The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
#444 and #445 at Robert Badham

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
#444 and #445 at Robert Badham Posted: Oct 8, 2008 7:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: #444 and #445 at Robert Badham
Feed Title: Mokka mit Schlag
Feed URL: http://www.elharo.com/blog/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Ranting and Raving
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From Mokka mit Schlag

Advertisement

Since moving out here to Orange County, I’ve spent a lot of time birding in the marshes, mountains, and beaches in about that order. However I’ve managed to miss the rocky coast aside from a couple of not especially productive trips in the early summer. Yesterday I decided to correct that. I checked the tide tables, and they didn’t look good (high tide about 4:00 P.M.) but Beth was at the ballet and I didn’t have anything better to do so I decided to go anyway.

I got to Corona del Mar about 5:30, and parked at the end of Poppy Ave. I started scoping the ocean and rocks from above. Western and Hermann’s Gulls were in abundance. from the road I spotted a couple of Black Turnstones, #444. They were soon joined by several Ruddy Turnstones. A Willet was also hanging out. There was one more bird on the rocks I couldn’t quite make out, so I walked down to the beach.

From the beach, I could easily pick out birds on the rocks with binoculars alone. The turnstones and Willet were still present and surprisingly unafraid of people. I relocated the mystery bird. It acted a lot like a Spotted Sandpiper, but was larger and grayer. There were two obvious possibilities, either of which would be life birds for me: Surfbird and Wandering Tattler. Then it flew from one rock to another giving a distinct flash of white on the tail. That’s usually a good field mark, and checking my Sibley’s, sure enough, there it was: Surfbird! #445. I hung around till dusk hoping for a Tattler to wander in, but no such luck. I did add a Black Phoebe, a Brown Pelican, and a Black-bellied Plover. Maybe I’ll see the Tattler next time if the tide’s lower.

Sadly I forgot the camera in the car. I wish I hadn’t. These shorebirds were a lot more cooperative than usual, and would have given some great pictures. I may try again tomorrow.

Total species count was 12:

• Brown Pelican
  • Brandt’s Cormorant
  • Black-bellied Plover
  • Willet
  • Ruddy Turnstone
  • Black Turnstone
  • Surfbird
  • Heermann’s Gull
  • Western Gull
  • Black Phoebe
  • Northern Mockingbird
  • House Finch

Pretty good for an hour after work.

Read: #444 and #445 at Robert Badham

Topic: Links for October 2nd from PeopleOverProcess.com Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: CMIS Specifics

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use