The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Poll Result: Open Sourcing of IntelliJ IDEA Was a Very Good Idea

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Poll Result: Open Sourcing of IntelliJ IDEA Was a Very Good Idea Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:53 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Poll Result: Open Sourcing of IntelliJ IDEA Was a Very Good Idea
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The voting in this past week's poll suggests that the decision by JetBrains to offer a free and open source IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition was a good one. A total of 332 votes were cast, with the following resuts:

Do you plan to use the new IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition?

• 5% (16 votes) - I use IntelliJ IDEA, but now I'll switch to the Community Edition
  • 6% (20 votes) - I'll switch to IntelliJ IDEA, now that it's free and open source
  • 34% (112 votes) - I'll probably try it out
  • 40% (134 votes) - No, I prefer another IDE
  • 11% (35 votes) - No, I'll stick with the fully supported IntelliJ IDEA
  • 5% (15 votes) - I don't know; other

The normal caveat: this is not a scientific poll, it's merely a survey wherein the voters chose to vote on a voluntary basis, etc. ...

16% of the voters said they use the fully supported version of IntelliJ IDEA; a little less than a third of those developers say they will switch to the Community Edition. However, dhvdev posted a comment addressed to IntelliJ users, advising them to "stick with what you know and avoid the community edition for web":

The Community Edition looks very familiar for those using the Commercial edition, with a few graphical color changes and some features removed. Most of the removed commercial features are for hardcore refactoring, testing, and developing with integrated web servers. The most frustrating removed feature however, is that the "Most Intelligent Java IDE" doesn't know what a Java Server Pages (.jsp) file is ...

Half of the 80% of developers who indicated that they currently use another IDE plan to at least try out the new IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition, with about 15% of that group saying they have already made up their mind to switch to the Community Edition now that it's free and open source. This latter group was clearly the initial target for JetBrains. Their introduction to the Community Edition states:

We believe IntelliJ IDEA to be the best Java IDE on the market - and the world will only gain if more people start using it. That's why we decided to remove the main barrier - the price tag ...

The price tag is certainly something that blocked me from giving IntelliJ IDEA the attention it probably deserves. When you work significantly on Linux platforms for lots of years, the idea of paying for software starts seeming a bit alien. The idea of contributing to an open source project seems worthy, but the idea of actually spending money for commercial software where there are other high quality free and open source packages??? Hence, my earlier "surprise" that there were actually three "big" Java IDEs, not just two (Eclipse and NetBeans). In my "only free and open source counts" way of looking at the world, there were only two IDEs that mattered.

Of course, in my work in the data center, we employ high scale Sun servers, Solaris, and an Oracle database -- all pretty costly stuff. And I certainly don't think we made the wrong decision there (especially since the data center was designed in the late 1990s, when Linux and open source tools were really at a very different stage of development compared with where they are now).

I my view, it's great that a free and open source version of IntelliJ IDEA is now available. I commend JetBrains on the decision!

New poll: JCP

The new poll was prompted by the fact voting in the 2009 JCP Executive Committee elections will be ending soon. The poll asks "What's your view of the JCP's role in guiding Java's future?"

In Java Today, James Gosling celebrates 40 years of the Internet in The Network Is:

Yet Another Happy Birthday Intertubes!! Today marks 40 years of the internet, although there's some debate as to the actual date. I consider myself a latecomer: I didn't get my first real internet email address until 1977, C410JG40@CMUA. I was "jag" on various Unix systems before then, but it wasn't until 1977 that the ARPAnet and email really took over my life. I soon realized that the only real-world friendships I kept up with were folks that I could send email to...

A few days ago, Binod provided coverage of the new SailFin release in SailFin V2 released!:

SailFin V2 (Sun GlassFish Communications Server 2.0) is released today. See Srikanth's announcement and Prasad's roadmap entry. A number of new features have been added since we released SailFin V1 in January. These include high availability, rolling upgrade, flexible network topology, better over load protection, improved diagnosability, Java based DCR files for the load balancer etc. Diameter support is also available...

Johan Karlsson has a new article on the Sun Developer Network, titled Powerful Logging in Java ME:

You have just developed your new cool MIDlet, the one that is going to rule the world. It runs like a well oiled machine on the emulator. But when you download and install it on your target device, the MIDlet seems to take ages to start up. Finally, you see the splash screen. Oh no! The MIDlet crashes and you get an error pop-up saying "Application Error," and the MIDlet shuts down. What happened? This is not the way you pictured it. Is there something that shows what really happened behind the scenes? ...

In today's Weblogs, Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein talks about Programming bitmapped graphics with JavaFX:

In my last attempt to stress the JavaFX platform, I ported the Strange Attractor demo/benchmark. Different from JavaFX Balls, this is not scenegraph-driven animation, but old-school "pixel by pixel" drawing… still, makes for another batch of interesting findings, including a few issues in the JavaFX Script language and its compiler, and other topics like fractal maths, BigDecimal, and JDK 7's stack allocation...

Fabrizio Giudici wonders if we've seen the First public statement by Oracle about NetBeans? Or not?:

Masoud Kalali just pointed me and other NBDT fellows to this document by Oracle, which contains some more details about the future of many Sun products after the buy is completed. One paragraph is relevant to NetBeans: "Oracle has a strong track record of demonstrating commitment to choice for Java developers. As such, NetBeans is expected to provide an additional open source option and complement to the two free tools Oracle already offers for enterprise Java development..."

Ramesh Parthasarathy talks about Overload Protection in SailFin : What's new in 2.0:

Overload protection feature has been part of earlier releases of SailFin, lets start by describing the what can be improved in the current implementation.

• The algorithm (in the earlier releases) for detecting an overload was based on the fact that if a certain number of continuous samples remain above the configured threshold then the system is overloaded. This was a simple and straightforward to implement and configure but resulted in a behavior that can be best described as spiky in nature. This was because the overload was cleared as soon as one sample dropped below the threshold. So , if an overload is detected and an alarm is triggered it could be cleared and raised over and over again during relatively short periods when the CPU is oscillations is high...

In the Forums, dsosnoski is seeing Broken Fault handling in Metro: "I have a Fault containing a data object. If I deploy my service to Tomcat using Metro 1.5, the returned SOAP message looks like this ..."

rktumuluri is seeing Inconsistent behaviour of JAXBContext.newInstance(contextPath) method ...: "Hi, I have a huge dataTable, with an inputText component at every cell. When i click away from any of these components, i want to update the others. That part is working fine. except, that the focus is removed from the selected..."

And travisspencer asks about Changing how signing is done: "Hi All, I am trying to call a Java Web service from .NET 3.5 that was implemented w/ Metro. I am having problems because the service requires that the client sign the body of the message; this is not easy to do w/ .NET using the default..."

Our current Spotlight is NetBeans IDE 6.8 Beta Available for Download!: The NetBeans team is pleased to announce the availability of NetBeans IDE 6.8 Beta. NetBeans IDE 6.8 Beta is the first IDE to offer support for the entire Java EE 6 spec. Highlights include support for JSF 2.0/Facelets, Java Persistence 2.0, EJB 3.1 including using EJBs in web applications, RESTful web services, and GlassFish v3. The IDE's integration with Project Kenai, a collaborative environment for hosting open-source projects, now offers full support for JIRA and improved instant messenger and issue tracker integration. PHP support has been extended to include the Symfony framework and PHP 5.3. The release also supports the JavaFX SDK 1.2.1 ...

The new java.net Poll asks What's your view of the JCP's role in guiding Java's future? The poll will run through next Thursday.

Our current "(Not So) Stupid Questions" topic for discussion is Does Java Speak for Itself? It was suggested at Oracle OpenWorld that Java indeed does speak for itself. But, what does that statement mean? Does it have any truth? Register your view by posting a comment.

Our Feature Articles include my recent Interview: André van Kouwen and the GMVC Project, and Varun Sood's Applying Creational Design Patterns in Java, which provides an overview of creational design patterns, describes when they apply, and illustrates their use.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 90: Augmented Reality: Excerpts from the JavaOne 2009 Augmented Reality session with Kenneth Andersson and Erik Hellman of Sony Ericsson.

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Poll Result: Open Sourcing of IntelliJ IDEA Was a Very Good Idea

Topic: Vevo Update Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Griffon 0.2 released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use