The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Unfinished eXPerience Redux

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
John Topley

Nickname: johntopley

John Topley is embarking on a journey to become a J2EE master.
Unfinished eXPerience Redux Posted: Nov 24, 2003 1:45 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by John Topley.
Original Post: Unfinished eXPerience Redux
Feed Title: John Topley's Weblog
Feed URL: http://johntopley.com/posts.atom
Feed Description: John Topley's Weblog - some articles on Ruby on Rails development.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by John Topley
Latest Posts From John Topley's Weblog

Advertisement

Windows superstar Raymond Chen has provided explanations for a couple of the Windows XP user interface oddities that I wrote about previously. See Exhibit A: The Welcome Screen and Exhibit D: Notepad. In the meantime, I've found three more exhibits.

Exhibit I: Semi-Transparent Icons

Realistic representations?
A picture of semi-transparent icons
  • A lot of the icons in Windows XP are strangely semi-transparent. They look pretty but don't support the metaphors they represent. When was the last time you saw a Notepad with a clear cover, or a folder with a see-through flap?

Exhibit J: Taskbar and Start Menu Properties

• The property sheet for the Windows Taskbar and Start menu has always features a cool little graphic for illustrating what the various options do. Unfortunately in Windows XP Microsoft forgot to update the graphic from the beta (presumably) to reflect a design change in the shipping code. Notice the difference between the chevrons in the circular button that hides or shows the notification area icons:
Spot the difference.
A picture of the Taskbar and Start Menu property sheet

Exhibit K: Picture Viewer

• This is actually a positive exhibit that I thought I'd include to prove that Microsoft did get a lot of things right. I was archiving some photographs to CD-R using Windows XP's built-in burning functionality—it's convenient and I didn't need anything more sophisticated—when the wizard helpfully asked me if I wanted to include a picture viewer on the disc:
Maybe next time, but thanks for asking.
A picture of the CD writing wizard

Read: Unfinished eXPerience Redux

Topic: Design Challenge: Easy-To-Use XML Format for FormLayout Wanted Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Free Open Source Java Diamonds and Rubys You Never Knew Existed

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use