The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
If It's Going To Be Full Closures Or Dead Java, I Choose...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
If It's Going To Be Full Closures Or Dead Java, I Choose... Posted: Jan 15, 2008 12:26 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: If It's Going To Be Full Closures Or Dead Java, I Choose...
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

... full closures, as in BGGA, because the prospect of Java dying will be a really hard pill to swallow.

I realize this is a switching of sides of some sort, as I was saying the opposite just 30 days ago.

And quite frankly, Mr. Gafter scared me into his side:

Neal Gafter: Personally, I believe rumors of Java's demise are greatly exaggerated. We should think of Java as a living language, and strive to eliminate much of the accidental complexity of Java programs. I believe it is worth adding support for closures and control abstraction, to reduce such complexity of both the sequential and concurrent aspects of our programs. At the same time, for completely new code bases, we should also consider (and continue to develop) newer languages such as Scala, which benefit from the lessons of Java.

The thinking behind my switching of sides is simple, and non-technical. While many evaluate the various proposals based solely on their technical merits, I base my decision on the roles people play in the Java ecosystem.

It's one thing for an outsider such as Bruce Tate, or even Bruce Eckel to run around saying Java is dead. It's something completely different for Mr. Javac (I still think of Neal Gafter as Mr. Javac) to say the same thing.

Have you seen the stream of people leaving the Java development team, be they program managers, lead developers, or evangelists? This happened after every major release of Java, starting with JDK 1.1. Sure you can always hire new people to fill the old roles, but it's not the same. They have different visions, styles, and agendas.

The bottom line, for me at least, is that we should not bite the hands that feed us. For the day when the last JDK developer leaves the room, Java is truly dead.

Please, Uncle Neal, give us closures. "And we shall like them!"

Read: If It's Going To Be Full Closures Or Dead Java, I Choose...

Topic: Links for 2008-01-04 [del.icio.us] Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Zed Shaw Interview

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use