The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
#413 Red-billed Blue Magpie at the New Summer Palace

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
#413 Red-billed Blue Magpie at the New Summer Palace Posted: May 13, 2008 8:32 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: #413 Red-billed Blue Magpie at the New Summer Palace
Feed Title: Mokka mit Schlag
Feed URL: http://www.elharo.com/blog/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Ranting and Raving
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From Mokka mit Schlag

Advertisement

Tuesday, Day #6, Beth was playing hooky from the electronic music at the conference, so I took her to visit the New Summer Palace (the one the Empress Dowager Cixi built after the Old Summer Palace was destroyed by the British and French Allied Forces around 1860.) In the cab ride over I saw two more of my “White-winged Starlings” (that I suspected were Crested Mynas) but once again I didn’t see them long enough or well enough to be sure.

The Summer Palace itself is very pretty: lots of people, temples, and palaces. We didn’t see half of them. Not many birds though, despite the large lake. (Lakes and water features are usually surefire bird attractors, but in Beijing most water was shockingly bird free except at the Old Summer Palace. The only water birds we saw at the New Summer Palace were a few Mallards in the lagoon at Suzhou Street.) Aside from the ubiquitous Black-billed and Azure-winged Magpies, most of the birds were painted:

Painting of swallows on building eave

There was a Hall of Listening to Orioles (for opera, think “nightingale” in English) but we didn’t see or hear a single oriole the entire trip. :-(

We climbed up to the Buddhist Temple of the Sea of Wisdom, then walked down the back. There aren’t many hills in Beijing, and the emperors seemed fond of putting temples on top of the few hills they have. I don’t think we saw one hill the whole trip that didn’t have a temple on top.

Buddhist temple of the Sea of Wisdom from below

Walking down the hill, we headed toward Suzhou Street. On the way I heard a really raucous cry. I’d heard this same cry the day before at The Temple of Heaven Park, but hadn’t been able to track the bird down. This time I got luckier. It was a Red-billed Blue Magpie! I only saw it briefly, and didn’t get a photo, but it was unmistakable. This is a really impressive bird. In fact, after finding it inside the field guide, I realized it was also the bird on the cover:

Suzhou Street was amusing, if more than a little touristy. Like the Great Wall, everyone was trying to sell us something in pidgin English. Beth did have fun playing Chinese flutes with a musician though. Apparently music qualifies as a universal language.

Walking back, some swallows were hawking for insects over the lake. Then I saw a genuine raptor, possibly a kestrel of some kind? It was gone too fast to tell. Almost immediately after, I saw two Mourning Doves fly over. It’s always good to check on familiar birds in unfamiliar locations, and on doing so I realized there are no Mourning Doves here. So what could they have been? Unfortunately there were several other possibilities, so all I could really say was that we’d seen two doves.

We caught a cab back to the conservatory, and ate lunch in the Rathskellar (not its real name, but close enough in spirit). Fish hotpot again. Beth went to the conference and I took a nap until it was time to get ready for the closing concert.

Read: #413 Red-billed Blue Magpie at the New Summer Palace

Topic: The new applet experience Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: links for 2008-05-06 from PeopleOverProcess.com

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use