The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
WhatWiLLNotBeAtJavaONe

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Fred Grott

Nickname: shareme

Fred Grott is Lead Developer-CEO of ShareMe Technologies LLC -The Mobile Future
WhatWiLLNotBeAtJavaONe Posted: May 4, 2008 10:30 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Fred Grott.
Original Post: WhatWiLLNotBeAtJavaONe
Feed Title: ShareMe Technologies LLC-The Mobile Future
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/shareme/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: A Weblog about Java programming and digital convergence on mobile devices in such areas as P2P and collaborative technology.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Fred Grott
Latest Posts From ShareMe Technologies LLC-The Mobile Future

Advertisement
My readers know that I am very good technology predictor or trend screamer and thus this post title, InfoQ if really interested I listen to cash to pay my living expenses. Thus, what is the one or most important trend that will not be covered at JavaOne that in fact should be covered.

Scripting on the Java Virtual Machine has gotten 'play' before in past years. We have of course JSR 223 and the scripting project at java.net, jsr 292 adding anew JV instruction called invokedynamic and etc. sound s like a far away event that we will not see for awhile, right?

What if I were to tell you that a major group of competitors to the ruby on Rails frameworks were going to be on the JVM in python running at production stable levels this year? Okay, lets go through all the signs.

According to this InfoQ article we have had a new Python compiler 2.5 since September 2007. We have the Python 2.5 release. Jython roadmap states next Jython release(2.5) is targeted for Python2.5. It has the sated goal of getting Django, TurboGears, Twisted(Actually, I mean Woven on top of Twisted), and Pylons MVC web frameworks running on Jython 2.5 within the JVM.

Jython's team progress as of April 2008(per progress report here):

Production release of Jython is up to 2.2

Jython source code is up to CPython 2.3 and they are now transitioning to CPython 2.5

Parser Milestone 1 finished by javaOne 2008

Milestone 2 by end of June 2008.

Milestone 3 Django and TurboGears and Zope GSOC projects

Milestone 4 advanced Compiler also a GSOC project
,br> I think they are going to give Sun and JRuby some very hard competition folks! Python native on the JVM by end of 2008 seems like a goal that will be reached.

Read: WhatWiLLNotBeAtJavaONe

Topic: links for 2008-04-27 from PeopleOverProcess.com Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Earthquake

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use