The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Kevin Nilson: Pushing Data To The Browser With Comet

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Kevin Nilson: Pushing Data To The Browser With Comet Posted: Jul 10, 2009 8:09 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Kevin Nilson: Pushing Data To The Browser With Comet
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

Last night's presenter at the St. Louis Java Users Group is Kevin Nilson who gave a fascinating talk about Pushing Data to the Browser with Comet.

I came into the presentation not knowing what Comet is, exception what I heard on the internet. Kevin did a great job explaining what Comet is. The most valuable part of the presentation is the demonstrations Kevin did, which are fun and informative.

I'll let you read an article by Kevin himself to get the gist of what the subject matter is. I'll just show the words I wrote down during the talk:

• Jetty
  • Pub/Sub
  • Bayeux
  • JASONp
  • script tag
  • XSS
  • Cometd
  • Long polling
  • Channel
  • Service channel
  • Meta channel
  • Server crash
  • Client auto-reconnect
  • JSON on the wire/HTTP

The background conversation at the JUG is also informative:

• Is Scala for real? Kevin told us its the hottest thing at Silicon Valley. Mark and I still have some lingering doubts. Mark is focusing on something called persistent data structures. I'm more of a Luddite, fearing the years of learning that I have to go through to be proficient.
  • At the end of the session, when Brian went up the stage to run the Birthday Selector application to give away the goodies, Kevin Nilson mentioned the Wheel of Fortune application that Jim Weaver wrote for his JUG. Small world.
  • Ken Totton (of OCI, where I work) is still looking for top notch Java architects and developers. Send me an email at "weiqigao at speakeasy dot com" if you are interested. A couple of other places are also recruiting.
  • Brian asked a question about MigLayout. He's reading the OCI May Java News Brief on MigLayout. I gave him an meta-answer: "Just blog about how it doesn't work, and the MigLayout author will comment on your blog and show you the right answer."

Coming back to Cometd, I do have one reservation: It's another messaging protocol. This is the rare occasion when my Java duties intersect with my messaging protocol-watching duties. It reminds me something Paul says around the office: "You can always define a Pub/Sub protocol on top of a Request/Response protocol. And you can always define a Request/Response protocol on top of a Pub/Sub protocol."

That why this post will also be available under the title "Another JUG Meeting, Another Messaging Protocol". :)

Read: Kevin Nilson: Pushing Data To The Browser With Comet

Topic: Dell could face fine over pricing errors on its Taiwanese Web site Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Indian software engineer shot at in South Africa

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use