The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Git the inevitable?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
Git the inevitable? Posted: Jun 21, 2008 12:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: Git the inevitable?
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement

I had been putting it off, but it looks like I'll have to dive into Git some more.

Peer pressure

I'm a big, big Mercurial fan (I think the command set is awesome and I think Git has some warts), but the ground up community drive and sense of urgency around Git is something else. I'll be using Mercurial for managing my own stuff and a few other codebases, but the social activity around Git I think means it'll be increasingly harder to function "from downstream" without knowing how to use it well. A few examples of things that have conspired to tip me over:

- Jacob Kaplan Moss has served out a Git repository for Django. I've been managing local Django trunks via mercurial for a while now. Now I don't have to.

- Scott Chacon's presentation (here's a PDF). Has the best explanation of how to map standard cantral models to DVCS I've seen. Scott also has a Git book on peepcode.

- The Prags are going to ship a Git book. Prag books influence developers (their Subversion book was a godsend a few years back).

- Ryan Tomayko likes it.

- Google alledegly choosing git for Android. Assuming it's true (and it might not be, Perforce tools for modern Java IDEs are stellar), I wager Google code will support Git as a side-effect. Arguably DVCS is a better fit for that company's DNA than a central repository anyway.

- git-svn seems to be far ahead of anything hg/svn related. This I think is the most important thing - it means Git will be the upgrade path to DVCS for Subversion repositories.

Versioning

Finally, a long bet - automated deployment tools will be built on Git. Why? Well I think deployment is best modelled as a publishing problem and Git internally is closer to a versioned content management system than the other DVCSes (in particular the way it doesn't use deltas to manage files). Combine that with 

• the pull/push features (publishing systems always need them)
  • multiway branch merging (which naturally supports the configuration-pulled-from-another-repository pattern)
  • it manages source code to begin with (doh!)

means (I think) someone eventually will see deployment as an extension of checkout/push instead of an entitrely separate workflow, and start writing command tooling around that. Also one thing a DVCS supports is end to end versioning by having the production systems (especially configuration) versioned in place. Let's not pretend otherwise - everyone has at sometime or another, patched a live server directly. Bad practice or no, when that happens a centralised VCS gives you no direction home - but a DVCS support bidirectional flow because the production server is just another branch.

Read: Git the inevitable?

Topic: Language Commitment Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Mike O’Rourke at RSDC 2008 - Rational Team Concert, Rational’s Customers, New Build Innovations...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use