The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
UTF-8 Support on Siemens Devices

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
UTF-8 Support on Siemens Devices Posted: Dec 20, 2003 6:13 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: UTF-8 Support on Siemens Devices
Feed Title: Marc's Java Blog
Feed URL: http://www.logemann.org/day/index_java.xml
Feed Description: Java related topics for all major areas. So you will see J2ME, J2SE and J2EE issues here.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Marc's Java Blog

Advertisement

The analysts allready said it, the world is saved by the invention of webservices. Gosh, this is cool. Two years later, i tried my first webservices projects, but i have a J2ME/MIDP client, not a full featured web app or something.

Because i love Siemens mobile phones and own one too, i started my complete development with the S55 Emulator. And the nightmare began:

- no UTF-8 support.

The engineers at Siemens seems to have problems understanding the value of a java enabled device. Of course people will start developing applications and of course some weird ones will also start using webserives. When using SOAP, UTF-8 is a very common encoding and all Webservice toolkits will crank out this encoding per default. Now arrived at my phone, and being in the position to be non-american, i got only trashed german umlaute. (Heaven is living in an us ascii world these days)

So i had to write my own UTF-8 decoder, which wasnt too hard with the help of DataStreams in Java, but the research before costed me days.

Another crazy issue (only and really only happened with my S55 Emulator) is IOExceptions when accessing webservices in a loop on my local tomcat. Debugging was quite impossible because it was non-determinant.

After all, i begin to hate this emulator and siemens at all, but i cant yell out too loud, because i dont know if other vendors have the same problems. But at the end, it cant be too hard to provide a UTF-8 encoding in the device.

Read: UTF-8 Support on Siemens Devices

Topic: JSP 2.0 sql tag to call stored procedures Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Struts Waning

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use