The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
J2ME Polish and 'Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy'

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
J2ME Polish and 'Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy' Posted: Oct 1, 2009 7:38 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: J2ME Polish and 'Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy'
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Today's lead Java Today entry focusses on recent activities in the java.net Mobile and Embedded community, including Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software and Terrence Barr's latest post, Don't Panic: Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy.

Terrence recently interviewed Robert Virkus of
>Enough Software
, and this interview forms the bulk of Java Mobility Podcast 88. In the interview, Robert tells Terrence about J2MEPolish (that's "polish," as in "polishing" your JavaME app, not "Polish" as in "from Poland"). There is discussion of the relationship and differences between J2MEPolish and the LWUIT framework.

The podcast also includes discussion about Roger Brinkley's trip to South America for JUG meetings, and Terrence Barr's trip to Europe (the OSIM conference in Amsterdam is where the interview with Robert Virkus occurred).

Robert talked about a 40-page PDF he's been involved in, the production of Don't Panic: Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy. This colorful document is actually a quite handy introduction and basic reference for the mobile development world.

Now, I'll admit that -- well, I myself could do without so many cartoon-like graphics -- but, still, when you go to page 3, you see a quite solid Table of Contents for mobile development. The main sections are:

• Application Environments Overview
  • Programming J2ME / Java ME Apps
  • Bringing Your Mobile Content to the Mobile Web: "Keep it small, keep it simple"
  • Now what -- which Environment Should I Use?

Page 5 gives us the authors' bios. Robert Virkus is the founder and CEO of Enough Software. His purpose in launching the J2ME Polish open source project was to "overcome the device fragmentation barrier" -- certainly a laudable objective.

There's a lot of interesting information in the Guide, and it makes sense out of something that indeed does seem fragmented to those of us who are not intimately involved in the Mobile development universe (or Galaxy). And I guess the pictures demonstrate the type of simplicity you should aim for when you create graphics for your own mobile apps -- so I guess I'll forgive them on that score -- this time!

In Java Today, we've just published Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software. Terrence Barr posted a related blog, Don't Panic: Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy:

Check out this nifty little handbook for budding mobile developers called "Don't Panic - Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy". It provides a high-level overview of mobile platforms and development and lists some of the common pitfalls and solutions. Great for developers who are just getting started in the mobile space. I'm told me the guide is also being made available soon as a wiki to encourage developers to enhance and grow it going forward...

Danny Coward has discovered a New JavaFX User Group:

Java User Groups have a long history. As you can see,
href="http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/JUGs/SunTop50JUGProgram">they

href="http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/JUGs/SunTop50JUGProgram"> have
spread
all over the world. Some of them have turned into
href="http://www.devoxx.com/display/DV09/Home">whole conferences
! And now there's a new (
href="http://javafx.jp/">second
href="http://groups.google.com/group/india-javafx-user-group">third
?)  JavaFX users group, just
down the road from the Planetarium.

Some weeks ago, Silicon Valley JUG leader Michael Van Riper announced the Silicon Valley Code Camp. The camp happens this weekend:

...Please join me at the 4th annual Silicon Valley Code Camp at Foothill College in Los Altos on October 3-4, 2009. It is shaping up to be even bigger and better than last year's event. Attendance is FREE, but space is limited. So, you do need to register in advance. Sessions will range from informal chalk talks to presentations. There will be a mix of presenters, some experienced folks, for some it may be their first opportunity to speak in public. And we are expecting to see people from throughout the Northern California region and beyond...

In today's Weblogs, John Ferguson Smart provides instruction on Working with temporary files in JUnit 4.7:

Another handy feature in JUnit 4.7 is the TemporaryFolder @Rule. Using this rule, JUnit will create a temporary folder before your test, and delete it afterwards, whether the test passes or fails. This comes in very handy for tests involving file manipulation of any sort. Of course you can write this code yourself (and most of us have!), but any infrastructure coding in tests is tiresome at best, and at worst will discourage developers (present company excluded, of course ;-)) from doing the sort of thorough testing that any file-based functionality really requires. So any build-in help in this area is very welcome...

Bhavani Shankar invites us to Explore SailFin cluster, high availability features using Basic3pcc sample application:

The "Basic3pcc" sample demonstrates a simple Third Party Call Control (3pcc) application in SailFin. This blog describes how to explore out-of-box cluster and high availability features of SailFin using this sample...

Jim Driscoll sends us a JSF 2.0 Reminder: Project Stage:

Just a reminder that while you are developing a JSF 2.0 project, you really, really, really should enable the Development Project Stage. Doing this enables better error messages, including in the client side JavaScript, at the cost of some performance. Enabling this is as simple as putting the below into your web.xml...

In the Forums, maxedev asks Is this graphs are for normal performance or the app leaking the memory ?!!: "Hey there, I'm new to java profiling and testing and I faced some hang ups so i made some fixes to my code. It's medium sized application and i captured some shots of the Memory Heap, Memory GC, Threads/Loaded classes Graphs From..."

hman007 asks How does Java decide between Heap and Stack?: "I was coding in C a while ago and got a bug I couldn't figure out for a long time. I've just started in Java & want to avoid a similar error. It had something like: function X() { int bigArr[10,000]..."

And kurt2002 has a problem with gfv3 2009-09-28: cannot load admingui (called from localhost:4848): "The configuration (domain1.xml) to previous working version (2009-09-16) looks the same. I just unzipped the lastest_glassfish.zip (on WinXP with Java 1.6.0_16), started the domain via startserv.bat and tried to connect to the..."

Our current Spotlight is this week's Economist magazine feature on "The power of mobile money": "mobile phones have evolved in a few short years to become tools of economic empowerment for the world’s poorest people. These phones compensate for inadequate infrastructure, such as bad roads and slow postal services, allowing information to move more freely, making markets more efficient and unleashing entrepreneurship ... With such phones now so commonplace, a new opportunity beckons: mobile money, which allows cash to travel as quickly as a text message..."

The current java.net Poll asks "What do you think about the accelerating emergence of new languages for the JVM?" The poll will run through Thursday.

Our Feature Articles include Jeff Lowery's A Finite State Machine Supporting Concurrent States, which demonstrates how Java enums and EnumSets can be used as a basis to define and validate application states and state transitions. We're also featuring Jeff Friesen's article Introducing Custom Paints to JavaFX, which shows how you can leverage undocumented JavaFX capabilities to support custom paints in JavaFX Version 1.2.

The latest Java Mobility Podcast is Java Mobile Podcast 88: Robert Virkus of Enough Software: 'A conversation with Robert Virkus of Enough Software about J2MEPolish and the "Mobile Deverloper's Guide to the Galaxy."'

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham

O'Reilly Media

Read: J2ME Polish and 'Mobile Developers Guide to the Galaxy'

Topic: Tibco Software shares up after 3Q results top Wall Street forecasts Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Twitter-like technology can reveal songbirds' social lives

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use