The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Facebook Advertising X

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Charles Miller

Nickname: carlfish

Charles Miller is a Java nerd with a weblog
Facebook Advertising X Posted: Jul 20, 2009 11:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Charles Miller.
Original Post: Facebook Advertising X
Feed Title: The Fishbowl
Feed URL: https://fishbowl.pastiche.org/atom.xml
Feed Description: tail -f /dev/mind > blog
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Charles Miller
Latest Posts From The Fishbowl

Advertisement

A recent story on Mashable reported of a Facebook user discovering their photo being used in an advertisement for a dating site. After much to-ing and fro-ing it was determined that while Facebook do reserve the right to use your likeness in advertising, this particular ad came from a third party network.

Colour me not particularly surprised. A couple of days ago I spotted this advertisement gracing the right-hand side of my Facebook page:

‘Now you can get six-packs with a new proven method!’

“Wait a minite!” I thought. “That fellow in the picture looks remarkably familiar. I wonder if I can find something like it on the Internet?”

If you were playing at home, you’re absolutely right. It's Edward Norton playing a skinhead murderer in the movie American History X. That little black blob carefully cropped out of the frame? A swastika tattoo.

Oh dear.

Reputable sites often run disreputable adverts, but generally they blame their provider and take steps to avoid the offending ads appearing again. Facebook, though, is the provider. The fact that this sort of thing is a par for the course on the site is a bad sign. It suggests Facebook is so desperate to get anyone to advertise that they can’t afford to exercise any quality control.

Read: Facebook Advertising X

Topic: Stocks rally as upbeat earnings and forecast at Intel boost hopes for an economic rebound Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Google's Chrome OS looks a lot like a familiar Linux: Bill Gates

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use