The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
The NetBeans 6.0 Story Continued: Using The Profiler

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
The NetBeans 6.0 Story Continued: Using The Profiler Posted: Jan 31, 2008 9:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: The NetBeans 6.0 Story Continued: Using The Profiler
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

Weiqi Gao's Observation has made quite a few posts about NetBeans. Here's a list of the more interesting ones:

As you can see, my opinion on NetBeans has evolved quite a bit. And I believe it reflected the real progress that the NetBeans team has made in improving their product, which in turn reflects Sun's investment in this space.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am still an IntelliJ IDEA user. (I upgraded my personal license to 7.0 recently.) However, with NetBeans and Eclipse being open source and free, I also wanted to use features in these tools that are not freely available for IDEA.

Examples are: C++ development (both Eclispe and NetBeans), UML modeling (NetBeans 6.0), and Profiling (NetBeans 6.0).

I had an opportunity to use the NetBeans 6.0 Profiler recently. And I'm quite pleased with what it can do. Since my application is not very big, the actual time running the profiler, even with different sets of configuration parameters, are done very quickly. Most of my time were spent on "setting up the projects" in NetBeans 6.0, which isn't hard either, just time consuming. (This seems to be a good time to renew my call for a way to generate project files for IDEs from simple, easy to specify project dependency description files.)

Here's a few more of my observations after actually using NetBeans 6.0 for a short time:

• NetBeans 6.0 starts up fairly fast, and is pretty responsive during use
  • NetBeans 6.0 has a familiar feel to long time IDEA users
  • NetBeans 6.0 projects are like IDEA 7.0 modules
  • NetBeans 6.0 project groups are like IDEA 7.0 projects

• NetBeans 6.0 does not have a "Built All" menu item. I have to build the projects one at a time
  • NetBeans 6.0 does not have a "Run All Tests" menu item
  • NetBeans 6.0 has global libraries but not project level libraries
  • NetBeans 6.0 does not like it if project root is the same as the source path root
  • NetBeans 6.0 projects are expressed as a build.xml file that uses subordinate Ant files in a nbproject/ subdirectory
  • NetBeans 6.0 will built a jar for each project and put it in a dist/ subdirectory
  • You better not touch the NetBeans 6.0 generated Ant build files
  • When project B depends on project A, A/dist/A.jar is put into various classpaths for B
  • The tests are not jarred and even if B depends on A, A's tests can't be seen by B's tests, this is different from IDEA
  • NetBeans 6.0 disallows cyclic dependencies among projects (IDEA merely warns)
  • NetBeans 6.0's profiler is easy to learn and use
  • NetBeans 6.0 profiler output are very well organized and usefully presented
  • NetBeans 6.0 says it supports profiling junit tests, but I can't make it to work
  • When a project depends on a third party jar, there are two ways to specify that dependency: a Jar file dependency, which enables code completion but not debugging, ...
  • ... and to debug into a third party Jar, a "Library" (a Netbeans 6.0 concept) needs to be created with the proper paths and a Library dependency be created
  • And as far as I can tell, NetBeans 6.0 does not support certain IBM source control system

As you can see, as it stands, I can't use NetBeans 6.0 as the primary IDE for my project. However, I was able to setup NetBeans 6.0 projects to mirror my IDEA project/module structure in such a way that I can build and test everything, and run the profiler on test applications. I did gain valuable insight into the performance characteristics of my code. And for that I think my time playing with NetBeans 6.0 is well spent.

There is something magical about being able to profile your application. It's the same feeling I had when I first debugged into my Java application in the IDEA debugger.

Remember the time back then, when

System.out.println("x = " + x);

was considered a legitimate debugging technique?

A few years from now, we may view the pre NetBeans 6.0 time as the time when

long start = System.nanoTime();
doIt();
long end = System.nanoTime();
System.out.println(end - start);

was considered a legitimate profiling technique.

Read: The NetBeans 6.0 Story Continued: Using The Profiler

Topic: Updated Matisse4MyEclipse Swing GUI Designer Brings NetBeans 6 to Eclipse Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: It's just XML

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use