The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Software Facts and Fallacies

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
Software Facts and Fallacies Posted: Dec 11, 2003 7:02 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: Software Facts and Fallacies
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

Shows just how great cubicals are!

I got Robert Glass's Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering yesterday as a sort of self surprise: I'd forgotten I'd ordered it, so when Alex said, "you have another package," it was like Christmas at the office.

Anyhow, it's a fantastic book so far. As is the style now-a-days, it's a collection of small items, each leading off with an aphoristic-like sum-up; there're 55 items discussed via a standard Description/Discussion/Further Reader template. I like this format quite a bit: it's easy to skip around, refer back to it, and it doesn't have all the clutter of a more narrative form. But, enough about that.

Here's an excerpt discussing some of the "findings" from poplar (which Glass refers to as a "classic" throughout) on the relation between quality work and workspace:

They took members of a project team and separated the top quartile of performers from the bottom quartile (the top quartile performed 2.6 times better than the bottom). They then examined the working environment of those people at the top and those at the bottom. The top people had 1.7 times as much workspace (measured in available floor space in square feet). Twice as often, they found their workspace "acceptably quite." More than 3 times as often, they found it "acceptably private." Between 4 and 5 times as often, they could divert phone calls or silence their phone. They were interrupted by other people (needlessly) about half as often.

The premise of the book can easily be gleamed from it's original title, Fifty-Five Frequently Forgotten Fundamental Facts (and a Few Fallacies) about Software Engineering. Glass was hoping it'd become know as "The F-Book." As Glass notes on the decision to shorten the title, "the letter F is probably the only dirty letter in our alphabet (H and D have their advocates, also, but F seems to reach another level of dirtiness.

Like I said, it's a really good book so far. You should probably read it too.

Read: Software Facts and Fallacies

Topic: Delphi/Interbase Weblog Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Nokia: Mobile Media

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use