The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JDK 1.5 alpha... seems to be alpha

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
JDK 1.5 alpha... seems to be alpha Posted: Dec 29, 2003 2:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: JDK 1.5 alpha... seems to be alpha
Feed Title: Marc's Java Blog
Feed URL: http://www.logemann.org/day/index_java.xml
Feed Description: Java related topics for all major areas. So you will see J2ME, J2SE and J2EE issues here.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Marc's Java Blog

Advertisement

recently i had some time to download the alpha tiger and did a fresh Win32 install. At least i wanted to have a reason to upgrade to upcoming IDEA 4.0, because the Swing Designer is only a buy argument for the JBuilder folks.

But back to 1.5 alpha. After installing i had the pleasure of some crazy behavior [DELETED BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE LICENSE VIOLATION] But i am happy to have 1.5 installed, because debugging this error was not too easy, i allways thought that java.exe will be placed only in JDK/bin folder and i was quite sure that i am still using java.exe from my latest 1.4 JDK but this wasnt the case. So i had to read the complete JDK installation procedure for windows.

I dont know how long Sun has been doing this System32 copying of java.exe and javaw.exe, but for me it was new somehow. More interessting was that the 1.5 install also modified the registry entries for some JDK1.4 keys, which was not too nice. After all, i must say that i really hate this "i copy the important stuff to your system folder" attitude, but i should think about java for the masses, in this scenario it must be foolproof i assume.

Ok, lets give the latest IDEA EAP a try and do some 1.5 features hacking. This will be fun, an alpha JDK with an alpha IDE. Crazy behaviour guaranteed.

BTW can anyone confirm that i am not permitted to blog about 1.5 alpha release? I hate reading english legal text.

Read: JDK 1.5 alpha... seems to be alpha

Topic: Getting MIME types with java.net.FileNameMap Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Tech Interview Writeup

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use