The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
We are committed to open source, no really, we are.

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Wolf Paulus

Nickname: wolfpaulus

Wolf Paulus is an experienced software developer focusing on Java, XML, Mac OS X, wireless/mobile ..
We are committed to open source, no really, we are. Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:24 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Wolf Paulus.
Original Post: We are committed to open source, no really, we are.
Feed Title: Wolf's Web Journal
Feed URL: http://wolfpaulus.com/feed/
Feed Description: Journal - dedicated to excellence, and motivated by enthusiasm to trying new things
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Wolf Paulus
Latest Posts From Wolf's Web Journal

Advertisement
A couple days back, I had the chance to talk to the senior director of software development of one of the fastest growing private companies in the US. Offering Software as a Service, the company uses lots of libraries but mainly MySQL and Java on the back-end and Apache and PHP to generate the presentation, nothing really surprising or out of the ordinary, I guess. The conversation was kind of boring until the senior director suddenly mentioned, "You know, we are heavily invested into open source" and one of his software development manager concurred, "We are really committed to open source, no really, we are."

Hmm, heavily invested and really committed to open source, right! Guess what this fast growing company had contributed, how many lines of code and how many person-hours of engineering time it had donated? Yes, you guessed correctly: nothing, zero lines, and not a single hour.
No monetary donation to any open source project was ever made, no single bug report to an open source project was ever submitted, not even a single feature request was ever sent.

"Heavily invested and really committed to open source " just sounds so much better than "being a freeloader that grows his business like crazy thanks to those code-monkeys that make all this cool and virtually bug-free software available under the BSD or Apache license ".

By no means am I against open-soure. In fact, I am the founder and principal developer of the Swixml XUL Engine, an open-source, Apache-licened library, available here swixml.org and here java.net. (Graphical User Interfaces are described in XML documents that are parsed and rendered into javax.swing objects at runtime.)
Neither do I think that everyone benefitting from an open-source project needs to give back to the community, (it certainly would be nice though). However, the meaning of "heavily invested and really committed to open source" should really mean some deeper involvement.
Wouldn't it be cool if senior directors and software development managers would proudly state to be really committed to open source and also put some money and resources to where their mouth is?

Read: We are committed to open source, no really, we are.

Topic: Links for 2008-02-11 [del.icio.us] Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Thinking about your users…. kids games

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use