The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What should you put in the cloud right now? from PeopleOverProcess.com

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
What should you put in the cloud right now? from PeopleOverProcess.com Posted: Dec 10, 2008 1:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: What should you put in the cloud right now? from PeopleOverProcess.com
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

Lighting the C-Scape Reception

As you may have picked up, I’m on the SearchDataCenter.com Advisory Board. Part of this “boarding” involves answering questions from time-to-time. The current question was interesting:

For this month’s data center advisory board question, we asked our panel if data center managers should consider cloud computing for their operations, and under what scenarios.

The panelists offered very specific advice on where to use cloud computing, and provided a checklist of cloud computing risks to consider, while others offered healthy skepticism about the entire concept.

It’s great to read the variety of replies from the board; as you know from the IT Management podcast we’re all a little cloud-crazy over here.

How much are you paying for your intranet apps?

My answer revolved around something you might have heard me talk about before, namely, IT managers should be looking at low-priority intranet sites and applications and ask if it’d be more cost efficient to move them to a cloud-based (or SaaS-based) service.

Here’s a the start of my answer:

IT managers should be looking at converting their on-premise infrastructure to what we recently called “Software-as-a-Service” and now the bucket of “cloud computing.” If your email isn’t in the cloud already, there should be a fantastically good reason, like regulations that prevent off-premises email.

Can you host your instant messaging in the cloud? How about file sharing and basic intranet functions?

Check out the rest in the full piece and the fine answers from my fellow boardies. Also, you can check out our previous answer to the question of the IT department can survive the economic downturn.

Disclosure: SearchDataCenter.com pays RedMonk a small fee for our participation.

Read: What should you put in the cloud right now? from PeopleOverProcess.com

Topic: Links for December 4th through December 5th from PeopleOverProcess.com Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Xspot Video ScreenCast

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use