’t tell me or their chat system logged me off before I read the answer.)

MediaTemple advertises “Hosting that’s ready for traffic spikes. Start your new blog on a clustered hosting platform that’s ready for you to hit the big time. Whether you reach the front page of Digg or get an unexpected shout-out on Oprah, your blog will always be available. Get started right-away with our WordPress one-click installer and enough high-speed storage and bandwidth to run a blogging empire.” Their grid service sounds pretty spot on, though pricing for overages is somewhat opaque. That sounds about right. Has anyone used them?

Another possibility is running WordPress on top of Amazon EC2+S3/RDS. That’s a little bleeding edge, and may involve more server administration than I want to do, but it’s at least plausible and it does give me a really efficient model for spiky traffic and easy scalability.

Read: Help Me Pick a New Host

Topic: How the Dow Jones industrials and other major stock indexes fared in Tuesday's trading Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Stocks slide on mixed data on housing, consumers; IBM boosts its outlay for stock buybacks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use