The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Journal Notes

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
Journal Notes Posted: Jan 24, 2008 1:39 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: Journal Notes
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement

Don't be light. Jury's out on whether the Air is the new hotness in laptops. Fwiw, I think it's cool in a superfluous kind of way. Otherwise I was disapponted with Jobs' keynote -  no ship date mentioned for the iPhone in Ireland. Sheesh, that's an *incredibly* *important* thing to be leaving out.

Make it stop. Namely the nauseating turn of phrase "Only Nine Nine Nine!". Note that Jobs said the Air was "Seventeen Ninety Nine!", not "One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety Nine!". On Irish TV at the moment there is an ad for some car which Sean Bean says is now only "Sixteen Nine Nine!" (the one you see is actually now only "Twenty Three Nine Nine!", but who's going to actually argue about a difference of "Six!". My wife has been watching this for years, and tracks this phrasing back to DFS UK furniture ads from the "Nineteen Nineties!". Frankly it's ruining consumer culture for us both. Make it stop before someone on the news says the US deficit is now only "Seventeen Twenty! (Million)" -  who'd actually be  bothered to sort that out?

Tomes. The first new books of 08 arrived in chez de hÓra. The Definitive Guide to Django. StalingradIntroductory Graph Theory. The New Turing Omnibus (thanks Jeff). Python in a Nutshell (for 2.5). Content Networking. I don't need the Django book, but it helps sometimes to say, "See! It has a book!"

Game on. Nintendo posts record figures, "The amount of money Nintendo is making this generation seems to be nearly limitless." In general, games are on the up and up: "The good news is that 2007 was a huge year for gaming: sales are up 43 percent from 2006, with $17.94 billion in sales in 2007 compared to $12.53 billion in 2006". I'll take video games over TV any day (having spent the weekend on the Star Wars Trilogy, Kingdom Hearts 2, and not actually turned on the TV except to watch a movie).

Read: Journal Notes

Topic: links for 2008-01-17 from PeopleOverProcess.com Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Is AppleTV accounted for as a subscription product?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use