The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Ubuntu 9.10: First Impressions

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Ubuntu 9.10: First Impressions Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:08 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Ubuntu 9.10: First Impressions
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

For all who read my last blog entry from yesterday before my web server went offline—and then back—let me just mention up front that the upgrade went as flawlessly as it can be. So, go ahead and click the upgrade button and watch your Ubuntu 9.04 system morph into a Ubuntu 9.10 system. (After backing up your vital data of course.)

For those who want to learn how my upgrade fared, read on.

Thu 29 Oct 2009 11:59:05 PM CDT

After retrieving some meta-information, the Ubuntu distribution upgrade utility—karmic—informed me that some applications are obsoleted...

support-for-some-applications-ended

Fri 30 Oct 2009 12:03:29 AM CDT

... and the number and size of the packages removed, installed and upgraded. I thought the 5 hours of download time was reasonable.

upgraded-packages.ogv

Fri 30 Oct 2009 12:13:08 AM CDT

At this time, I was thinking of clicking the download button and go to sleep. However, after the download started, it tells its going to take 17 hours.

Fri 30 Oct 2009 07:32:52 AM CDT

By Friday morning, all downloads were done, and the installation process had been started for a while. However, it was waiting for my approval of going forward with stopping some processes. I clicked the "Forward" button and got the following screen. By this time my website was down. But I had to go to work.

My blog came back up shortly after I arrived at work.

Fri 30 Oct 2009 05:43:04 PM CDT

When I got home in the afternoon, another user interaction dialog was waiting for me. After that it was time for removing obsolete packages:

remove-obsolete-packages.ogv

Fri 30 Oct 2009 06:02:05 PM CDT

That quickly lead to the "Restart the system to complete the upgrade" dialog.

The New System

The first thing I noticed is the new theme. Title bars of windows are darker now. Firefox 3.5 is the default browser. It feels a lot faster than Firefox 3.0, which was the default for 9.04.

And obviously, this blog is running just fine after the upgrade, with Tomcat 6.0.20 and Sun Java 1.6.0_16.

Read: Ubuntu 9.10: First Impressions

Topic: US DOD guidance on open source surprisingly correct Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Generating Parsers with JavaCC, Second Edition now available

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use