The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Artistic License

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Charles Miller

Nickname: carlfish

Charles Miller is a Java nerd with a weblog
Artistic License Posted: Aug 11, 2008 4:55 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Charles Miller.
Original Post: Artistic License
Feed Title: The Fishbowl
Feed URL: https://fishbowl.pastiche.org/atom.xml
Feed Description: tail -f /dev/mind > blog
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Charles Miller
Latest Posts From The Fishbowl

Advertisement

I found a link to Where is Bob? on Reddit, a WTF-style blog about an incompetent IT manager. It is decently written and I was enjoying the latest article. Then I came to this bit:

And that is the long story (the short story is always simply “Bob is an idiot, and here we are”) of how I found myself stuck in a conference room with four Jira sales-people, a small wall clock ticking away the minutes of my life, and a large pot of coffee.

Er… huh? We would send four guys out to a “small university IT shop” to sell a product that costs at most $5k? We even have four sales-people? Sure, in really special cases where there's a lot of money involved (and you’re within half an hour’s drive of San Francisco or Sydney) we might send two guys out for a chat, but for most customers our entire sales process consists of slightly weird automated emails.

Granted, most blogs of this nature have a large fictional component. Giving the author the benefit of the doubt, one assumes she took two stories that on their own wouldn't sustain a full article — “stupid boss wants to replace Bugzilla with commercial issue tracker” and “stupid boss didn't turn up to early morning meeting he scheduled himself” — and melded them together. Still, the artistic license really doesn't help with the suspension of disbelief.

Read: Artistic License

Topic: 10 Things to Know Before You Go To Beijing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: R as in Random...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use