The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JavaFXpert RIA Challenge Is Underway

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
JavaFXpert RIA Challenge Is Underway Posted: Oct 12, 2009 9:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: JavaFXpert RIA Challenge Is Underway
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

In this week's java.net Spotlight, we're featuring Java Champion James Weaver's new contest, the JavaFXpert RIA Exemplar Challenge. The contest challenges teams consisting of a developer and a graphic designer to:

Create an application in JavaFX that exemplifies the appearance and behavior of a next-generation enterprise RIA (rich internet application).

The contest is a follow-on to a question James asked late last year, "Should There be Enterprise RIA Style Guidelines?", and the responses that question elicited.

The rules regarding the team requirement are specific: there must be two people, a graphic designer and a developer. The rules do not state that specific credentials are required to "prove" one's qualification as being a "graphic designer" (or a "programmer" for that matter). But a team of two is definitely required (i.e., a graphic designer who also has development skills does not meet the "team" requirement).

In a response to a query about this, Jim said:

My main objective is to challenge the best developers and graphic designers to re-imagine the appearance and behavior of enterprise RIAs. By doing this as a team, I hope to draw from the strengths of each, as well as to gain the benefits of collaboration. I do realize that this may cause less people to enter the challenge.

There is a substantial prize for the winning team: $1000 (US) for each team member.

Entries must be delivered (to a soon-to-be-identified email address) in the form of a NetBeans project by Midnight GMT on January 10, 2010. Judging will be performed by Jim and a graphics designer, with the judging criteria being how well the entry "exemplifies the appearance and behavior of a next-generation enterprise RIA."

Also, the code must be open source, and licensed using the updated Berkeley Software Distribution License. The winning entry will be added to the JFXtras project samples library.

In Java Today, Robert Chinnici reports that Java EE 6 platform specification reaches Proposed Final Draft stage:

The Proposed Final Draft (PFD) of the Java EE 6 Platform specification and of the two other specs being defined by the JSR-316 expert group, the Java EE 6 Web Profile specification and the Managed Beans specification, is now available from the JCP web site.

Arun Gupta provides TOTD #112: Exposing Oracle database tables as RESTful entities using JAX-RS, GlassFish, and NetBeans:

This Tip Of The Day explains how to expose an existing Oracle database table as a RESTful Web service endpoint using NetBeans tooling and deployed on GlassFish. Lets get started!

Jean-Francois Arcand announces Atmosphere at Oracle OpenWorld Unconference:

@jfarcand will talk about the Atmosphere Framework at the upcoming Oracle OpenWorld (October 13th Tuesday, 1-2pm). If you are around, come to learn what is Atmosphere and how you can write RESTful and Asynchronous Web (Comet/Ajax Push) application using Scala, JRuby, Java or Groovy!

In today's Weblogs, John Ferguson Smark presents 10 Hudson Plugins you can't live without!:

One of the great things about Hudson is not in Hudson itself, but in its rich library of plugins, covering everything from code quality metrics to VMWare and Amazon EC2 integration! But there are so many, it's sometimes hard to choose, and new ones are coming out all the time. So in the latest issue of the Java Power Tools Newsletter, we will take a look at a top-ten of Hudson plugins - 10...

Carol McDonald continues her series with OWASP Top 10 number 3: Malicious File Execution:

Number 3 in the Top 10 most critical web application security vulnerabilities identified by the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is Malicious File Execution, which occurs when attacker's files are executed or processed by the web server. This can happen when an input filename is compromised or an uploaded file is...

Bhavani Shankar announces Rolling upgrade of SailFin demonstrated:

What is rolling upgrade? Rolling upgrade is a zero downtime upgrade of the SailFin cluster. It can broadly be classfied into the following types : Upgrade of your running application. Upgrade of your hardware hosting the SailFin cluster. Upgrade of your running SailFin cluster from version 'x' to version 'y' ('y' should be backward compatible with 'x') As simple as applying a...

In the Forums, nnjones wonders Can I Webstart 0.4 using only an ethernet switch (not a router): "Is it possible to use the Java Webstart version (jnlp) of WL 0.4 in an isolated LAN that is only hooked up to a switch? I keep getting malformed URL exceptions on the webstart piece when I launch from the browser. (e.g., dev.java.net) And they are in..."

ezez85 is working on an Application to connect to Wireless LAN: "Hi all, I have a questions regarding one of the project i am working on. My project require to use a java application to search for the wireless network and if it is not there, it can join the next prefer network. I am able to work using microsoft Vista..."

And Felipe Gaucho has a GlassFish question, what is the default V3 password ?: "in v2.1 it is adminadmin, in v3 it is ??"

Our current Spotlight is the JavaFXpert RIA Exemplar Challenge. The java.net JUGs Community reports: Java Champion Jim Weaver has a serious JavaFX contest going on. "Create an application in JavaFX that exemplifies the appearance and behavior of a next-generation enterprise RIA (rich internet application)". Entries must be submitted in the form of a NetBeans project by 00:00 GMT on 10 January 2010.

The current java.net Poll asks Which IDE do you use? The poll will run through next Thursday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Lowery's A Finite State Machine Supporting Concurrent States, which demonstrates how Java enums and EnumSets can be used as a basis to define and validate application states and state transitions. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's article Introducing Custom Paints to JavaFX, which shows how you can leverage undocumented JavaFX capabilities to support custom paints in JavaFX Version 1.2.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software: 'A conversation with Robert Virkus of Enough Software about J2MEPolish and the "Mobile Deverloper's Guide to the Galaxy."'

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: JavaFXpert RIA Challenge Is Underway

Topic: Wondering about Google... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Email Marketing and Email Newsletter Software: Aweber Review

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use