The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Survey for JavaFX Developers Is Underway

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Survey for JavaFX Developers Is Underway Posted: Oct 5, 2009 7:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Survey for JavaFX Developers Is Underway
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Our spotlight this week is the Second JavaFX Survey. Danny Coward notes that the survey provides an opportunity for you "to rate the current feature set and rank the importance of new features the team's working on: tooling, more controls, performance."

Terrence Barr also wrote about the survey:

Today, I am asking you to participate in our 2nd JavaFX developer survey: This one is about your experience developing with JavaFX. We want to hear the good. The bad. The pitfalls. And the stuff that's great and which enables you to create more immersive cross-platform content quicker.

Note that italicized phrase. If you haven't actually done any development using JavaFX, then there won't be many questions you can answer in on the survey.

Terrence says "the data will be reviewed directly by Sun's product development teams." I'm hoping the results will also be made public, since it would be interesting to see what the overall current view of JavaFX is, among developers who have at minimum done some work using JavaFX thus far.

Back in early May, we ran a poll where the question was "How quickly will JavaFX be adopted as a rich client technology? At that time, a majority of votes (53%) was cast for the response "It will never be widely used." But almost 40% thought the technology probably had a future, at some level of significance.

A survey like the new JavaFX Survey has as its goal bringing about that future, by enabling the JavaFX development team to respond to the needs of the JavaFX community.

In Java Today, Frank Sommers of Artima Developer points out Chas Emerick's recent post Java is Dead, But You'll Learn to Love It. Frank writes:

In a recent blog post, Chas Emerick writes that,

Java-the-language is dead. Get over it, and realize that because of that fact, you'll probably come to depend upon Java more than you ever thought possible.

Emerick's point is that many systems languages--languages used very widely in creating infrastructure software--reach a level of maturity beyond which new language additions produce diminishing returns. He believes that Java has reached that point some time ago...

The discussion has been active in response to both Chas's original post and Frank's spotlighting of the post.

The java.net Java User Groups Community reported on Kirk Pepperdine's appearance last week at the NYJavaSIG:

NYJAVASIG held a meeting with notable Java Performance Tuning Expert, Kirk Pepperdine. The meeting occurred at Sun Midtown Office in NYC. Kirk discussed a wide range of Java Performance Tuning topics covering tooling, methodology, architecture, best practices, benchmarking, and memory management, all relating to real-world scenarios and problems. Frank Greco, another Java Champion, is the NYJAVASIG's founder/JUG Leader helped facilitate Kirk's appearance...

Vikram Goyal has posted a new Mobility Tech Tip, Simple Strategy for Logging and Monitoring of MIDlets:

Logging and monitoring your MIDlet in development is easy. Just print some lines on the console around critical events, and you know what is happening within your MIDlet. Integrated development environments (IDEs) such as the NetBeans IDE make this even easier by allowing you to do on-device debugging. But this is of no use to you when your MIDlet is actually being run on a client's phone. How do you monitor your killer MIDlet? Can you receive notification if something critical happens? Can you get an SMS to attend to notifications? Of course, you can. Several APIs make this possible, and this tech tip will show you how to combine them into a single interface...

In today's Weblogs, Felipe Gaucho presents The pedantic guide for a RESTful Registration Use Case:

Registration is one of most implemented use cases ever, but things get a bit different when you try to implement it in a RESTful Web-Service.

Before I start the discussion about the registration use case, a list of terms for disambiguation:

• Application means a Java EE Application. (Arena-PUJ is the Java EE Application I am doing my REST experiments)
  • Service is a RESTful Web-Service. (back-end of a Java EE Application)
  • Client Application is any software that can communicate with the Service using the HTTP Protocol. (front-end of a Java EE Application)...

Jim Driscoll is Mixing Ajax and full requests in JSF 2.0:

JSF 2.0 makes ajax pretty easy - but it can't hide everything from you... It's tempting to just add a few ajax tags into your page, and not worry too much about interactions - here's one example of a problem you may run into.

Let's say you've got a page with an input text, and a command button - like this:

1 <h:form>
   2 <h:inputText value="#{blah.blah}">
   3 </h:inputText>
   4 <h:commandButton/>
   5 </h:form>

Now, we decide to add an ajax tag...

And Binod talks about Writing Your First SailFin CAFE Application:

How do you write a application that enables communication between two SIP phones? What if you also want to support video calling? If you are using SIP servlets, you would be writing one or two sip servlets (atleast a few hundred lines of SIP servlet code) to achieve this. But if you are using Sailfin CAFE, then things change quite dramatically. Here is the code to do all of the above, I mentioned...

In the Forums, dcrk is seeing an issue regarding MIDP-2.1 vs 2.0 devices: "I've just written a simple lwuit test app and deployed it to my LG TE365 phone. I get the error "(my app name) is not designed to work with this device and cannot be installed. -40". The specs for the phone say MIDP-2.0 while the jad..."

lyeung is working with Glassfish V2: Looking for source create-jdbc-connection-pool by xml: "Hi, I'm looking for GFv2.1-b60e source that performs the actual creation of jdbc connection pool through an xml file. From CLIDescriptor.xml, com.sun.enterprise.cli.commands.GenericCommand and com.sun.enterprise.cli.commands.S1ASCommand, I..."

And iam_peter needs to Use TrueTypeFont in SG: "hello, i checked the article from sun. took just this line of code into mine: font = Font.createFont(Font.TRUETYPE_FONT, new File("VAG Round.ttf")); font.deriveFont(30f); but after that, text is no more..."

Our current Spotlight is the JavaFX Survey. Danny Coward, reporting on the survey, said: "Don't bottle up any unexpressed opinions about JavaFX, take the survey. Mixed in with the usual snoozeville multichoice questions about the kind of project you work on, you get to rate the current feature set and rank the importance of new features the team's working on: tooling, more controls, performance...."

The current java.net Poll asks Which IDE do you use? The poll will run through next Thursday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Lowery's A Finite State Machine Supporting Concurrent States, which demonstrates how Java enums and EnumSets can be used as a basis to define and validate application states and state transitions. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's article Introducing Custom Paints to JavaFX, which shows how you can leverage undocumented JavaFX capabilities to support custom paints in JavaFX Version 1.2.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software: 'A conversation with Robert Virkus of Enough Software about J2MEPolish and the "Mobile Deverloper's Guide to the Galaxy."'

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media

Read: Survey for JavaFX Developers Is Underway

Topic: Scrum for developers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The best amount of polyglotism is that you can manage successfully

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use