The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Wednesday Java Quiz: Think You Understand Concurrency?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Wednesday Java Quiz: Think You Understand Concurrency? Posted: Oct 7, 2009 8:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Wednesday Java Quiz: Think You Understand Concurrency?
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

There is a war of words going on about simplicity vs. complexity among the pundit circles:

They argue about many things, including test-driven development, architectures, design patterns and threading:

Joel Spolsky: One principle duct tape programmers understand well is that any kind of coding technique that’s even slightly complicated is going to doom your project. Duct tape programmers tend to avoid C++, templates, multiple inheritance, multithreading, COM, CORBA, and a host of other technologies that are all totally reasonable, when you think long and hard about them, but are, honestly, just a little bit too hard for the human brain.
Robert Martin: I found myself annoyed at Joel’s notion that most programmers aren’t smart enough to use templates, design patterns, multi-threading, COM, etc. I don’t think that’s the case. I think that any programmer that’s not smart enough to use tools like that is probably not smart enough to be a programmer period.

While I had my "A-Ha, so this is how TDD works!" moment at a Robert Martin "Scoring Bowling Game" talk, I don't want to argue against Joel either.

Since I'm fixing some long standing bugs (Chris told me "It's been there for years" yesterday) in a piece of software recently, and it has a threading aspect to it, I'll just throw out snippets that I saw while walking through the code, all I ask is:

Q: What's wrong with them? (They are not complete. Use your imagination to fill in the missing parts.)

Snippet 1

public void foo() {
  Object lock = task.getLock();
  synchronized(lock) {
    task.perform();
    lock.wait();
  }
}

Snippet 2

public void run() {
  while (!done) {
    doIt();
    if (done) break;
    try {
      Thread.sleep(60000L);
    } catch (InterruptedException e) {
    }
  }
}

public void stop() {
  done = true;
  while (thread.isAlive()) {
    try {
      Thread.sleep(500);
    } catch (InterruptedException e) {
    }
  }
}

Snippet 3

public void foo() {
  // code
  class Bar {}
  Object lock = new Bar();
  synchronized(lock) {
    // code
    lock.wait();
  }
  // code
  synchronized(lock) {
    // code
    lock.notify();
  }
}

Read: Wednesday Java Quiz: Think You Understand Concurrency?

Topic: Secret Service find no threat to president in Facebook poll; juvenile responsible not charged Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Gates still Forbes' richest American, 4 Indians among top 400

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use