The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Mobile Download Managers

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Russell Beattie

Nickname: rbeattie

Russell Beattie is a Mobile Internet Developer
Mobile Download Managers Posted: Dec 14, 2003 12:42 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Russell Beattie.
Original Post: Mobile Download Managers
Feed Title: Russell Beattie Notebook
Feed URL: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/rss.jsp?q=java,code,mobile
Feed Description: My online notebook with thoughts, comments, links and more.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Russell Beattie
Latest Posts From Russell Beattie Notebook

Advertisement

Anil linked to PalmOne's new Addit app which I think is awesome. It allows you to view and choose from a list of PalmApps, which you can then download and run immediately or "Over The Air"/OTA. This is an awesome step for the Palm platform, which up until now has always assumed that you would have a PC available to install applications.

Though I wonder how scalable/updateable they are, I like the non-latency and immediacy download-manager apps like this give the mobile user. Sure you can approximate this sort of experience via WAP or XHTML-MP (WAP2), but until the mobile networks are a little faster and the processors on the phones a little more powerful, the lag is just too much for most users.

There are other apps out there like this like Sony Ericsson's Application Shop and Qualcomm's BREW Distribution System. I tried to find more, but I couldn't seem to track them down right now, but I know I'm missing one or two big ones.

Obviously, you can point to the success of i-Mode and Vodafone Live! as examples of web-based download sites. For example, I was just looking at Vindigo 2.0 and the way you need to download it is via the carrier's WAP pages, like AT&T Wireless' mMode pages. However, I personally think that if these carriers had an app like Addit pre-installed on their phones, they'd get a much higher download rate and higher ARPUs. As long as the app didn't suck, I guess. ;-)

-Russ

Comment

Read: Mobile Download Managers

Topic: Gibson Digital Guitar and MaGIC technology Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Production Operating Systems for Java Apps

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use