The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Thick and Rich Like Snickers Cake

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Danno Ferrin

Nickname: shemnon

Danno Ferrin isn't the worst speler you've met, but he's not the best either.
Thick and Rich Like Snickers Cake Posted: Nov 24, 2003 2:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Danno Ferrin.
Original Post: Thick and Rich Like Snickers Cake
Feed Title: And They Shall Know Me By My Speling Errors
Feed URL: http://shemnon.com/speling/archives/cat_GUI.rdf
Feed Description: Danno Ferrin's Many Reasons he was a Comp Sci Major and not an English Major
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Danno Ferrin
Latest Posts From And They Shall Know Me By My Speling Errors

Advertisement

It appears that I've been getting some drubbing over what I call thick and thin. One coward who wouldn't leave a real name in the comments section stated that

Are you implying the Swing == thick ?????
This is completely false.A Swing client could be thick or thin.

One of the things I learned in school is to make statements that don't contradict themselves, like calling something completely false and then immediatly stating that part of the time it is true. This is predicate logic, typically covered in the sophomore year of most CS departments, which the responder must have been too drunk to remember. Mr. "Look at me I'm Anonymous!" should have just said that my choice of words was imprecise in his opinion.

Neil kindly pointed out that Sun has been using the term "Rich Client". I always thought that term was a reaction to the (formerly) negative connotation of a thick client, when they were client/server applications (such as your typical PowerBuilder app). Perceiving it to be marketing fluff I had quickly expunged this term from my vocabulary. But the lines and definitions between thick and thin are getting very blurred and stuff like WebStart is even obliterating some of those lines.

But sometimes things can be too rich. If you ever cook a Snickers Cake be sure to use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips. That was a little too rich and thick.

Read: Thick and Rich Like Snickers Cake

Topic: A Handful of Vulnerabilities: Introduction Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pre-compile JSP's on JBoss?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use