The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JFXStudio Challenge Highlights what 30 Lines of JavaFX Can Accomplish

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
JFXStudio Challenge Highlights what 30 Lines of JavaFX Can Accomplish Posted: Oct 6, 2009 7:38 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: JFXStudio Challenge Highlights what 30 Lines of JavaFX Can Accomplish
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The winner of last month's JFXStudio Challenge, on the theme of time, was recently announced by Josh Marinacci. Contestants submitted a JavaFX application that consisted of 30 or fewer lines, or 3000 or fewer characters. The application had to be somehow related to time.

There were eight entries. The winning entry was Mark Nankman's Pacman Clock (pictured below). All eight entries are posted in Josh's blog, and the images are live (i.e., they launch the actual submitted JavaFX applications).

The Pacman Clock features a pacman who represents the seconds of time. He travels around a circle, eating dots, which are evenly spaced at one second intervals. When he meets up with a ghost, he eats it and the ghost explodes, rapidly expanding to fill most of the clock window, before falling back to the circle of dots.

Other entries included:

• Reaction Time, by Matthew Hegarty - a game that tests how quickly you can respond to prompts to type a specific key
  • Purple Spinner, by Muhammad Hakim - a somewhat mesmerizing spinning flower
  • Crystal Gears, by Philippe Lhost - turning gears the moving clock hands
  • Timer, by Vaibhav - a timer that counts down to zero based on an amount of time you set
  • 3D Cube, by Carl Dea - a cube that rotates as time ticks away (you can also rotate it with your mouse)
  • Word Clock, by Jasper Potts - concentric circles of words that rotate to give you the current time
  • Spin Clock, by Stephen Chin - numeric dials that spin to provide the current time

You can see pictures of all the entries, and also try them out, in Josh's post, Challenge:Time Winner announced.

Josh also announced that October's JFXStudio Challenge is underway. The rules are the same. The theme for the October contest is: Five.

In Java Today, Chris Wong's Multithreading and the Java Memory Model is available at JavaLobby:

At the New England Software Symposium, I attended Brian Goetz's session called "The Java Memory Model". When I saw the phrase "memory model" in the title I thought it would be about garbage collection, memory allocation and memory types. Instead, it is really about multithreading. The difference is that this presentation focuses on visibility, not locking or atomicity. This is my attempt to summarize his talk...

Josh Marinacci has announced the winner of the September JFXStudio Challenge:

The challenge this month, Time, was competitive. We received some really great entries. I’m happy to say the winner was Pacman Clock, by Mark Nankman. He’ll be receiving his Amazon gift certificate and webbadge.

This month we are having the same challenge, 30 lines or 3000 chars, with a new theme: Five. The challenge ends October 31st at midnight. I can’t wait to see what you create.

Toni Epple has posted part 3 of his NetBeans series Creating An Explorer View with the Visual Library:

As Geertjan has recently blogged, I've started creating an Explorer View with the Visual Library (1/2) as an example for the NetBeans Platform Certified Training that we held in Göttingen recently. The example is still very basic and it misses a lot of functionality, e.g. it doesn't listen on the ExplorerManager and it's events, but I hope to be able to further extend this example to make it a real Explorer View over the next weeks. I like the fact that Geerjan picked up the example and enhanced it with some functionality. So if you think this is going too slow, feel free to extend the sample and blog about it...

In today's Weblogs, Cay Horstmann writes about Recording and serving screencasts:

I just learned how to make Flash screencasts on my Linux system and deliver them (with GlassFish) on a server that the computer science department received as a donation (thanks Sun!!!). Why am I doing this? My publisher wants me to develop screencasts for my books, and I thought it could be useful for my students if I record my lectures. I use a smart board for the lectures, and a screencast that records the "smart" pen and voice works tolerably well.

Carol McDonald continues her series with Top 10 web security vulnerabilities number 2: Injection Flaws:

Number 2 in the Top 10 most critical web application security vulnerabilities identified by the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is Injection Flaws. Injection happens whenever an attacker's data is able to modify a query or command sent to a database, LDAP server, operating system or other Interpreter. Types of injections are SQL, LDAP, XPath, XSLT, HTML, XML, OS command... SQL injection and Cross-Site Scripting account for more than 80% of the vulnerabilities being discovered against Web applications (SANS Top Cyber Security Risks).

And Bruno Ghisi notes that Java DTV 1.2.1 is out!:

The new version of Java DTV specification, 1.2.1, was released at http://www.forumsbtvd.org.br/materias.asp?id=200. Java DTV was created in order to prevent some royalty issues from some MHP APIs, like DAVIC e HAVI, in the Ginga-J subsystem of the Brazilian DTV middleware specification, which is also called Ginga. For more information around this soap opera, check this old blog entry...

In the Forums, myinstinct asks about LWUIT for CDC: "can LWUIT be used for developing CDC apps? I've found a few references to CDC ports, but nothing concrete - just curious if anything has been done in this area..."

Ed Hillmann would like to Include later version of JSF in my WAR file?: "Hi all. I'm developing a JSF application that is targeted for a Glassfish web server. At the moment, we're planning to use Glassfish 2.1. This release of Glassfish comes with JSF 1.2_04. If I want to use a later version of JSF..."

And Tony Anecito has a JAXWS, METRO performance question...: "Hi All, Sorry if I double booked this question but not sure if JAX-WS.dev is being used any longer. I am using JAX-WS that comes with 1.6.0_16 and Java Webstart. I was profiling my client side code when making JAX-WS requests and..."

Our current Spotlight is the JavaFX Survey. Danny Coward, reporting on the survey, said: "Don't bottle up any unexpressed opinions about JavaFX, take the survey. Mixed in with the usual snoozeville multichoice questions about the kind of project you work on, you get to rate the current feature set and rank the importance of new features the team's working on: tooling, more controls, performance...."

The current java.net Poll asks Which IDE do you use? The poll will run through next Thursday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Lowery's A Finite State Machine Supporting Concurrent States, which demonstrates how Java enums and EnumSets can be used as a basis to define and validate application states and state transitions. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's article Introducing Custom Paints to JavaFX, which shows how you can leverage undocumented JavaFX capabilities to support custom paints in JavaFX Version 1.2.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software: 'A conversation with Robert Virkus of Enough Software about J2MEPolish and the "Mobile Deverloper's Guide to the Galaxy."'

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

AttachmentSize
Pacman_Clock.jpg17.73 KB

Read: JFXStudio Challenge Highlights what 30 Lines of JavaFX Can Accomplish

Topic: Java Store Update Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Software Magazine ranks Proteans Software as one of the world's largest software companies

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use