The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Poll Result: Eclipse and NetBeans Are the Most Used IDEs

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Poll Result: Eclipse and NetBeans Are the Most Used IDEs Posted: Oct 9, 2009 9:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Poll Result: Eclipse and NetBeans Are the Most Used IDEs
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

This past week's java.net poll suggests that Eclipse and NetBeans lead the way among IDEs, and are about equally popular. A total of 528 votes were cast. The exact question and results were:

Which IDE do you use?

• 39% (207 votes) - NetBeans
  • 41% (216 votes) - Eclipse
  • 8% (42 votes) - Another IDE
  • 7% (38 votes) - Multiple of the above
  • 4% (21 votes) - I use a text editor
  • 1% (4 votes) - Other

The results suggest that NetBeans and Eclipse share a predominate position among IDEs, and are used by at least 80% of Java developers.

Three comments were posted. rdelaplante objected to IntelliJ IDEA not being specified among the options:

Leaving out IntelliJ IDEA is like leaving out Eclipse

denka gave that comment a "ditto," adding:

Sun bought the wrong company (hope this did not affect the poll selection)... But then so did Borland :)

I actually did think about making IntelliJ IDEA one of the options. But, then, I also considered the fact that there are other IDEs that have their own core group of advocates, and the options list had to be truncated somewhere. So, I explicitly named the IDEs that, based on what I've observed, probably have the biggest user communities -- namely, Eclipse and NetBeans. I'll assure denka that the fact that Sun supports java.net had nothing to do with the decision to not give IntelliJ IDEA it's own slot.

If the actual poll results have any accuracy (the poll, of course, is not scientific), then my decision was the right one. If IntelliJ IDEA really is as important and as widely used as Eclipse, then the "Another IDE" option should have garnered the largest share of votes. But the actual votes cast for "Another IDE" was only about 20% of the votes cast for either Eclipse or NetBeans. Possibly IntelliJ IDEA is much more widely used than the poll suggests, but its users don't visit java.net all that much?

New poll: GlassFish's future?

Yesterday, I studied the history of GlassFish downloads over the past four years, and noted that GlassFish appears to be on the cusp of a major leap in adoption. Staying on that subject, the new poll asks "What future do you foresee for GlassFish?" Voting will be open through next Thursday.

In Java Today, James Gosling is Heading to Oracle OpenWorld:

Next week should be real interesting: I'm spending a big chunk of it at Oracle's OpenWorld conference. I'll be helping out Scott at his keynote. As usual, I expect Scott to be fun :-). I'm doing a talk the next day down the road at the Hilton where Oracle is holding their Develop conference. Sun is leading a number of sessions on enterprise topics. I'm going to try to stretch people's minds about what "enterprise" means.

Janice J. Heiss has a new article up on the Sun Developer Network, Oracle Develop Offers Updates on Java Technology:

Oracle OpenWorld 2009 begins on Sunday, October 11, and continues until October 15 at Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. Oracle Develop, a premier developer conference for Oracle technologists sponsored by Sun Microsystems, takes place from October 11 to 13 at the nearby San Francisco Hilton. Oracle OpenWorld offers more than 1800 sessions, 400 partner exhibits, keynotes from the world's technology leaders, hands-on labs, several special networking events, and more...

Josh Marinacci has created SideHatch: a JavaFX debugging tool:

I’ve had an idea for a scenegraph debugging tool for years. Over the weekend I finally built one for JavaFX called SideHatch. Here’s what it looks like... The basic concept is a single jar which you can put into your app and invoke with a single line at the end of your run method...

In today's Weblogs, Sergey Malenkov writes about Scores in detail:

Can you live without computer of Internet for two weeks? I definitely got crazy and forgot everything I knew about JavaFX. Nevertheless, in this blog I'll try to explain how the Score class introduced in my previous post works...

Rex Young begins a new series with Thread-Safe Swing Application (Part I):

Thread-safe is used to describe a Java class that is ready to be accessed by multiple threads without causing deadlock and/or broken state. Here I am referring to how to make an entire application especially a Swing application thread-safe. It is well known that Swing employs single-thread model. Swing components are desired to be accessed one thread a time. And the event-dispatching thread is preferred. Here is a classic article about multi-threading in Swing...

Fabrizio Giudici has reached Another important milestone: ForceTen is completely mavenized (or why I moved to Maven):

Another important milestone in the process of switching to Maven all of my projects - ForceTen is my first NetBeans Platform application that has been completely mavenized (other mavenized blueMarine modules are just libraries of components, and there's no mavenized blueMarine executable yet)...

In the Forums, gibsonc is Confused about connection pool resource types and classnames: "Hi all. I have a few database connection pools set up to Pervasive, Informix, Oracle and PostgreSQL. I see differing views in my searches and even in the Glassfish documentation of which Resource Type and DataSource classnames to use when..."

itamar123 needs to Set string size according to the panel size: "Hello. I am having a sizeable panel. I would like to display a sizeable string on the panel. the string has to be at the size of the panel. the string has to be resize according to the panel size and each time the panel is...

And boraldo asks How can I undeploy / deploy through jmx ?: "I use Glassfish 2.1. I want to deploy j2eeApplication by java code through jmx. I connect to glassfish in jconsole and find mbean com.sun.appserv:type=applications,category=config But it's methods deploy and..."

Our current Spotlight is the JavaFX Survey. Danny Coward, reporting on the survey, said: "Don't bottle up any unexpressed opinions about JavaFX, take the survey. Mixed in with the usual snoozeville multichoice questions about the kind of project you work on, you get to rate the current feature set and rank the importance of new features the team's working on: tooling, more controls, performance...."

The current java.net Poll asks "What future do you foresee for GlassFish?" The poll will run through next Thursday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Lowery's A Finite State Machine Supporting Concurrent States, which demonstrates how Java enums and EnumSets can be used as a basis to define and validate application states and state transitions. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's article Introducing Custom Paints to JavaFX, which shows how you can leverage undocumented JavaFX capabilities to support custom paints in JavaFX Version 1.2.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software: 'A conversation with Robert Virkus of Enough Software about J2MEPolish and the "Mobile Deverloper's Guide to the Galaxy."'

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Poll Result: Eclipse and NetBeans Are the Most Used IDEs

Topic: CDC Software to acquire business intelligence solutions for manufacturing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MySpace names Mark Rosenbaum as its first chief financial officer

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use