The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Costa's or Anna's?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
Costa's or Anna's? Posted: May 4, 2009 7:44 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: Costa's or Anna's?
Feed Title: Mokka mit Schlag
Feed URL: http://www.elharo.com/blog/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Ranting and Raving
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From Mokka mit Schlag

Advertisement

Yesterday at the Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary in Modjeska Canyon, I spent a lot of time looking at this hummingbird:

Male Calypte Hummingbird

The classic distinction between a male Anna’s and a male Costa’s is that the Anna’s has a red gorget while the Costa’s has a purple gorget. The problem is that the much more common (around here at least) Anna’s male can also seem purple depending on angle and light. More than once I’ve sat and watched a hummingbird’s gorget switch from purple to red to purple to red to black to purple to red as it moved its head around. At this point I am extremely cautious about calling any Orange County hummingbird a Costa’s without an expert standing next to me to confirm the ID.

However this hummingbird shows purple in all my photographs and in the field. It never really looked red to me at all. Its gorget did , surprisingly, sometime look copper, which is a color I’ve never seen on an Anna’s. I’m almost ready to stick my gorget out and call it a Costa’s except that according to Sibley, another distinguishing mark is that the wingtips of the Costa’s extend all the way to the tail tip, while on the Anna’s they’re a bit short. Damn. These wingtips clearly don’t extend all the way to the tail tip, though perhaps that’s a function of the angle or how the bird holds its wings at any given moment?

On the other hand, the more I look at this bird the more it looks violet and Costa’s like and the less Anna’s like it looks. I’m stumped. Anyone want to call this one?

Read: Costa's or Anna's?

Topic: Time Warner Cable 1st-qtr profit dips on charges, but revenue rose as people stay with cable Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: IAC reports first-quarter loss, though revenue beats analyst estimates

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use