The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What Test Driven Won't Get Me

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
What Test Driven Won't Get Me Posted: Apr 29, 2008 11:10 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: What Test Driven Won't Get Me
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

Thanks to Eric and Brian and other champions of test first development, I've been profitably writing unit tests and functional tests in various projects for more than seven years.

Nowadays I wouldn't dare delivering anything without having thoroughly tested it. For me, the tests serves three purposes:

• To ensure that the functionalities are implemented correctly
  • To discover corner cases that you just couldn't think of during on-paper design
  • To provide a safety net that is needed to confidently refactor the code base to improve design

However, my own experience with the concept of test driven design has been mixed. And here are some of the limitations of the approach, as I see it:

• Your test driven design won't be that much better than your non-test driven design. If you know nothing about designing a compiler, no amount of testing will make you come up with a design for a compiler
  • Your tests will drive you to designs that are more complicated than necessary, with an abundance of entities and interactions. You will be doing a lot of "create class", "create method", "create field" from the IDEs refactor menu, but rarely do "consolidate classes" or "consolidate methods" because no such refactoring exists
  • Your test driven design may drive you towards a design that's less amendable for future changes. Without forethought, you may be too focused on delivering functionality that satisfy only the current requirements, thinking "I can always refactor later to accommodate future requirements"

In other words, if you don't know how to design, no amount of testing will make you a good designer.

In other news, Donald Knuth professes that "With the caveat that there’s no reason anybody should care about the opinions of a computer scientist/mathematician like me regarding software development, let me just say that almost everything I’ve ever heard associated with the term "extreme programming" sounds like exactly the wrong way to go...with one exception. The exception is the idea of working in teams and reading each other’s code. That idea is crucial, and it might even mask out all the terrible aspects of extreme programming that alarm me."

Read: What Test Driven Won't Get Me

Topic: The problem with OpenID is… Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: links for 2008-04-22 from PeopleOverProcess.com

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use